1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Your Baby Gay? What If You Could Know? What If You Could Do Something About It?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It is!

I was predisposed to become an alcoholic because my father was one, as was my grandfather.

I had a choice to make. I could have gone either way and even had a good excuse for it...

I chose God's way - sobriety.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Drinking alcohol is a choice.
    Drinking 'til you're drunk is a choice.
    Drinking alcohol daily is a choice.
    Drinking alcohol is a choice until one day you're addicted. Then you're in trouble.
    But it was still a choice because one drink doesn't make you addicted. Addiction is the result of many bad choices.

3. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

It is so sad when someone who claims to be a Chhristian twists what someone else says to try and make their point as you have. No one ever said that alcoholism is a choice. Alcoholism is the result of a choice of a previous sin. It is still sin, but it is the trap that certain sins can bring.
    An addiction is just as much sin as what brings it on. Even though it is an adiction it is not excusable. it is still sin that has run wild.

4. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

AMEN! :thumbs: And the same applies to homosexuality. The person is not satified with normal sexual desires and turns to immoral activities and becomes trapped.

5. amity

amity New Member

I agree with you on all these things. However, alcoholism is not a choice.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If one never takes the first drink, one will never become an alcoholic. So it IS a choice...

It is a choice that must be made BEFORE addiction, however.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you mean that once a person is addicted it's no longer a choice, I would agree.

8. amity

amity New Member

No, I am saying that there is a metabolic disturbance preexisting, in the biological makeup, that causes their bodies to deal with alcohol differently than 'normal' people. That is why they get addicted, whereas you and I would not. Still, if they never take the first drink they will not become addicted. If they do, there will likely be a cycle started at some point that is very difficult to break.

Please read this thread. No one is saying these actions are not sins.

#68 amity, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  9. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

No it is still a choice. It is however more difficult to break the habbit. The bible says this,
    1Cr 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].
    Even in addiction there is a choice and there is an excape if we will take it according to scripture. I agree that no one wants to be addicted, but the addiction does come from choice and the addiction remains from choice also.

#69 gerald285, Mar 4, 2007
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are right.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the continued replies that totally miss the point I must assume that few, if anybody, has taken the time to listen to Mohler's program on this? I am also assuming that many have not carefully read his article on this. Maybe these boards are not the right place to have a careful theological discussions about any important issues? Maybe these boards are better for the continued beating the dead horse of Calvinism/Arminianism (etc) and little more? You know, the kind of discussions in which everyone knows what they are going to say before they have to say it. From all the knee-jerk reactions here I am starting to think, sadly, that the answer to those questions is correct.

12. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

The point is that there is no such proof of preexisting metabolic disturbance. That is simply the propaganda of the world.
    Jam 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Our own lusts comes about because of sinful hearts, not some "preexisting metabolic disturbance."

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have read this thread. What difference does it make if there's a metabolic disturbance? Does this make it more excusable?

14. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

I for one have read Dr. Mohler's article and to be frank he is wrong. What matters is what the bible says. In this casae he is lead astray.

15. amity

amity New Member

No, I think it helps us deal with the issue in an intelligent way instead of perpetuating destructive ignorance on the subject. We cannot effectively treat or otherwise deal with these issues if we think of them strictly as moral failures. We can test people with alcoholism in the family and tell them whether or not they are predisposed to alcoholism, before they start that vicious cycle. We will stop anathematizing people who are sinners just like we are and come up with a truly moral way to pull them from the fire. With knowledge about the biological basis of the disease effective treatment for this disease becomes possible.

... because that is what it is, folks! A disease.

Gerald, please provide scriptural reasons for your assurance that Dr. Mohler is wrong. Thank you.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I totally disagree that alcoholism is a disease. Is homosexuality a disease? You are approaching this from a medical perspective. That's fine, but it's still a moral issue and should be dealt with as such. As far as pulling them from the fire, that should be dealt with morally as Christians reaching out to a hurting world. I do not curse other sinners. I am also a sinner.

17. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

I already have provided them. They all come from the bible, but I will give some again, but it has been my experience when a person rejesct the truth for secular teaching that nothing can bring them around.

Jam 1:12 ¶ Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Notice that we have temptations and we all can chose to endure them. We have the choice.

Jam 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Notice it is our own lusts that draw us. We bring the temptations on, but we have a way of excape. A predisposotion from certain genes or other factors ooutside our perview make things scripture void because we have no control over those type of things. However the scripture is correct and the Dr. wrong.

