1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this scripture speaking to believers?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mima, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mima

mima New Member

Are believers called evil in this verse of Scripture found in Matthew 7:11 "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, it's the sermon on the mount, which is given to disciples, and it says, "Your Father". So, if your question is, "Is this given to saved people?", then you would have to say that disciples aren't really disciples, and children of God aren't really children of God to think otherwise.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The sermon on the mount was given to those who were following Christ around. Nowhere is the distinction made the sermon was given only to believers, nor were all who followed Christ around true believers.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

And I don't suppose he really meant your father, either, right? Jesus must have been just a little too inarticulate to say what he really meant.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm....didn't the jews believe God was their Father? I thought so...

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, they're in the family, but not really, really, really, TRULY in the family, so when Jesus said "your father", he really meant "my father", but was incapable of saying what he really meant.

Too bad Jesus was so incapable of saying what he really meant.

And here I thought the Scriptures were perfect in the original autographs.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The Scriptures are fine. The people who pretend they know exactly what they're supposed to mean have some flaws, though.