1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It’s narrowing down, so who do you pick?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4ever4Jesus, Oct 1, 2010.

1. 4ever4Jesus

4ever4Jesus New Member

The Texas Rangers the Cincinnati Reds and the Minn. Twins have clinched the play offs. The Yankees and Rays are neck to neck.

Any of these teams you want in the World Series? If not your first choice you got a second?

I’m rooting for the Giants. Not that I like that city. I used to live across the Bay from there. My friend Steve lives over there good enough for me. If not then I hope the Rays or Twins make it. I don’t like the Yankees. Don’t be rough on me. I have no connection with New York sporting events hahaha. Got to hate someone don’t care for the reds either. I hate the color Red. Love your Enemies but hate them in game season hahaha. It’s just a game.:laugh:

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First choice is the Rays... second choice is the Yankees. But with the Rays in and the really evil empire (boston) out, the post season is a complete success.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

In order of preference of who I'd like to see win it all this year:

1) Rays
    1a) Reds
    2) Braves (for B. Cox - would be a neat story)
    3) Rangers
    4) Giants
    5) Phillies
    99) Yankees
    999) Twins

4. 4ever4Jesus

4ever4Jesus New Member

Hey Andy don't be so Cruel like Elvis would say. you put the twins lower then the yankees thats pretty low:laugh:

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Not only do I hope the Yankees don't win...I hope they're swept in the first round.

Not only do I hope they're swept...I hope their bus breaks down on the way to the stadium every game.

Not only do I hope they break down on the way to the stadium every game...I hope each member of the team is afflicted with explosive diarrhea on national TV.

You understand my sentiments toward the Yankees now, hmm?

:eek: :D :D

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As a lifelong Reds fan, I'm for a party on Fountain Square.

Next, I want the Twins to win so Andy's head will explode and his long-held conspiracy theories about the Metrodome debunked :laugh:

Chiding a bit. Glad to see you put my boys at 1a.

Seriously, the team I least want to win is the Braves. Can't stand the Braves. Cox has never apologized for the domestic assaults. The Braves are no longer the Rent-a-Team they used to be, so I have to give Cox credit for doing a good job managing this team. I just don't care for Atlanta based teams for some reason. Bobby Cox is considered a managing great. But has anyone done less with more than anyone in the history of baseball? One ring with a rotation that is Cooperstown-ready?

Okay, in order:
    1. Reds
    1000. Twins
    1001. Rangers
    1002. Phillies
    1003. Rays
    1004. Yankees
    1010. Giants
    9999. Braves

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Tom, how can you not root for the Rays? Even Yankee fans I know root for the Rays. You put the Phillies before the Rays? Seriously? The Phillies just won it two years ago. The Rays have never won and are doing it with no fan support, little money, and a lot of heart. You have no baseball soul.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Actually, that's a typo. I had rearranged some team and the Phils should be below the Rays.

I'm not a huge Ray bandwagon guy. But I hate that they aren't getting support. Philadelphia on the other hand could play their games at 2am and would still sell out, much like the little birdies under the arch. I have to respect that.

So yes, a part of me wouldn't mind seeing the Rays win one and I think Maddon is still Mgr of the Year material.

No baseball soul? I'm a Reds fan. It's been crushed :tongue3:

Besides, don't worry about Philadelphia. I know the boo-yah boys say give the NL flag to the Phillies now, but Joey, Jay, Drew and company are going to bring their bats with them. The winner of the Phils/Reds series will win the NL flag. Mark it down.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Watch out for San Fran if their pitching gets hot. Of course, you could say that about any of the teams. Honestly, I would not be surprised if any one of the eight teams in the playoffs were to win it all. Don't know if I could say that every year. I did notice that all 8 teams have at least 90 wins - I wonder how many times that has happened since they've gone to 8 teams?

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I wondered that, too.

I've heard some of the boo-yah boys say the Reds are just lucky to be able to get Phillie autographs, that they "backed in" with their 91 wins. But the vaunted '90 Reds had....wait for it....91 wins.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I don't care who wins. I used to care about the Reds, but the '94 strike happened and I've never gotten a team back, though I still love the game.

Somebody at ESPN actually said this? I find that hard to believe. Whoever said this should be fired immediately. I don't think the Reds are beating the Phillies, but to say a division winner backed into it is ridiculous.

Playoff predictions just because.

Phillies over Reds 3-1
    When you face an offense like the Reds, you better have some pitching and the Phils have pitching. Oswalt's the #3 for goodness sake.

Giants over Braves 3-0
    The Giants are just better than the Braves. If the Phillies falter, the Giants are going to the World Series.

Rays over Rangers 3-1
    I think the Rays' pitching is a bit overrated. Price is great, Garza is good and inconsistent, and Shield's consistency is completely non-existent. If the Rangers could pitch Cliff Lee 3 times, they'd win the series. Since they can't, the Rays are taking this series.

Twins over Yankees 3-2
    The upset special of the playoffs. I don't know how a team loses its 2nd best player for the half the season and plays better without him, but the Twins did it. I'm not sure what Andy's going to complain about in regards to the Twins, but I'm sure he'll find a way. :smilewinkgrin:

Phillies over Giants 4-3

Twins over Rays 4-2

Phillies over Twins 4-2
    2 of the best organizations in baseball fighting it out.

The Phillies have the best trio of starters. I think the trade for Oswalt is the difference between the Phillies or Giants winning the World Series.

#11 ccrobinson, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Thank you. Great minds think alike. I told someone this on Tuesday and he looked at me like I was nuts. He honestly said he thought the Rays' pitching was every bit as good as the Phillies. I'm sorry. I should've checked to see if the guy went to Vandy with David Price or was somehow related to Balfour. :)

Look for Travis Wood to get the ball if the Reds stretch this series. Rumor has it he was the last man out of the rotation when the Reds set their three man rotation.

