1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Church of Christ a cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist6589, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good advice. These days, I've taken to asking "who do you say Jesus is?" The answer typically helps me understand what they believe, and leads to more opportunities to witness.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I may - instead of asking which tract to use, how about simply writing to them what YOU believe?

I'm not against tracts; I'm against an over-reliance on them.

For example, you wrote first; they took the time to write back. But then you sent them a tract. At this point, I would write you off. Here they were, thinking you and they were going to reason out the scriptures together; but you couldn't be bothered to actually reason with them, and sent them a "canned letter" (a tract) instead. You might as well be offering subscriptions to a magazine, or Dish network, or the latest offer from the local auto dealership.

Just something to think about. My personal opinion, not worth the 25 cents it took to send the electrons.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you assume too much. I always write letters and include tracts in all my mailings. I never just send off tracts without a letter.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bye the way what are you going to do with the website I sent you? Mail off letters and tracts to the apostates in your area?

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The United Church of Christ mainly descends from the Puritan churches of colonial New England. Most of those who didn't turn Unitarian ended up joining with a German Reformed group in creating the United Church of Christ in the mid 1900s.

Mark Dever got his start as a United Church of Christ minister at this congregation in Massachusetts: http://topsfieldchurch.org/

Churches of Christ are one segment of the Restorationist Movement, a schism from Baptists in the 1800s:

http://www.leroygarrett.org/restorationreview/article.htm?rr18_04/rr18_04b.htm&18&4&1976

"Our original founders, the four pillars of our Movement, were all Presbyterians: Thomas and Alexander Campbell, Barton W. Stone and Walter Scott. But the masses that came into our ranks during the first generation, 1809-1830, were not Presbyterians but Baptists."

"Hundreds of these Baptist churches came into the Movement, as if by osmosis. They gradually imbibed 'Campbellism', as it was called, until they were no longer considered orthodox Baptist churches, and so they were dubbed 'Reformed Baptists'."

"These 'Reformed Baptists' finally lost all identification as Baptists and became known as 'Disciples of Christ', the name preferred by Alexander Campbell, but also as 'Church of Christ' and 'Christian Church'."

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But listing the gospel essentials on a website is not a gospel essential. ;)

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying that churches should not be concerned with sound doctrine? Just believe whatever you wish heh? How can one tell the difference between a solid christian church, and a false progressive church?

John

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They ordain "forbidden topic" peoples, and they seem to be very progressive in my area. How can you call them Christians? Progressive Christianity in another gospel.

John

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you are saying that sound doctrine necessitates maintaining a webpage explaining one's beliefs, and if a church's website is not detailed enough it's members are going to Hell.

You said that if a church does not list the gospel essentials on it's website then it is a false church. I said, with a smiley, that the gospel does not include listing gospel essentials on a website. I was pointing out what I thought was obvious, and doing so lighthearted. I just didn't anticipate you taking exception....wow...I don't think you mean to disagree, John. I think (hope) that you just read over it quickly. But if not, I will clarify. If a church holds firm to the gospel of Jesus Christ, then it is a true church even if it fails to list the gospel fundamentals on their website.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. The area where I live is rural and small enough that we don't have to worry about those kinds of churches. We all meet for coffee, discuss our differences, then head out for work or to check on the cows.

And it's "by," not "bye." "Bye" is a shortening of "good-bye." You wouldn't say "good-bye the way," so you shouldn't use "bye the way." I let it slide the first time or two, but I see you starting to use it more, so thought I'd point it out.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sue you are aware that the United Church of Christ is in no way connected with the Church of Christ.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in my area by the way.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is possible a church may hold to the essentials yet not post them on a site but these cases are very very very rare.

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I would contend the opposite. Many small churches may be theologically sound, but either have no one with the ability of drive to generate a perfect website. A website devoid of a statement of faith should in no way be indicated that they are a false church. Only a bad statement of faith should be.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have visited dozens of sites and have yet to see a lack of statement of faith by sound churches. But then again I am in a large city. Out in the boondocks I am not sure of church websites. But the boondocks is the minority as most live in the city.

Lacking a solid statement of faith speaks volumes. It speaks that they may not take doctrine seriously.

16. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad you're not the judge, then. I just checked our church website, and we don't have a statement of faith on there. And we're in a town of about 16,000 just outside of Little Rock.

We do have a plan of salvation on there, and a statement that we unapologetically preach the Bible. But in my few minutes of browsing on my tablet I didn't see a statement of faith.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may mean they don't understand the internet or websites -- as Sapper pointed out -- and they're treating it like a Yellow Pages advertisement instead of a communication tool. That's been my experience, *especially* among smaller churches, whether they be in cities or rural locations. Some new church start-ups may not even have it officially printed, voted on/approved by the church membership yet, etc.; there's all kinds of reasons why a church website may not have their doctrinal statement published. Using websites and social media as ministry tools is a subject that's only recently started being addressed in seminaries.

In some cases, the pastor of the church has heard that having a website is a good idea; but the only person in his church that knows anything about websites is a 16-year old. A church I went to a couple of years ago didn't even have the 16-year old; and it took me a while to get them to start using a Facebook page for their church.

If you come across a website that doesn't display their "statement of beliefs" or doctrinal statement, then you should do exactly what you've been doing with the "questionable" ones: contact that church, and ask them for their statement. If/when they provide one, you should gently suggest to them that they should make that an important part of their website.

If they won't share it when requested, THEN you have a seriously weird situation on your hands, and you should avoid that church.

18. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live between two of these churches and they are the hardcore CoC. Unless you are in the CoC and have been baptized in the manner of Acts 2:38, you're as lost as a ball in tall weeds, and that ball is painted green.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's too bad. But then again these kinds of churches are in the minority's.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such churches are in the dominant minority these days in my experience. But then again I live in a major city. However when I was in Greenville, SC yes there were churches out there that did not have websites, or did not have developed ones. But I never contacted churches out there, because 99% of them were Baptist and all believed the same thing pretty much.