1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Patriot Bible University A Good University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Larry Tellier, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Larry Tellier

Larry Tellier New Member

Is Patriot Bible University considered a good University to attend if I don't have alot of dough to prepare for the ministry ?

I am running out of options to prepare for the ministry because of lack of funds.:BangHead:

I do not want a mountain of federal student loan debt:tear:

Where can I attend a good Baptist College, University, Or Institute that is not considered a diploma mill ?

Desperate In Calvert County Maryland:praying:

Here is the link if you care to check it out:http://www.patriotuniversity.com/index.asp

#1 Larry Tellier, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Bible_University

Check out the Wikipedia article on it.

It's a degree mill...and any person submitting their resume to a church with a degree from such place would be highly suspect (in most every church that I know of.) Patriot University is a bad place to consider sending your precious dollars...imho

You're from MD...have you looked into the Southern extension at Silver Springs. More than likely you'll have to relocate in order to attend somewhere. check out Liberty's external programs too.

While I don't know about your particular theological leanings, a SBC serminary is always a good option when funds are questionable if you're a Southern Baptist and plan on remaining so after graduation

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    O, No! Don't give your hard earned money to Patriot Bible University! You would be better off at Andersonville.

You should look into Luther Rice University. They have online undergraduate (BA) and graduate (MA and MDiv) programs. Their tution is low ($185 per hour) and they don't require any oncampus studies. Luther Rice is fully accredited by TRACS and it boasts of some high profile graduates (Charles Stanley, Jerry Vines, John Ankerberg, etc).

4. Larry Tellier

Larry Tellier New Member

I was under the impression that Andersonville was a diploma mill as well.

5. Larry Tellier

Larry Tellier New Member

Do you know the link for SBC ?

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Of course I was not seriously suggesting that you enroll at Andersonville, that was sarcasm. :smilewinkgrin: However I was serious about Luther Rice.

Btw, I don't consider Andersonville a degree mill. I know some who have taken courses with Andersonville so I have seen their course requirements and they do require work. My "beef" with Andersonville is their lack of accreditation and that their "doctoral" programs are not as advanced as they should be. Those two problems aside I don't have that big of problem with them.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. NateT

NateT Member

Is it just me, or did anyone see the name of this school and instantly become suspicious? Unless a city or county was called "Patriot" or that was the state's nickname, why would you name a school "Patriot Bible"?

My advice would be to look at SBTS' extension centers. I've been in class with people from that center, and they really enjoyed it. Or try an online class at one the SBC seminaries (or any good school.) Even if you can only take one or two, it will help you get started, and it will also guide you for further areas of study. Before I came to SBTS, I took 2 theology classes online. Even if I didn't make it here, I had plenty of resources to guide me on where to look for more theological resources.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Depending on if it is a near imperative for you to stay where you are, for the present time, I would agree with Luther Rice, and add Liberty for 'distance' learning, as well. If you are already at Seminary level, I believe there is an off-site center of Southern Baptist Seminary, in Maryland, as well. I did read from your profile that you are 38. If you are a "non-traditional" student from the outset, and perhaps are not tied to Calvert Co., I might suggest Clear Creek Baptist Bible College in Pineville, KY, a So. Baptist Institution of the Kentucky Baptist Convention. A very sound and good school near you is Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary. That would definitely be worth checking out, as well. I have no knowledge of the number of coins needed for any of these, per se, but at one time considered perhaps Capital, myself.
    And finally, since you are in Maryland, you might contact or respond to fellow BB member Joseph M. Smith, who incidentally happened to be my own BSU Campus pastor at UK 40 years ago, and who has been or is involved in education including having taught, and may still, but I don't remember exactly, at the seminary level in your area, and would have some knowledge of what is available where you are, and who incidentally posts in this forum on a fairly regular basis.

Ed

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

BTW, I agree with the other poster's by and large who suggested avoiding 'diploma mills'. Why fool yourself? The old adage does apply that "you get what you pay for". Moody has not been the leading Bible Institute and College for a century by being a 'diploma mill'. Nor has SBTS and SWBTS been the leading So. Baptist Seminaries, nor Dallas the leading 'conservative' seminary in the world from 80+ to 150+ years by any of them tossing out diplomas and degrees for 'a check and a song'. Think about it.

Ed

11. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Well, good morning, Ed, and Original Poster as well. What you are remembering, sort of, is that I am [1] an adjunct professor at Wesley Theological Seminary (expensive!) and [2] a trustee of John Leland Center for Theological Studies, located in Arlington, VA (not so expensive, but more costly than SBC Extension programs). Leland is all-commuter -- there is no student housing -- it focuses on the non-traditional student and all its classes are held in the evenings or in weekend intensives. See www.johnlelandcenter.edu.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

See folks, Ask and ye shall receive!

Thanks, Joe.

Ed

13. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should also check out Southern Evangelical Bible College:
    www.ses.edu
    They have an excellent distance learning program that is much more than the typical distance programs. You'll find it to be reasonably priced and accredited. And with a distance program, you can work and pay your way through school, which is what I'm doing.

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

It might be a bit of a drive, but Biblical Theological Seminary in hatsfeild PA would also be a great option and relocation costs might be low...just a thought I have a lot of respect for Biblical Theological Seminary.

15. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I am just being curious. Is Patriot an advertizer in the Sword like Baptist College of America is(have you seen thier catalog?).:tonofbricks:

16. markdisbrow

markdisbrow New Member

Yes, Patriot Bible University is a good school

Consider who you take your advice from. Wikipedia is not necessarily a good source to get factual information particularly on topics requiring a Christian worldview.

Patriot has been in existence for 30 years. Diploma Mills are illegal, against the law. A diploma mill cannot exist for 30 years. The State of Colorado does not authorize diploma mills to operate.

There is a strong Biblical argument to be made against taking out student loans for college. Patriot tuition rates are designed to allow the student to pay 'as they go'.

We believe the product of higher education should be a Christian servant, skilled in the Word of God, trained in an area of service, and able to effectively utilize his education to the glory of God.

In God We Trust. Not the praise of men.

That being said, we pray God's bless on everyone in this thread. We appreciate all polite replies.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is joining the BB for the purpose of defending a diploma mill within BB guidelines, moderators?

18. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I stand by my statements and deeply question the quality of a degree of Patriot.

As the Director of Student Services I'm not sure why you feel compelled to dig up these old threads and reply, I would think an academician would take a higher road.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==From what I have seen, and heard, Patriot is at best borderline or at worst an actual degree-mill. Let's not forget that Patriot is the same "school" that gave Kent Hovind two of his "degrees". Hovind earned his BRE from an unaccredited school and a masters and doctorate from the unaccredited Patriot. The "dissertation" that Hovind wrote was, to be nice, offensively easy. The kind of sloppy work that he presented in his dissertation would have earned him an "F" at any real school. Let's be honest though, he would never get into a real doctoral program at a real seminary or university.

Like preachinjesus, I too am surprised that someone from Patriot would actually try to defend the school on this board. Why? Because this board is filled with Godly men and women who have real MA, MDiv, DMin, and PhD degrees. This board is filled with Godly men and women who teach at real colleges and seminaries. It would seem obvious that a sub-standard institution like Patriot cannot be well defended in this environment.

#19 Martin, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope not because I really want to see how markdisbrow deals with the facts when people who know what they are talking about compare Patriot to real seminaries. :thumbs: