1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Star Wars evil?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ATeenageChristian, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not everything in life that beings us contentment is for a Godly purpose. I don't watch I Love Lucy or Jeopardy for a Godly purpose (I watch tem because they entertain me). I didn't remodel my kitchen for a Godly purpose (I did it because I have a distaste for avocado and pumpkin). And I don't shop at Ikea for a Godly purpose (I do it because I'm cheap).

Most of us wipe our backsides after using the restroom. We do it because it brings us contentment, not for a Godly purpose. However, I'm sure we'd agree that NOT wiping our backsides could be ungodly [​IMG]

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

[ June 26, 2002, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam's question reminded me of Charles Sheldon's classic In His Steps where the pastor challenged the congregation to ask "What would Jesus do?" before doing anything.

So, my question. Would Jesus go to see Star Wars if He were here on earth?

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Actually Aaron,

I believe he just might do exactly that! Christ met sinners right where they are (Max Lucado, Just Like Jesus is an excellent book). Though he did not partake in their sin. We have established already though that watching a movie is not in and of itself sinful, and we know that Christ did take periods of rest from His ministry (he did have man's limitations despite being God).

Thus I suggest that if He lived today, he very well may have attended an icecream social, went backpacking in the woods, or even sat down with friends and family to a good board game of Outburst or a family movie.

Brother Adam

5. longshot

longshot New Member

Hi Aaron,
    In the culture of their times, Jesus eating with a tax collector (Luke 5:27) or asking the Samaritan woman for a drink (John 8:3) would make seeing a Star Wars movie pretty tame.
    I ask this in all seriousness Aaron, and I respect your beliefs and will not belittle them, but in what form do you find your entertainment, if any? Thanks. [​IMG]

6. ATeenageChristian

ATeenageChristian New Member

I never imagined this thread would go up to five pages! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not for me to prove that Jesus would have abstained from profane and vain babblings (e.g. Star Wars). I think it is for you to provide scriptural support for the indulgence of amusements.

8. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

No, its up to you to first prove that they were evil. Oh wait- you can't ;)

Bro. Adam

9. Optional

Optional New Member

I suppose by your standards - there go my camping, hunting and fishing trips!
    There goes family movie night with the grandkids!

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can prove it's profane and vain.

I'm still waiting for something whether explicit or implicit where God desires us to take some time off to have some "fun," and "not take the world so seriously."

[ June 27, 2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

11. Mark-in-Tx

Mark-in-Tx New Member

Jesus first Miracle was at a wedding in Cana. These weddings lasted a week long. They had entertainment and fellowship. I believe with all my heart that Jesus did and would take some time too enjoy the company of others and too enjoy himself.

[​IMG]

PS if Jesus were in our time period I believe he could have gone to see Star Wars.

[ June 27, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Mark-in-Tx ]