1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is this a new worship war starting?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by nodak, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Example:

Twit (head of Belmont Reformed University Fellowship) dismisses 19th/20th-century gospel songs as "melodramatic".

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I mentioned earlier in this thread (see post 23) that it seems some of us are using the term "high church" to mean one thing, and some another, which doesn't really help in discussion. :)

I don't know Dr Kennedy, but I "googled" for him, and could not find anything to suggest that he was "high church" in the sense that I and several others understand that phrase, that is, a non-Roman Catholic church which tends towards RC doctrine and practice (usually involving an ornately-robed "priest" usually known as "Father So-and-so", and highly-decorated buildings, where the focal point is the "altar", where the "sacrifice of the mass" is offered. The nearest I could find was that he was ecumenical, and shared platforms with RC priests.

I have never heard the term "high church" used in relation to whether the music is contemporary, whether the words are projected onto a screen, how many scripture readings there are, whether there is a common prayer, or whether there is a common affirmation of faith in the services.

Could you help me please by telling me what you mean by "high church"?

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

David --

I found this on Wiki - which is what I believe to which you are referring. You are correct in that I believe this more a standard definition.

"The term "High Church" refers to beliefs and practices of ecclesiology, liturgy and theology, generally with an emphasis on formality, and resistance to "modernization." Although used in connection with various Christian traditions, the term has traditionally been principally associated with the Anglican tradition. The term is often used to describe Anglican churches using a number of ritual practices associated in the popular mind with Roman Catholicism."

In addition, the same definition also includes this - which is closer to what I was referring to ---

"The term "High Church" has also spread to Protestant traditions that have undergone revivals or realignments in their liturgical practices, for example, "High Church Presbyterianism" or "High Church Methodism". Within Lutheranism there is also a historic "High Church" and "Low Church" distinction that is comparable with Anglicanism."

Perhaps a better term for the above would be "formal" rather than "high."

In any event, I hope this is helpful.