1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there anyone in Hell today?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Brian30755, Dec 13, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Matt 10 Christ goes from the idea of “Kill” to the even MORE complete idea of “Kill and destroy” in the sequence above. This progression is seen clearly as Luke relates the same teaching below.

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes it does when it is connected with Hell as in Matt 10 and "fiery Hell".

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. It occurs in a long string of parables in Luke.

#2. Other parables use specifics - like the trees that elect a king - specific trees and plants are mentioned. It is still a parable.

#3. In Luke 16 the problem is that after a long string of parables - the Jewish leaders 'rejected them all'. Christ then follows with a parable that they DO accept as valid!

Were this to be instead based on "hey this is a true story because I SAY it is a true story" well they already had demonstrated that they were a hostile audience disinclined to accept information on a "I say-so" basis. So Christ uses Common ground that they DO accept "Abraham in charge of all the dead saints"

4. partialrapture

partialrapture New Member

Parable or not, there is truth and reality taught,
    and you will never find a parable, try i challenge, were God does use things that are real and exist
    broom, corn, master, servant, silver, tares, lamps and so on...
    so I conclude, since there be no other reason not to that there is a rich man in hell right now, in torment and flames, and he still desires water and some one to tell someone about that horrible place

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, what about fire when it's associated with "hell", and "hell" is not associated with the lake of fire?

6. standingfirminChrist

As I stated before, Hell and the Lake of Fire are two different places... Revelation 20 shows Hell being thrown into the Lake of Fire. If they were one and the same place there would be no need for that verse.

7. wopik

wopik New Member

how can fire destroy fire ?

Rev 20:13 -- "death and hell"

Rev 20:14 -- "death and hell"

Don't you have a KJV Bible with the center margin. In Rev 20:13, there's a little letter by the word hell. I look over at the center margin to find that same letter there, and beside that letter it says, Or, the grave.

So it looks like death and the grave are thrown into the lake of fire.

"The last enemy that will be destroyed is death". -- 1cor 15:26.

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The question was actually aimed at BobRyan, as you two have stated your position quite articulately already.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Summary -

Hell is in fact the Lake of fire and is composed of “fire and brimstone” – “eternal fire”.

Fiery Hell--> Eternal Fire --> Fire and Brimstone --> Second Death (lake of fire)

Eternal fire = Hell (fiery Hell). (Matt 18:8-9)
    The final Judgment is one of “Eternal Fire” Jude 7 and Sodom shows that..

The eternal fire sent to Sodom was in the form of “Fire and Brimstone: (Luke 17:2-30) and it will be JUST THE SAME in the judgment of Christ on the wicked.

3. The second Death is that Fire and Brimstone judgment sent upon the wicked after the millennium (Rev 21:8):

====================================
    Detail:

Eternal fire is what consumed Sodom and Gomorrah – they are exhibited as a perfect example of the “punishment of eternal fire”
    Sodom and Gomorrah were Destroyed by “fire and brimstone”. So eternal fire is composed of fire and brimstone and the “destruction” it causes is exhibited by Sodom and Gomorrah.

The Lake of Fire is composed of “fire and brimstone” (The ultimate exhibit of the “punishment of eternal fire”.) This is the “second death” which is the punishment for sin “The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life”

</font>[/QUOTE]

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now come on - you have to admit - that is pretty direct!

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Direct, but incorrect, as sfic has shown.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did not see SFC respond to the specic texts I gave that "show the link" that I claim exists in the Bible.

Did those texts "dissappear anyway"??

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The term "hell" in Rev 20 is not the one that we see in Matt 10.

Here Jamieson,Fausset,Brown show that the term "Hades" is used to represent "grave" in Rev 20 not "Hell fire".

JFB show that there is no way to equivocate between "hell" (Hades - the grave) in Rev 20 and the fiery Ghenna of Matt 10. (Though apparently SFC above would dearly love to do just that).

In Luke 12:5 Jamieson, Fausset, Brown also show that this same "Fiery hell" rather than "the grave - HADES" of Rev 20 is the focus -- Just as I did.

John and Jacob Abbott point out that in Rev 20 "Hades is the grave"

http://www.studylight.org/com/ain/view.cgi?book=re&chapter=020