1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a preacher in the house?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TaterTot, Jul 26, 2006.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I am preparing a Bible study for my teens and we have been going systematically thru Colossians. We are in the final greetings of Ch 4:7-end and I was wondering something. There doesnt seem to be overtly much to apply to daily life in these final verses, but i wonder if it is responsible to go this route with it:

We know that Mark and Paul had had a little tiff that caused them to part ways, and in this passage we see that Mark is with Paul again, telling us that they had eventually made things right and Mark was restored to being a faithful and useful servant ("Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry." 2 Tim 4:11 - which we know was written afterward)

If I havent rambled on too much and you actually follow my thought here, what do you think? Or am I missing something I could use elsewhere in the passage?

Here's the passage so you dont have to look it up

7Tychicus will tell you all the news about me. He is a dear brother, a faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord. 8I am sending him to you for the express purpose that you may know about our[a] circumstances and that he may encourage your hearts. 9He is coming with Onesimus, our faithful and dear brother, who is one of you. They will tell you everything that is happening here. 10My fellow prisoner Aristarchus sends you his greetings, as does Mark, the cousin of Barnabas. (You have received instructions about him; if he comes to you, welcome him.) 11Jesus, who is called Justus, also sends greetings. These are the only Jews among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God, and they have proved a comfort to me. 12Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured. 13I vouch for him that he is working hard for you and for those at Laodicea and Hierapolis. 14Our dear friend Luke, the doctor, and Demas send greetings. 15Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house. 16After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea. 17Tell Archippus: "See to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord." 18I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with you.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2Ti 4:10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia.

That might be relevant as well.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think that what you have is good and responsible.

I think you could also make application on the point that individual people matter to Paul and they should matter to us.

Also the wrestling in prayer item in there could be brought out as well.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thanks, guys. I have the Demas passage cross-referenced too. Forgot to say that.
    Several weeks back we focussed in on the wrestling concept as it appeared in the text, and we will revisit that as well.
    I just wasnt sure if it would be responsible to get my points from cross references - other than the fact that individuals matter, and I will use that.
    Thanks so much yalL!

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

So how about these points?

1) People matter - he named all these: Tychicus, Onesimus, Aristarchus, Mark, Barnabas, Justus, Epahras, Luke, Demas, Nympha, Archippus. (He named people that had deserted him and that would desert him.)

2) Prayer matters - Epaphras is "wrestling for you” in prayer.

3) Persistence matters - Paul ends the letter by encouraging Archippus to continue on.

Is this ok? Am I still missing something?

6. PastorSBC1303

Looks good to me, should work fine.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

those are all good.

The wrestling in prayer really stood out to me as I read the passage -- and notice that his prayer was specific as he wrestled. that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured. Wow! Is someone praying for me like that? I've got to admit that I'm lax in my prayer on that. (Well, now I'm convicted!)

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

probably convicted, cause you aint a preacher!!! :tongue3: naaaah.

Earlier in the book, we read in Colossians 2:1I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. 2My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, ...

I just think thats wonderful. I know I dont wrestle enough in prayer. But the times I have done that have been so meaningful. Why do we neglect it?

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

*sniff*, humbly hanging my head for thinking I could jump in anywhere . . .

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

well, notice that the title had "preacher" in it, not pastor. I know us women can flat preach :)

Nah, the only reason I put it in here was so it wouldnt get debated and turned into a freak show. Your comments are always welcome!!

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Tater -- I'm always buttin' in. I know no bounds :D You are a sweetie!

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

lol, well apparently I dont either! I guess both us lower life forms should quietly tiptoe off the premesis before we start loudly usurping :laugh:

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My DH did the same with our college ministry and I asked him about it tonight at dinner. He said at this point in the Scripture, he did a character study on each of the names and talked about each of the different people and who/what they were. He said it was very good! He ran up to church tonight to pick up my daughter from youth group and was going to check to see if he could find his notes but it turns out there were very few kids there and Nicole was one of the last ones so he didn't have time to go check. He'll check tomorrow and let me know if he can find them.

Ann

14. PastorSBC1303

Did ya have the study tonight? If so, how did it go?

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I thought it went really well. My DH even said he was going to steal it. But as "some" have said before, "I have seen worse". :tongue3:

16. PastorSBC1303

:tongue3: Well glad it went well.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm glad it went well to Tater! High praise when the preacher wants to quote you :D