1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a strict order how to get saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Janosik

Janosik New Member

So how I am suppose to examine my heart?

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

3. Janosik

Janosik New Member

Well, lf I read that would it be enough? Is it enough to read it once?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But Jesus didn't say that in Jn 3.16 or other places in John. The word "repent" does not appear in John at all.

I knew I was separated from God but I did not understand sin nor was I thinking, "I am a sinner and I need salvation." Those words were not in part of my view of reality. I knew I needed Jesus as the Savior to be with God after death and that I had been wrong in my former spiritual beliefs. But the word "sin" did not enter into it.

To turn to Christ as Savior is repenting.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It was a little different for me. I knew I was a sinner and if I did not repent then Hell would be my home. I knew that I must repent and open the door of my heart and accept Jesus into my life. (which is a lot more than just the words I just posted).
    To me, repentance is to have a Godly sorrow which is to be sorrow for your sins which will work a repentance. The opposite of that is to have a "wordly sorrow", which worketh death.

It all come back to the Spirit of God striving with all men to repent.

I went to a funeral yesterday and a CoG preacher said "they say Jesus says come unto me to all" and he continued, I wish someone would show me that in the bible. I thought of the scripture where He said " I stand at the door and knock and if any man will hear my voice, I will come in and sup with him and he with Me. Also, I thought of He said in OT "come unto me all ye ends of the earth and be ye saved". I don't know how to preach without preaching to all men everywhere. Preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

I knew I was separated from God but I did not understand sin nor was I thinking, "I am a sinner and I need salvation." Those words were not in part of my view of reality. I knew I needed Jesus as the Savior to be with God after death and that I had been wrong in my former spiritual beliefs. But the word "sin" did not enter into it.

We say "you must believe that Jesus is the Christ" and sometimes don't explain what all that entails but repentance is right in there for sure and being born again.

Luk 13:5I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

After all is said and done, from Abel's offering to now, it takes faith. "you must believe" or you will stand before the Great White Throne Judgement.

#25 Brother Bob, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  6. Janosik

Janosik New Member

You are right. It comes down to what it means when one believes.

7. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

8. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

God is at work in Christ saving whom He wills.

God's Grace is irresistable. No one comes to Jesus unless God permits and draws and Jesus loses none of His sheep.

It is pure Grace.

Our job is to do what Jesus tells us to do, produce the fruit that lasts and tell all the world the Gospel.

I love the Gospel, because it is the power of God to Salvation.

David

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

John also doesn't speak of the birth of Jesus being from a virgin but does that mean it is not apart of scripture as a whole!

Jesus says to repent in the gospel of Luke and Peter seems to think it is necessary in Acts, are you saying that scripture is contradicting itself concerning what one needs do in order NOT to perish but have everlasting life??

I agree repenting is turning away, and not so much confessing every sin you can think of but acknowledging that you HAVE sinned because your way is contrary to Gods and therefore you can't obtain salvaiton of yourself.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So are you saying I wasn't saved and am not saved? I didn't confess any sin and didn't have the concept of sin. I didn't know what sin was. I just knew I had been deceived and needed Christ.

I think it's wrong to say someone must know what sin is to be saved -- if that's what you're saying. I didn't know what sin was until after I was saved - and it was awhile afterwards.

I am not saying the bible contradicts itself! I never say that.

How do you reconcile that the word "repent" is not in the Gospel of John with the fact it is in Luke?

This is how I reconcile it: To repent in these passages about salvation means to turn to/have faith in Christ.

I think you are giving a meaning to repent that is not there but let me ask you to be sure, how do you define "repent?"
    Do you think it means "confess sins?"

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Do you not read the postings??

What I said:
    my emphasis added

How did you know you needed a savior if you didn't understand sin??
    Sin simply means "to miss the mark or standard". The fact you acknowledged you NEEDED a savior establishes the fact you knew you did not measure up to Gods standard and therefore need Christ who stood in your place. Of course this is more technical than most new believers understand but the principle understanding of knowing you can in NO WAY make it to heaven on your own merits and that you need a Savior. This savior died in your place that you may be forever with Him. The complete concept of sin and it's literal meaning very few every comprehend AT salvation but they do know that it was this sin that seperates them from God even if they can't put a name to it.

