1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is the NEW nature In Christ the Holy Spirit Indwelling us?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Nov 21, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree that He came in the flesh for us, because He was/is our sacrificial Lamb. But He came in the likeness of sinful flesh. He was/is the spotless Lamb of God.

A living soul is a soul saved by God. The dead becomes dead in sins and trespasses when God imputes sin unto it. It needs to be restored by God, and is brought back to life. The soul is the inner man, and is not part of the physical body.

I would agree with this.

Agreed.

The living soul will never die. Our soul will return to God when we die, and the flesh will molder back to the dust(Ecc. 12:7). God gives the soul, and the flesh He forms from the union of sperm-egg.

The living soul will never die. Our soul will return to God when we die, and the flesh will molder back to the dust(Ecc. 12:7). God gives the soul, and the flesh He forms from the union of sperm-egg.(I cut and copied this again to save time in this post)

We will be judged? I think it is more like our sentence is rendered by the Judge. When we are resurrected, we will be either a Sheep or goat. We have been judged either "guilty" or "not guilty" when our soul leaves our body. In Luke 16, when Lazarus and the rich man died, one went up, the other down, as soon as they died. Some will be found "not guilty" and the other "guilty" as soon as they died. Now, they are in their respective "holding cell" till the Judge comes, and then those who died lost, will come out of hell, and tossed in the lake of fire, to torment forever. Those who died saved, they will be given their new spiritual body, and gathered into heaven, to be with God for eternity.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Oh yes Jesus did become sin for us. Every sin past, present, and future were placed upon Him, and He took all of them to the cross and nailed them to the cross. He, Himself, was sinless, but became sin for us. IOW, He bore our iniquities upon His flesh on the cross.

Here is an OT "type" of Christ:

Leviticus 16:20-22
    20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat:

21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

So, eventhough Jesus was truly not a goat, He became one for us.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The soul, the person Jesus who lived a little over thirty three years then died for you and me, was not left in Hades. The soul Jesus, the person was resurrected from Hades after three days and three nights as a quickening Spirit no more to return to corruption. Flesh and bone spiritual man the Son of God a new creation in whose image we may obtain also by resurrection.)

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Percho posted this:

They did die. But did God take and place them in a tomb somewhere, or did He just drive them out of the Garden? The soul died(seperation from God), and God placed a flaming sword and cherubim betwixt them(Adam and Eve) and the Tree of Life(Jesus). If the soul died like our physical, we would die also. The soul is what keeps our heart pumping, our lunging inhaling and exhaling, our brain to function. When the soul leaves the body, our physical body ceases to function(seperation of soul from body). So if our soul is dead in this fashion, we can not live altogether.

Hebrew word for Spirit in Ecc. 12:7 ruwach רוּחַ

wind, breath, mind, spirit

a) breath

b) wind

1) of heaven

2) quarter (of wind), side

3) breath of air

4) air, gas

5) vain, empty thing

c) spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation)

So, what you see here, is the inner man, the soul/spirit of a man. Man is two parts, and not three, as some suggest on here. We are flash and soul/spirit.

Greek word for spirit: pneuma πνεῦμα

1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son

a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)

b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")

c) never referred to as a depersonalised force

2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated

a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides

b) the soul

Another Greek word used for spirit: phantasma φάντασμα

1) an appearance

2) an apparition, spectre

So the two Greek words used for "spirit" are referring to the inner man, the soul. The two words are G4151(which is used the majority of the time), and G5326.

Jesus' soul never went to hell, but to God, when He stated, "Into thy hands I commend my Spirit". Jesus came forth on that third morning, correct. However, His soul never went to the grave, let alone hell. But that is an entirely different topic.

#64 convicted1, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why imply that I said the flesh was the sin nature? Can you not read. Why not answer my questions? What are you doing, behaving like a Calvinist?

What did Jesus mean when He said the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak? Why not belly up to the challenge and present your position? What did Paul mean when he said make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts. Why change the subject to me wanting it both ways.

Tell me your position, and save the smoke screen response.

I have yet to meet a Calvinist willing to actually present doctrinal discussion, now I fear you seem to have gone to the same church.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Convicted, see how many verses you can find that say Jesus became sin for us and how many say He became a sin offering for us. You have one variant of one verse. I have the same verse with another variant plus several more. Sound study requires my view. As far as the OT scapegoat type, yes Jesus really did take way our sin, the circumcision done without hands. But He did not become sin in order to nail them to the cross.

#66 Van, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The man became dead in trespass and sin. Lit. Dying, Thou shall surly die. from YLT Dying, thou dost die.
    He did not totally die that day but he begin the process. And the day the breath of the spirit of life left him, he Adam the once living soul was dead.

