1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is overeating a sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

What is Gluttony? Go through the trash cans of the typical American family, and weigh the amount of food. Nope, I do not have a specific reference for that one; however, considering that there are no weight tables in the Bible, and considering that our standard definition of Gluttony is so varied (i.e., does it refer to junk food, is it eating 100 lbs of carrots, etc.), I feel most comfortable with my idea of what it is. I guess it may go back to my Mom saying "There are people starving in China." but I believe that gluttony is taking more than you can use, or being wasteful.

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I have always understood gluttony to be a bunch of fat Romans stuffing their faces and then forcing regurgitation so that they could eat more while the proletariat went without.

How many Baptists sin on Thanksgiving if over-eating sometimes is a sin? (Answer, about 99% of them. The rest are in the hospital)

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Glutton;
    "One given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking."
    OR
    "A shaggy thickset carnivorous mammal of northern Europe and Asia related to the marten and sable. (of the weasel family)

Therefore; if you are a glutton, you are a weasel of a person who is greedy and habitually eats and drink voraciously.

Is THAT a sin? Probably. God hates greed. It is selfish and self centered. Hence, you are NOT loving others if you are greedy with anything. If you have so much excess food as to be able to be a glutton then you are NOT givng to others to relieve their lack. Hence, you are storing up your treasures here on earth. Hence, it is sin.

:rolleyes: AMERICANS. :rolleyes:

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

My stomach is a chicken cemetary!

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Yes. Eating is just like drinking, smoking, sexing, sleeping, and just about ing-ing thing else. We pay for overdoing anything on a consistent basis. When we hear that alarm of way over capacity “ding, ding, ding, that last ding-dong may not be to far away.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a poll on this matter, refer to Forum for Polls. It was placed there because polls in other forums get less responses.