1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured James White

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 8, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank is a proud man. He does have some good books, but I do not listen to him as much as I used to partly due to his pride.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a new Christian, I never missed an episode of the Bible Answer Man. Then, I became friends with the son of a couple who were Walter Martin's partners in a ministry that would eventually become the Christian Research Institute.

I won't go into detail, as that would be gossip, but after learning from them how Hannegraff took control of that organization, I could never listen to it again.

Over time, my views and my understanding of scripture has changed and I wouldn't listen to him now for other, non-character related reasons, but listening to Hannegraff now is like listening to Merle Haggard, who used to be one of my favorite singers, until I found out he's a Communist (ironic, since he sang so many patriotic songs). It just took all the enjoyment out of it for me.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes....I used to enjoy the program and the questions the callers asked.As Hank began to write books he hardened in some of his positions.

The problem was he was helpful against word of faith guys, and cults:thumbs:....but then went off....on other things.

Have not listened much when it moved to charlotte....still like the questions of the callers,:wavey:

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other reason I stopped listening is that he started selling so many products, that the show became like an infomercial.

5. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read on his website a number of his debates with various people, and he's good at applying scripture appropriatelyin rebutting erroneous positions. The only book of his I've read is KJVO Controversy. I found it well researched and learned a lot from it each time I've reread it. I've only a couple small caveats:

--IMO, he spends too much time toward the end of the book picking at KJV shortcomings compared to more recent translations. Pointing out some obvious problems is fine but going on as long as was done seemed like overkill. Probably neither the short or long version of KJV "issues" would have any desirable impact on a confirmed KJVO, but some "onlyists" at the lower end of White's 1-to-5 KJVO scale might be put off by the long list of critcisms.

--That list should be 1 thru 4 rather thru 5. To me, KJV-preferred is different in kind, not just degree, from the other four. I don't think one who prefered NASB or ESV would ever be listed on any "onlyism" scale.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sometimes a person experiences success by doing the first works and just having a simple and pure attitude before God .
    when you get a little too popular and get some success sometime it could both puff up a person or it good or it could just alter how they go about things more doing it for eye service as a man pleaser rather than that original pure motive of serving God.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That was more than 6 years ago and of which I was an arminian at that time.

You have a masters degree in digging up junk from the past. I sure wish every time you cut someone off in traffic or cussed at a car we all could see it on YouTube and I could post it to remind you.

Get over it! I was an idiot at that time. Will you be obsessing over the past forever?

and one more thing. You need QUALITY time with a rabbit!

#28 evangelist6589, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  9. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, no, don't send Jerome off for the rabbit, send James White off! :laugh:

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rarely listen to him, but I know that James White does have one serious problem that he keeps having to defend himself on, and that is that his doctorate is from a degree mill. 'Nuff said. :type:

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is the epitome of everything wrong with public discourse.

14. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is rich coming from you Rev, maybe White can learn how to season his speech with more grace like YOU do:

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you being so hard on JJ? He's just jealous of Dr. White. He has to vent somewhere.

16. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, I think J of J and White would have a great time together in the Scriptures.

Both of them have an experiential walk with the Lord that has born the truth of the Scriptures time and again in their life.

Perhaps some day they can meet together and fellowship. That would be such a blessing.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IFB multiply like rabbits!

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    evangelist6589

You have welcomed correction which some here never do:applause:

No....you were mistaken at that time, but are learning more about the scriptures now.

Some do not welcome truth. Some even flee from a church when truth enters.:thumbsup:

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As if you could offer some correction to Dr. White on anything???

Go for it...he is in the public arena...call in , write, whatever.....
    If you doubt his "credentials" or abilities...it should be easy for you to set things right.

Last one who was going to try that was Skandelon, who wilted like a morning glory when he came face to face with him:laugh::laugh:

RM....still waiting for you to call in on the dividing line and set things straight....:sleeping_2:

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the words of Dr. White:"I'll pile up the work that I submitted to Columbia against any person who has a comparable degee from anywhere, in full confidence that no programs require more than Columbia did."

The man has had more than 130 debates. Most of them have been with non, or even anti-Christians. He has preached the Gospel fearlessly in mosques around the world. He has dealt with JWs,Mormons, apostates etc. He has always known the exact positions of his opponents. He represents their positions fairly. Many of his opponents such as Bart Ehrman haven't even bothered to read Dr. White's books or listen to his DL. Dr. White believes in consistency while many today do not. An Arminian cannot hope to debate the kind of people Dr. White has faced and fare very well.

Dr. White deserves respect and prayerful support --not pettiness from those in the peanut gallery.

Take a gander at the nearly 30 books the man has authored and tell me with a straight face that he doesn't know his stuff. You simply can't deny his knowledge and his service to the Lord.

#40 Rippon, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015