1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rick Warren A Calvinist?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Hardsheller, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

So it seems like Warren is hated by many, resented by most, and labeled by almost all.

I'm sure he loses sleep over it every night.

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Or you could say he is loved by most, respected by most if not all who actually know him, and does not care what labels are pinned on him.

We had some "more concerned with Reformed theology" than "people coming to Christ" boys show up our service yesterday. It took them about 2 minutes to try and pin me down on "where I stood" on these issues. And it took me about equal time to tell them we don't focus on human systems but on reaching people with the gospel of Jesus Christ. We simply tell them and let God work out the details of how divine sovereignty and human responsibility meet.

As I have said on more than one occasion, the average Christian's knowledge far exceeds their level of obedience and sacrifice.

Warren focuses on the right things and I applaud him for it.

3. BadDog

BadDog Guest

From what I've read of your quotes, I see nothing in which he claims to be Reformed, nor any reformed doctrines. he seems to be purposely avoiding such theological discussions, so as to focus on Christian growth. I can't fault him on that since he does encourage and require extensivetheological training for staff and workers.

FWIW,

BD

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Theologically, I am a monergist and firmly hold to the five solas of the Reformation. It's pretty obvious from the book that I believe in foreknowledge, predestination, (see chapter two, "You Are Not An Accident") and, especially, concurrence -- that God works in and through every detail of our lives, even our sinful choices, to cause his purposes to prevail."

The last time I checked the five solas of the Reformation pretty much sum up Reformed Theology.