1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James 3:1

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SolaSaint, Sep 11, 2013.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

"Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. " ESV

For those who teach, do you meditate on this passage from time to time? How many in churches throughout America take lightly the position of teacher in Sunday School classes and small groups? For the churches I have been in for over 25 years now I have had very well prepared teachers who took teaching serious. I'm very grateful for those who have taught me. How have you seen this in your Christian life?

2. Herald

Herald New Member

This passage is constantly echoing in my mind whenever I prepare a lesson or a sermon.

3. Ed B

Ed B Member

Yes, I take that verse seriously and I am mindful as I prepare a lesson and am about to deliver it. I pray that the Holy Spirit prepares my heart and the heart of the class to receive whatever He wants us to receive from his word. I also pray that my ego be taken out of the presentation. Teaching is for edification of His saints in the class but not for the puffing up of my ego. I want to deliver the message well, and I pray that it is received as the Holy Spirit leads, but I should not be seeking approval or any recognition as a good teacher or speaker.

And I am perhaps more aware that my walk needs to reflect my confession of faith as an adopted son of the God of all Creation through Christ. I am mindful that my sin and in some cases my liberties could cause others to stumble, especially when I have accepted the role as teacher.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the valid point of the thread is that if you are going to teach, you should prepare with careful study and prayer, knowing that speculation, adding to God's word, is the mother of false doctrine.

James 1:25 teaches we should be doers of the Law of Liberty, the instructions of Christ, and not just hearers. If we teach what we do not do, if we do not walk the talk, then what?

James 2:12 says much the same thing. Verse 13 says judgment will be merciless for the one who shows no mercy. Would a born anew person show no mercy or would he or she forgive others as s/he has been forgiven?

Thus the teaching is that if we teach, we learn more than those we teach, thus knowing what is right and doing it not, it is sin. Do we reflect growth, becoming more Christ-like, or more like a lip service Christian? Will our stricter standard result in a greater loss of rewards?