1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Janie House, missionary of ‘living hope,’ dies in Kenya

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 25, 2004.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Feb 25, 2004
    By Mark Kelly

NAIROBI, Kenya (BP)--Janie House, a Southern Baptist missionary in Kenya, died Feb. 21 in Nairobi after a brief illness. She was 56.

House was appointed by the International Mission Board in 1981 after sensing God's call to missions during a 1976 conference promoting Bold Mission Thrust, a challenge presented to Southern Baptist churches to evangelize the world by 2000. Prior to missionary appointment, she directed Acteens and Baptist Young Women's programs for South Carolina Woman's Missionary Union.

She was teaching a missions class for teenage girls at the time and realized she couldn't encourage teenage girls to go and serve the Lord if she wasn't willing to go herself.

Her life's passion was to get the Gospel to those who had yet to hear, said Jon Sapp, leader of International Mission Board work in East Africa.

"Janie House lived her life to get the Good News of Jesus Christ to the people," Sapp said. "Her life was an example that I will use to illustrate points for years to come. She was an example of a woman who lived on 'living hope.'

LINK