1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Bible Divinely Inspired by God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Do you believe or not believe in the plenary verbal inspiration of the Scriptures? Do you believe that the Scriptures were given to man by a ‘decisive procedure’ designed and implemented by God Himself?

2. dfj

dfj New Member

Is It Truly Scripture?

If by "Verbal, Plenary Inspiration", you mean that all Scripture is God breathed, inspired of God, (theopneustos in 2 Timothy 3:16).

I would humbly agree.

Now all that remains is to understand the Preceptual nature of Scripture as it applies to all Translations of the Greek, Hebrew, Latin and Aramaic/Coptic Texts.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: That is a clearly debatable subject. This is a debate forum. Proceed. :thumbs:

4. dfj

dfj New Member

I had mentioned, "Now all that remains is to understand the Preceptual nature of Scripture as it applies to all Translations of the Greek, Hebrew, Latin and Aramaic/Coptic Texts."

Where would you like to start?

1) All that remains is to understand the Preceptual nature of Scripture - (I prefer this one).

2) As it applies to all Translations

3) Or a specific Greek, Hebrew, Latin or Aramaic/Coptic Text.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: That is fine. I just do not desire this to get too protracted to limit the input of others as to whether of not they believe Scripture is in fact Divinely Inspired. That is the thrust of this thread.

As we proced, all others wishing to repond feel free to go directly to the OP to inject your comments regardless of where we are at on other side issues. :thumbs:

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Feel free to proceed with your explanation.

7. dfj

dfj New Member

Precepts

No explanation necessary. We just, simply, look at the generation of the correct Precept for each verse in question.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Now that needs some serious explaining as to how one accomplishes that.

9. dfj

dfj New Member

Simplicity

Simplicity is the answer.

1) View the verse
    2) Be lead by the Spirit of God
    3) Comprehend/apprehend the nature and intent of the Precept
    4) Apply/test the Precept
    5) Make a determination, (is it of God?)

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: That has a nice ring to it.:)

HP: Simple enough

HP: Now we have moved from simplicity to the complex. Can one be lead by the Spirit that has not even the belief that the Scriptures are inspired Word of God?

HP: My goodness dfj. Do you call that simplistic? Just a bit subjective would you not agree, or are only those that agree with your conclusions lead by the Spirit?

Let’s stop here for now and discuss #2&#3

11. dfj

dfj New Member

Not Complicated

I take it for granted that we are, here, speaking of those who believe that the Scriptures are, indeed, the Word(s) of god

#2 Be lead by the Spirit of God!

That should be simple enough, perhaps not easy because it requires true humility before God and a real love for His Word(s) and His people.

#3 One should be in a position to test a precept if one is willing enough.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I believe it to be true that W&H did NOT believe in the inspiration of Scripture.

13. dfj

dfj New Member

Wescott & Hort

The question of Westcott and Hort's orthodoxy has come up a few times in the past, but I haven't pursued it. If they were the only New Testament scholars who endorsed the various texts which underlie the newer translations, I might have reason to hold them suspect. But they aren't. Conservative scholarship has been behind the newer translations such as the NASB, the NIV, and the ESV (English Standard Version).

Do you have a particular problem with them?

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Please do not get me to laughing too hard, as I am still eating my breakfast. :thumbs: Conservative according to who or what standard??

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

According to historical orthodoxy. KJVO is a new doctrine that has not basis in the Bible or in the orthodox doctrines of the Bible, and no true believer should be persuaded by it. It is merely an attack on God's word. IF you took the time to study, you would know that true orthodox biblical scholarship has always been supportive of modern versions, just as they were in 1611.

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

17. dfj

dfj New Member

24/7

I am still persuaded HP, that if I could take you away from your breakfast long enough and get you to settle on the verses in the NIV, (just to start with), which you feel have really deceived anyone, I, for one, would be more than willing to spend whatever time it would take to set the record straight.

If not, then I will finish my lunch.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Eat on my friend. :thumbs: There is not enough time left on this earth to explain away the changes made in the NIV. Take whatever version you have faith in to guide you safely home and I will do the same. God will set the record straight as to what was His Word was and what it was not in due time. No offense, but as for me, I will stick with the KJV. :thumbs:

19. dfj

dfj New Member

Now there is the perfect cop-out, spoken like a true hyper calvinist! :godisgood:

20. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I have to believe that the answer is a Yes. Consider: No man comes to the Father except the Spirit draw Him...

A better question might be can The Spirit lead or draw someone who is not truely amenable or seeking Truth?

Again, I'd give a qualified yes... While you can't lead a horse to water and make them drink... You can lead them around in the dessert until they get thristy enough to drink from the right well...

Mike Sr.