1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jacksonville Pastors' Conference

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by dh1948, Mar 2, 2005.

1. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

My wife and I, along with the church staff, just returned from the annual Pastors' Conference at FBC, Jacksonville, FL. I have attended for multiple years. It is always a time of spiritual renewal for me. Everything the host church does is first class and state-of-the-art. The new children's ministry building is phenomenal. I have no way of knowing if anyone involved with FBC Jacksonville reads this forum, but if you do, please accept my heart-felt thank-you for all you do to make it available.

The workshops offer useful information. The music is dynamic. My, how it moves my spirit. The preaching packed with power. This year's best sermon, in my opinion, was brought by Steve Gaines from Gardendale, AL. He pulled no punches and the power of God was upon him.

Junior Hill, evangelist from Alabama, was his usual self. Though I disagreed with his statement about churches that drop Sunday night services will begin to go down, I always enjoy his humor and passion.

Fred Luter, a black pastor from New Orleans, was one of two speakers (Adrian Rogers was the second) on closing night. Fred has done a tremendous work in New Orleans in reaching a large number of black men who now attend his church. Though the sermons I have heard him preach are always a mile wide and a half inch deep, he has a way of awakening the audience with his screaming, fast talking, and alliterations.

The fact is, the conference offered a variety of preaching styles. If you stayed around long enough, you were bound to hear a preacher who "turned your crank." (EX: David Jeremiah, Max Brunson, Johnny Hunt, Jerry Vines - host, etc)

Pastors, I recommend that you add this conference to your schedule for next year. More information is available at the website for FBC, Jacksonville.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have heard that this is a good conference, and I hope to be able to attend at some point.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

For those constrained by money issues, keep tabs on what the state SBC convention is doing. There are often many opportunities for this - even if you're not SBC.

4. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

This conference is very minimal in cost. If you register before the end of the year (I forget the exact date), you get a discount. The cost is based on three levels. The highest is $100 which includes two meals per day. The lowest is $40 which does not include meals. Housing is available, too, if you request it early enough. I always stay at the Ramada Inn on Lane Avenue which is at exit 357 off I-10. The cost is around $50 per night, and the motel is only about 20 minutes from the church. If you use Beaver Ave. you avoid most of the traffic. If you think you might want to go next year, call the church and ask to be added to the mailing list to receive a brochure.

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Not to mention it's about 1300 miles from my present location. Even at the low cost for the meetings themselves, it becomes difficult for those who are not geographically "co-located."

I'm sure it's a great confereence for those that can get there. My point was that there are several very high quality conferences that take place within each geographical convention that - if you're not able to go to JAX - you could go to them.

In truth, when I got the flyer for this pastor's conference, I wanted to go, but knew that I couldn't (for both money and my secular employment).

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Are the Jax conference sessions on line?

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

MY, MY, MY!!! Dr. Vines is one of my preaching heroes----if I had to rank him and Dr. Rogers as my heroes----both tie for first place!!!!

I have been to the Pastor's conference at least 8 times through the years! I don't get to go every year---and this was a year, unfortunately, that I didn't go! I use this conference as a time for my wife and I to have our own spiritual revival! [​IMG]

I don't think they offer the conferences online---but you can go to

www.fbcjax.com

or

www.jerryvines.org

and see what happens! I know you can order the video and audio of both the preaching and music----Rodney Brooks---I tell ya---if Dr. Vines ever "fires" him :eek: ---then Vines is more dumber than I thought!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    I shall put the conference on my 2006 calendar---and hope to meet some of you guys there next year---PS---I will take you all to a Butler Avenue resterant and let YOU buy!!!! :D :D