If you didn't even have this basic understanding then that Gospel of Jesus Christ - His death burial and resurrection had no meaning at your salvation either. If it didn't then I would (if you were in my church) speak with you a little more to better understand your walk with God from then to now to give better ...ummm...counsil as to what I thought at that point.

Your statement:
    That is all I'm saying over and over. But Unless you repent you shall all likewise perish...this walks hand in hand with...whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    Both speak of turning to Christ alone in whom our salvation is assured.

#31 Allan, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2006
  12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, I did. I'm sorry if I'm being frustrating to you....don't mean to! :wavey:

I had redefined "sin" to mean "not being true to your true Self" (I was an astrologer and New Ager). I actually didn't use the word "sin" but this is how I liked to think of it if I encountered it.

As I recall, I understood/saw this (in a few seconds, it seemed, as it dawned on me):

I had been on a spiritual path that had taken me away from God.

I had been wrong in my thinking about God and Jesus (and life after death and who I was).

I realized who Jesus was (the Son of God) and that he died for me (though I still did not think in terms of sin).

I realized I was separated from God and needed Jesus to be with God after death.

(This happened while reading Matthew 8)

-- So are you saying one can be saved without understanding or using the word "sin?"

Thanks for your input. :wavey:

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How old were you Marcia when you were saved. I never heard anyone say they didn't know what sin was that was old enough to understand?

Gen 3:22¶And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

#33 Brother Bob, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2006
  14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was old enough to have a 9 year old son! And I didn't have him at a young age! :laugh:

Bob, my worldview was not Christian. I did not believe in evil, a God who judges, sin, absolute right and wrong, needing a Savior, that death is final (I believed in reincarnation), and more.

A big part of my ministry is educating believers about how people's worldviews in the New Age (now just called spirituality) and occult are so radically different from a Christian worldview. They process reality through another whole filter.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is there a strict order how to get saved?
    I wouldn't know; I only know ther is a certain order of getting saved, and it is God's. We call it mercy, we who have known it - whom God has made it known to.

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Allen:
    "That is all I'm saying over and over. But Unless you repent you shall all likewise perish...this walks hand in hand with...whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    Both speak of turning to Christ alone in whom our salvation is assured."

GE:
    In fact! Both speak of Christ alone in whom our salvation is assured who turned "us-toward", as the KJV in Eph1 has put it!

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marcia:
    "-- So are you saying one can be saved without understanding or using the word "sin?"

GE:
    Hardly, both at the beginning as at the end of being saved. As Spurgeon always said, Christ saves sinners! Only sinners!

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Marcia, no disrespect but according to this scripture it don't matter what you believed, Christian or something else. God said that man will know "good and evil". He don't have to be saved to know.

I hate to repeat a scripture but it takes in all mankind whether they are Christian or not.

Gen 3:22¶And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

If you were old enough to have a nine year old son and of "sound mind" then you knew "good and evil" according to the Scripture. Now maybe you had gotten into something that had blinded you to the point that the blind lead the blind and they both fall in the ditch, but something told you to get out of it and to do that it must of told you that it was wrong!

I will let you and Allan get back to debating now, I just think at some point you did know what you were doing was wrong. (sin)

#38 Brother Bob, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

YES there is a strict order to getting "saved"

1. Realizing your sinfulness and need of Christ by looking into the Law of God
    2. Confession of sin
    3. Repentance
    4. Consecration
    5. Faith and Acceptance
    6. Growing up into Christ

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Luther's war against antichrist was about this.

He maintained the just shall live by faith - that justification is the forgiveness of sin -, for which stand the Church condemned him. Nothing goes before a man shall be rckoned righteous by God ... nothing, not any of:
    1. Realizing your sinfulness and need of Christ by looking into the Law of God
    2. Confession of sin
    3. Repentance
    4. Consecration
    OR,
    6. Growing up into Christ - which the popish church taught. ONLY: "5. Faith" which IS acceptance; no extra, "Faith AND Acceptance" -- seemingly small a difference but nothing could make a bigger difference.