The bible never calls man the soul, spirit. Thayer quotes two verses he believes implies the soul apart from the body being spirit. Heb 12:23 and 1 Peter 3:19. Let me just say, you have to read between many lines to make them say that.

He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

It this doesn't say that because of the resurrection that the soul of Jesus was not left in Hades then just what does it say? And by the way it says soul not spirit. Three days and three nights before his resurrection Jesus had commended his spirit (that is the life giving spirit from God) into the hands of his Father.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the new nature the Holy Spirit indwelling us?

In a word, NOPE.

We are a new creation, we have undergo the circumcision of Christ and have been made alive together with Christ.

So before we were "born again" when had our human Spirit with its separation from God, i.e. dead in its tresspasses, and its corruption due to the consequence of the Fall. When Adam's "eyes were opened" notice that Eve's eyes were also opened, so something spiritual happened to corrupt her. Subsequently, all mankind are conceived with a spiritualy corrupted human spirit. But it gets worse. Our human Spirit which is our core, our soul, our inner man, is clothed in flesh with its desires for comfort and security. Our flesh tempts us with its lusts, such as greed for a bigger house and a faster car which are manifestations of a love of money or what the world offers.

After we are born again, we still are clothed in flesh with its lusts, but our human spirit has been altered, circumcised by Christ and made alive together with Christ. The corruption has been removed. Now we are created for good works. And to help us grow more Christ like into Christian maturity, we have our helper, the indwelt Holy Spiirt.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

2 Cor. 5:21 - He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (NASB)

2 Cor. 5:21 - For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (KJV)

Greek Rendering of the phrase in question: ὑπὲρ(for, on behalf of) ἡμῶν(us) ἁμαρτίαν(sin) ἐποίησεν(he made).

Every major greek text has the phrase: ἁμαρτίαν ἐποίησεν (Sin he made). In English we render it correctly as "He made (HIM...the one not knowing sin, ie, Jesus) ...SIN."

See also: 1 Peter 2:24 - And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

Greek literally translated would read "The sins of us himself bore in the body of him on the tree."

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the answer is ... one verse, 2 Corinthians 5:21. And a variant of the verse reads for a sin offering.

Now how many say Jesus was made a sin offering? Romans 8:3.

3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, [NASB]

Does 1 Peter 2:24 say Jesus became sin? Nope. Scripture says He bore our sins in His body. Thus like a scapegoat He carried way our sins.

Next we need to turn to Hebrews chapter 10. How does Hebrews 10:10 read? Does it not say we have been sanctified or made holy through the "sacrifice" of the body of Jesus. Then in verse 12 we have Jesus offering a single sacrifice for all sins. Then in verse 14 we get a single offering.

There is no need to go on. Jesus did not become sin for us, He became a sin offering for us.

#70 Van, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

jesus was the lamb of God, who though bore our sins as our sacrifical representative before the Father NEVER ever became actual sin, never changed his sinless nature to being a sinner...

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That variant has a footnote.

The variant for Rom. 8:3 has a footnote also.

Jesus bore our sins, true, however that in no way takes away the Greek that says he became sin for us.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to 12 Strings

#74 Van, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
  15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It is also foretold in Leviticus 16 how Jesus was compared to a goat who Aaron would lay his hands upon the goat's head, and confess all the sins of Israel, and then be led away by a fit man. That was a "type" of Christ in the OT. He became a "goat", or sin, for us, eventhough He knew no sin.

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

17. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

Hi freeatlast,

Why should we believe that 1 John 3:9 should be understood as saying that "he cannot (practice) sin"?

I believe that John meant "he cannot sin" because we see him saying the following later in the same epistle:

"We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not" (1 Jn.5:18).

Thanks!

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi 12 Strings, recall that only one translation choice of one verse says sin, the other translation choice says sin offering, and many other verses say sin offering whereas no other verse say Jesus became sin.

So rather than point to all the translations that chose sin, which creates a paradox, how could Jesus be sin if He was a sinless sacrifice.

I often get into trouble because I point out that the majority view does not agree with the bible contextually considered, and this is another case. As a minimalist, what is the minimum Paul is teaching? That Jesus became a sin offering. To go beyond that based on one translation choice of one verse is unsound to the extreme.

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

#79 12strings, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi 12 Strings, I do not think your "nearly every biblcal and language expert agrees" statement is valid. If you read the commentaries of Barnes and Clark, they present well studied views in total agreement with me. Remember the concept concordance. Over 90 times that same word is translated sin offering or offering for sin in the Septuigint. Which is to say a Hebrew word or phrase, which is translated into English as sin offering or offering for sin, is translated into the word found in 2 Corinthians 5:21. So a concordant translation, where the same idea is translated in the same way would read sin offering or offering for sin.

Here is the link to Barnes and others: http://bible.cc/2_corinthians/5-21.htm