1Cr 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Finally no one is tempted so much that they have to give into it. We all have been warned in scripture and we decide if we believe or not. No one ever becomes an alcoholic if they never take a drink. No one ever becomes one by setting by one either. So it is not a diease, but sin. God does not judge us for dieases.He does judge us for sin and this is sin and all sin comes from choice and rebellion.Unless they accept it as sin and nothing else they can never confess and seek forgiveness. We do these people no good by adulterating the word of God and truth. We only help them when we tell them the truth and lead them to confession, repentance and faith.

#77 gerald285, Mar 4, 2007
  18. amity

amity New Member

Do you believe the earth is flat?

Thsoe are all good scriptures, and notice also, if you read the thread, that WE ARE AGREEING THAT COMMITTING A HOMOSEXUAL ACT IS A SIN. The exact same as committing a heterosexual act outside of marriage. Similarly drunkenness is also a sin. Yes! No one has denied that. But browbeating people over the fact of their sinfullness is not going to cure them. Because these things do have a biological basis! So we must also treat that.

Have you never once considered how those hormones kicked in when you were an adolescent? Does this not prove that there is some biological basis to lust? Yes! We are agreeing to that, too! The sin is in the flesh. The actual physical flesh. And now we have found out WHERE in the flesh these particular lusts reside.

The Dr. and the scripture seem in perfect agreement to me. See above answer. And if you think the physically basis of problems such as homosexuality or alcoholism are beyond our control, you missed the entire point of this article and this thread! They are now coming within our control, by the providence of God.

Yup, He sure is sending 21st century people a way to escape. If God sent you two rowboats and helicopter, would you still be sitting on top of your house with the flood waters rising, if it did not accord with your long-held interpretation of the scripture?

Here for example is what I would tell a homosexual: Look, if I can remain celibate for 8 years, so can you. Just stop it. When you are tempted to have a carnal thought, just pray! Get on that Baptist Board and argue theology with someone. Throw all the pictures out, put temptation out of your life. It is a sin. I will help you in any way I can, but you know it has got to go, absolutely. Meanwhile, take this pill (hopefully one day there will be something like that!) and it will help you do what you already know is right. God bless you and His all-powerful love strengthen you. I love you. I am praying for you.

#78 amity, Mar 4, 2007
  19. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

What about grace?

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Where does the "lust" there come from? The person (vs14). That includes the body.

==So you are denying the biological link in alcholism? Do you deny the reality of all physical addictions?

In the case of Mohler's article these findings were done in sheep. What environment are sheep in that cause them to be tempted with homosexuality (if I can word it like that)? There certainly seems to be some biological issue there. If it is there in animals there is a chance that it might be present in some humans as well. That biological issue may help explain why some people are tempted with homosexual feelings and others are not.

==Instead of looking at the grammer apart from the context let's look at it in context. What does Paul himself say he is talking about in this particular verse? Look at verses 21-24. He is talking about his body of death which still wants to fulfill sinful desires (vs18-20). If the text here is taken in context it seems clear that Paul is talking about the sin principle that still remains in his members/body of death. He is not saying that his spiritual "nature" is still bent towards sin.

"We have been removed from the unregenerate self's presence and control, so we should not follow the remaining memories of its old sinful ways as if we were still under its evil influence...Paul uses the term 'body' and 'flesh' to refer to sinful propensities that are intertwined with physical weaknesses and pleasures. Although the old self is dead, sin retains a foothold in our temporal flesh or our unredeemed humanness, with its corrupted desires. The believer does not have two competing natures, the old and the new; but one new nature that is still incarcerated in unredeemed flesh. But the term 'flesh' is not equivalent to the physical body which can be an instrument of holiness" -John MacArthur

So the term flesh, when talking about believers, is refering to that principle that remains active in our "unredeemed humanness". This certainly does not refer to our spirits since they have been born of God. The principle is active in our bodies which will finally be redeemed at the resurrection. However we must not think our bodies are evil, they are not evil, rather they are infected with the sin principle.

I will return to this in the morning when I am awake enough to think. Thankfully I have vacation this week. Yes, sadly, I am lame enough to sit around the house on my week off. Well actually I sort of have to since I am having some construction done this week as well. O well, off to bed before I fall asleep sitting in this chair. :sleeping_2:

I will not tell you how long it took me to copy that quote from MacArthur....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.