On a personal note, I'm happy my two favorite teams (the Vols and the Reds) could provide lead-off highlights for ESPN this week. You're welcome.

And yes, someone I don't recognize (an analyst) on ESPN said they backed in on the Baseball tonight crew. Krukie intimated it but has since backed away a bit. Harold Reynolds on the MLB Network almost referenced it by name but backpeddled. the MLB Net guys gave the Reds a prayer - I have yet to see and ESPN guy do so. Maybe they have in fairness, but I haven't seen it. Then again, after last night, maybe they have a point. :tear:

I think the trade for Halladay was the difference for the Phils. Oswalt just put them over the top a bit. But if the Reds can steal one Friday night and shut down Victorino (the only guy with multiple hits against them last night - lots of the Phils' big guns had 0fers), this series is a new one.

13. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Rays fan, I agree with your assessment of the their pitching. The other problem the Rays have is the streaky hitting. It's either feast of famine.

But, Roy Halliday was AMAZING. Got home from church last night just as it went off the air. Would have loved to have watched that!

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Man, that Halladay is great. We might be witnessing one of the best ever. I think he is hitting his stride, and now that he is in the weaker NL, he could dominate for several more years.

Did anyone notice on that last dribbler that B. Phillips' bat was in the way of the ball? Ruiz got it quick and fired - I bet he was thinking I'm gonna make a throw no matter what, to not let it be an infield hit - give me the error if I throw it wild type of thing.

Also, it was nice to see my former favorite Tiger be a Twin-killer last night. Good job, Grandy - Yankees make mince meat out of the Twins again.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Are the diehard Rays fans in panic mode after Price got hit hard yesterday? Or are they Ok knowing that James Shields is going today?

There are at least 3 things wrong with my questions. Can you name them?

answer below

Halladay was sensational. That is a very good Reds offense and he made them look silly.

I thought this Twins team was different, but it doesn't look like it. They scraped and clawed for the run to tie the game up and the Yankees countered by scoring easily. Is it too late to change my picks?

3 things wrong.

#1, diehard Rays fans.

#2, Rays fans in panic mode. People who live in that area know they have a major league baseball team, right?

#3, believing that James Shields is still good.

:smilewinkgrin:

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You beat me to the punch! But actually, I'm sure the 4 Diehard Rays fans in Tampa are a little worried. Then again, they're so busy working in the Rays' front office they haven't had much time to think about it. :tongue3:

Now, you're also wrong on something else. Yes, the Reds have bats, but they're a bit inconsistent as of late especially. Granted, I can see the glass as half full with holes. But before we all jump off the Spence bridge, with Bronson going tomorrow night, a win makes this a best of three, and no-hitter or not, it's a new series. Lose and the mountain becomes taller.

Yanks pitching and mincemeat Twins? Almost 3 runs per game is mincemeat? I dunno. Mincemeat is awfully cheap nowadays :)

17. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we are a little worried because James Shields is pitching. His nick name is "Big Game" James... this year, not so much.

I am more concerned by how they can score 9 runs on tuesday and be no hit the next day. Now if there was some way to spread those runs over 2 games.

Pena is hitting under the Mendoza line. They kept Rocco Baldelli (a great name!!!) and now are trying to get the leagu to give them an injury exemption so they can get him off and someone else on the roster.

The worst part about being a Rays fan is that this has to be the year. Crawford will be gone, Longoria will probably be traded. The ownership has already said they will be havng a fire sale after the season. :BangHead: :tear: :mad:

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Perhaps, but they were the #1 offense in the NL this season. Votto was sensational and Jay Bruce took a leap this year. He'll be taking another one in 2011. I don't think the Reds are beating the Phillies in the NLDS, but they're going to be very good for the next few years.

Complete misnomer. Which big game has he pitched well in again?

Pena doesn't hit for average. He's a .240 hitter, at best, with power. Nothing wrong that as long as your team isn't made up of players like him.

I'm not sure why they kept him.

The worst part has to be that they're in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox. They're just not contending in 2011 without Crawford and there's no doubt he's leaving.

Why would they trade Longoria? He's not eligible for arbitration until 2014 and won't be a free agent until 2015. They may trade him in 2015, but I don't see him being traded in 2011.

Looking at the glass half full, they're going to have a spot in the OF open now for Sean Rodriguez, which means they can play both Rodriguez and Reid Brignac. Additionally, they'll rid themselves of Shields and add Hellickson. BTW, you heard it here first. Jeremy Hellickson will be the 2011 AL Rookie of the Year.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

True. But at one point, didn't they lead the NL in being shut out?

Bruce had a monster Aug and Sept after being fairly inconsistent early. He was still whiffing at anything in the same zipcode, but has become more disciplined. Votto is MVP in my opinion. Hands down. Take him off this team and this ballclub is not playing right now. No question the Reds have a young nucleus that will form a very talented core for years. Perhaps there's been a changing of the guard in the NLC.
    Wasn't he pulled out of retirement because in hitting instruction during spring drills he was outhitting his students?
    I don't disagree. That will make for some good convo after the season (our award picks).
    I still think the Rays could continue barring the fire sale and the departure of Crawford. Few thought they'd contend this year. The Red Sox are going to have to make a couple of moves, and don't laugh, but the Orioles could be energized by their strong finish, go out and improve the roster, and be a .500 team next year. 34-22 down the stretch was a good mark in a competitive division.

20. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least the Rays won't be eliminated tomorrow! :BangHead: