1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Its Spring... any body ready for Baseball!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Mar 24, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

They are not a very good team, but the KC Royals have a beautiful park. I have attended a few games there and always enjoyed it.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Actually, I said the same thing back before they announced the new name.

I still miss Whitey and one of the things I love so much about listening to Harry and Larry on the radio is how they keep his memory alive. A lot of times, he was more entertaining than the games were.

Well, the good news is that in spite of some concerns about their middle rotation, they actually do have the talent to overcome poor managing.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

PastorSBC,

My parents lived in Kansas City for about 2 years back in the 80's. I went out and visited them one time and my dad and sister and I went to a Royals game there. It is a nice stadium.

My favorite stadiums are actually the really old ones.(there arent many left) When I was a kid dad took me to a couple of games at the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit. I also remember going to games at Crosley Field in Cincinatti. I wish I could have made a game at the old Comisky Park in Chicago.

There out to be a rule in baseball that all stadiums have huge roofs held up by lots and lots of posts. :D

Theres something about those old stadiums. Its hard to describe. To know that Babe Ruth, Joe Dimmagio, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willy Mays, Pee Wee Reese, etc played in them gives it a "feel" that no new stadium can have.

It funny. All the new stadiums are trying to "re-capture" the feel of those old stadiums, but that makes me wonder...why not just stay in the old stadiums?

The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs are doing fine in theirs. [​IMG]

Mike

4. PastorSBC1303

I have attended games at the Old Comiskey, New Comiskey, Wrigley, Kauffman(Royals) and the old Busch.

Wrigley is a great place with the tradition and all. But my favorite place was Kauffman.

Old Comiskey was cool, as long as you didnt get behind a poll. I dont care for the New Comiskey much.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I loved the old Tiger Stadium. Comerica Park is really nice and every seat feels like a good one, but there was a certain nostolgia about Tiger Stadium.

I remember going there as a kid back in the Sparky Anderson days- fond memories. Alan Trammel was my favorite player back then.

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

PastorSBC,

The problem is that the new Comisky (notice how both of us are not calling it by its new corporate name [​IMG] ) was the last stadium built before the "retro" craze hit when Baltimore and Cleveland built the 1st 2 retro parks.

But they are trying to make it better. [​IMG]

The past couple of years they have been adding stuff in the outfield areas, some of it just to the right of the left field foul pole. And they have actually removed several rows of seats in the upper deck in order to decrease the steep incline. And believe it or not, they have added posts in the upper deck! :D (I LOVE it!)

If you watch when they show a crowd shot from the upper deck you can see the posts.

Mike

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hey don't look now, but my Tigers are leading the AL central! Ok its just the beginning of the season and they only played too games, but I had to say it before that all changes. :D

8. PastorSBC1303

Tigers for the World Series!

9. PastorSBC1303

You are right, they are trying. But I still don't care for it. It is better than before, but still not a good place to watch a game, IMO.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It 1984 all over again! Yeah right... :D

11. PastorSBC1303

the 84 season was a great one. I was so hoping for a Cubs and Tigers World Series.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

That would have been interesting.

I know one thing I wouldn't mind seeing this season and that is a NL team winning the world series. Its been a little while since that has happened.

13. PastorSBC1303

As long as it is not the Cardinals I wouldn't mind seeing that. [​IMG]

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

tigers are at the rangers tonight!

I played hookey from work and went to the rangers opener - huge crowd, huge traffic jam - shilling whipped the rangers! $4.50 for a hot dog, but only $5.00 for nachos - beautiful day, we had $13.00 tickets and enjoyed ourselves immensly (at least the hammer (blalock) hit a ine drive homer that was never more than 20 ft off the ground!

Cant wait for the rangers to tank so that we can get our church out to a game easily!

15. PastorSBC1303

[​IMG] I don't think I have seen that one before

16. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Well after tonight it will be soon!

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah, the Tigers has seven homers I think. Six of them came from the same pitcher- ouch!

I sure hope that the Tigs aren't setting me up for another season of big dissapointment by starting decent and then fizzling out. Their frist three games sure looked good.

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

4His glory,

Look quick! [​IMG]

Maybe clip out todays paper and frame it for hanging. :D

Seriously, though...although I am a born Kentuckian, my parents were both from Michigan and my dad took to to some games in the old Tiger Stadium. I was a kid but I still remember 1968 when the Tigers won the world series. Denny McClain, Mickey Lolich, Bill Freehan, etc.

The Tigers are one of my handful of favorite baseball teams...for various reasons

They all of course take a back seat to my Chicago White Sox, but after the Sox my favorite baseball teams are...

Cincinatti Reds...closest team to us where I live. Considered the "home" team for this area. I've been to lots of home games.

Detroit Tigers...both of my parents were from Michigan and were Tiger fans. Been to a few games.

Boston Red Sox...the team in the town where I was raised was the AAA minor league affiliate when I was a kid.

St Louis Cardinals...that same city later changed to the Cardinals AAA minor league affiliate.

New York Yankees...when I was a kid I felt sorry for them. They had all that tradition, but werent any good.(this was the late 60's) I've liked them ever since.

Mike

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Detroit wins again! Ok guys you loose eight in row now... stop toying with my expectations like this!

The pitching has been sharp, the defense tight, and the bats have been hot, especially Chris Shelton's. He has 5 homers in four games.

They also seem to starting to have that "Jim Leyland swagger"- that attitude that is needed to win games. This could be an interesting season if they keep playing this way.

20. PastorSBC1303

Detroit does look good. Baseball is such a funny game though. They easily could lose 8 in a row now. Ya just never know.