1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the US a Christian nation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Eltrow, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

I'd like to know where or when God made a covenant with America as He did with Israel.

2. J4KC35

J4KC35 New Member

The US was based on Christianity, but is not holy land.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

A lot of the writers of the Constitution were Deists; some were Christians. The pilgrims in MA were Christians but they were not very nice to other Christians.

I think the people who came here were fleeing unfair taxes and religious persecution and God graciously gave them this opportunity but that does not make the U.S. a Christian country. There is no convenant between God and the U.S.

Of course, I don't think a country can be Christian anyway. Only individuals can be Christian.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no such thing as a Christian nation. America is not a Christian nation, and never was, although it was founded on Judeo-Christian ethics.
    We are not a theocracy. America is a republic. Its leader is a president, not God. True born-again Christians, if anything, are in the minority. Humanism is the religion of the nation, not Christianity. That is what is at the foundation of all of our public educational institutions. Even Islam in America, is growing faster than Christianity is. America is not a Christian nation.
    DHK

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Two different questions.

This was at one time a very great Christian nation but is increasingly becoming less and less so. There never was a national covenant that God made with America and I have never heard anyone even hint that there was. There were sufficient numbers of Christians who were determined to have a country with Christian principles. Some were sincere some were not. Because of the numbers of people who wanted this it was established and had an pverall character that was closer to Christianity than any other nation previously established.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Define "A lot". Does it = .2%? (The number of early colonists who claimed not to be Christians)

Define "some". Does it = 99.8%? (The number of early colonists who claimed to be Christians.

Therefore, there are no Christian Churches, Christian schools, or Christian groups of anykind.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Therefore, there are no Christian Churches, Christian schools, or Christian groups of anykind. </font>[/QUOTE]I belong to an IFB church. Our constitution says that every member must be saved and baptized. Thus who ever is not saved is by default not a member. Our church is made up only of saved members.
    DHK

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Define "A lot". Does it = .2%? (The number of early colonists who claimed not to be Christians)

Define "some". Does it = 99.8%? (The number of early colonists who claimed to be Christians.

Therefore, there are no Christian Churches, Christian schools, or Christian groups of anykind.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I would have to research the 1st question, but I don't think B. Franklin nor Jefferson were Christians. George Washington was a Mason and that always bothered me. I don't tend to romanticize historical figures or, actually, anybody. I am not a romantic nor an idealist. I tend to be a cynic, actually, based on life experience. God has softened me quite a bit.

Schools and churches are run very differently from countries and governments.

A Christian school does not necessarily have all Christian students though the name implies it was started by and is maybe run by a Christian organization or church. That is how most people would understand it.

There are non-Christian churches but a Christian church is based on Christian belief and doctrine.

The US is not Christian since we are not a theocracy. To have a Christian country I would think this would be necessary at the leaast, but even then it does not mean everyone is Christian. Even when you supposedly have Christian countries, it means a state church. But if you look at those countries, they don't seem very Christian in practice. The UK has an official church religion -- Anglican. And Germany has Lutheran, I believe (though Bavaria is Catholic). Greece is officially Greek Orthodox. I knew someone from Greece who said that when you born there you automatically go on the rolls of the Greek Orthodox Church. But would I call those countries Christian in actuality? No.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

He didn't

10. Brother Tim

Brother Tim New Member

I feel that the United States is at this moment tasked with sending out missionaries. Just as Great Briton was in the last century.

100 years ago, England was the world's superpower. The mightyest empire existing. "The sun never sets on the British Empire" people would say. English churches in those days sent missionaries all over the globe. Her churches were so tasked.

Now, if you could time travel back to London in 1904 and ask someone on the street a few questions, it might go something like this:

Sir, do you believe that the Empire will be as powerful in 2004 as it is today?

Absolutely.

Do you believe your churches will be around in 2004 as they are today?

Of course.

That's something to consider. The churches in Briton are weak today. And England is being visited by missionaries from South America, the Philipines and various African nations.

So, how will it be here in America in 2104? I expect to see missionaries from today's 3rd world countries on our streets. We still in America have many who are on fire for the Lord, but so did England in 1904.

As the British collapsed from within spiritually, so I feel it will happen to us. The torch of the missionary will be passed to someone else.

Wouldn't it be an incredible blessing in 2045, to have missionaries spreading the good news in this country from China? China has the largest population on Earth. 1 out of 5 human beings on the Earth is Chinese. Truly I believe God will use these people.

I also must point out how the corruption and attrocities perpetrated by some Europeans of the last century has somehow been laid at the feet of Christians. How did that happen? The genocide against the American Indian was the work of Darwinists. The killing of millions of people in this country was due to a field study in anthropology. People who wanted a database of people to classify like breeds of dogs felt no trouble collecting skulls of Native Americans. Somehow, the Christians are to blame.

That's a troubling point, but ironic. If someone tries to blame Christianity for the murder of the American Indian, tell them it's true because the Christians failed to stop Darwinism.

11. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Brother Tim [​IMG] Right on the money. In psalm 33:12 it states: blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord;...

I would have to come to the conclusion that God will bless any Nation that will call him the Lord. Since the United States was founded as a Christian nation we were blessed thus far, but unfortunatly, we are falling from our Christian principles, and turning away from God, as a Nation, as a whole. Even alot of the churches Satan has a foothold in, Churches allowing homosexual bishops, and female pastors, turning away from the King James Bible, for other perverted , and twisted Translations, some Churches have even started Nightclubs , and professional wrestleing (CWF), and have strayed from the word of God, gotten a laxxed, if it feels good do it attitude referred to being "open-minded", God tells us to protect our thoughts, with the decline of the Church so will our Nation go. [​IMG]

12. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

Two different questions.

This was at one time a very great Christian nation but is increasingly becoming less and less so. There never was a national covenant that God made with America and I have never heard anyone even hint that there was. There were sufficient numbers of Christians who were determined to have a country with Christian principles. Some were sincere some were not. Because of the numbers of people who wanted this it was established and had an pverall character that was closer to Christianity than any other nation previously established.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Very Good [​IMG]

13. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

Q: What does God think of rebellion against Authority?