1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus Christ Shed His Blood for Those in Hell

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Mar 10, 2024.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ Shed His Blood for Those in Hell

“But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction” 2 Peter 2:1

There are some who are very much mistaken in their “theology”, that Jesus Christ only Died for those who are ultimately saved, and will be in heaven.

This verse in 2 Peter, is very clear, that even those who will end up in eternal destruction in hell, were indeed included in the Death of Jesus Christ on the Cross.

Lexical definition of “agorazō”, as used in 2 Peter 2:1

“figuratively: Christ is said to have purchased his disciples i. e. made them, as it were, his private property, 1Co_6:20 (this is commonly understood of god; but cf. Joh_17:9-10); 1Co_7:23 (with the genitive of price added; see τιμή, 1); 2Pe_2:1. He is also said to have bought them for god ἐν τῷ αἵματι αὐτοῦ, by shedding his blood, Rev_5:9; they, too, are spoken of as purchased ἀπό τῆς γῆς, Rev_14:3, and ἀπό τῶν ἀνθρώπων, Rev_14:4” (J H Thayer)

“to secure the rights to someone by paying a price, buy, acquire as property, fig. ext. of 1, of believers, for whom Christ has paid the price w. his blood: w. gen. of price ἠγοράσθητε τιμῆς you were bought for a price 1 Cor 6:20; 7:23 (s. τιμή 1). τινά 2 Pt 2:1. W. dat. of possessor and ἐν of price (B-D-F §219, 3;” (BDAG)

“ἀγοράζω agorazœ buy Matt 13:44, 46 and often; fig.: to purchase as one's own (1 Cor 6:20; 7:23; 2 Pet 2:1; Rev 5:9; 14:3, 4). [1:23]” (EDNT)

“Figuratively Christ is spoken of as having bought His redeemed, making them His property at the price of His blood (i. e., His death through the shedding of His blood in expiation for their sins), 1 Cor 6:20; 7:23; 2 Peter 2:1; see also Rev 5:9; 14:3-4” (W E Vine)

These false prophets and false teachers, who are heretics and cannot be saved as they are damned, because of their “refusal” (arnéomai), to “accept” Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour.

There is no other way to understand what this verse says. The Greek verb, “agorazō” used here, has the meaning of “to purchase, buy”. It is exactly the same Greek word, that is used a few times, for Jesus Christ’s Death on the Cross for truly born again believers, as in 1 Corinthians 6.20, 7.23; Revelation 5:9, 14:3-4; and has the same meaning as “lutroō”, used by Peter in his First Letter, “knowing that you were not redeemed (agorazō) with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers”.

Some have tried to argue against this verse referring to the blood shed on the cross for sins, by Jesus, because Peter here uses “despótēs” (Master), and not, “kurios. This is a strawman argument, as has absolute no merit! The same term “despótēs”, is used for Jesus Christ in Jude 4, “ton monon despotēn kai kurion hēmōn” (our only Master and Lord). And, in places like Acts 4:24, and Revelation 6:10, for Almighty God.

Some of the “Reformed” theologians, have sought in vain, to deny what is actually taught by Peter, by offering some very fanciful THEORIES!

John Gill

That in this verses, “agorazō”, refers to, “temporal mercies and deliverance, which these men enjoyed”

WHY does this word only have this meaning in this verse? WHY not in the other places when it is used for those who will be in heaven? This is being duplicate, and not honest in the way what the Bible actually says!

Matthew Henry

“Those who introduce destructive heresies deny the Lord that bought them. They reject and refuse to hear and learn of the great teacher sent from God, though he is the only Saviour and Redeemer of men, who paid a price sufficient to redeem as many worlds of sinners as there are sinners in the world”

Peter does NOT use the term “agorazō”, to show that the Death of Jesus Christ is “sufficient” for all the sinners of this world. This is mere speculative theology, and wishful thinking, he is speaking of the FACT that Jesus Christ has also PURCHASED these who are lost, by their REJECTING of Him as their Saviour

The “Reformed” commentary by Jamieson, Faussett and Brown, is honest in what they say;

“Whom the true doctrine teaches to be their OWNER by right of purchase. 'Denying Him who bought them, that He should be thereby their Master. Even the ungodly were "bought" by His "precious blood." It shall be their bitterest self-reproach in hell, that, as far as Christ's redemption was concerned, they might have been saved. The denial of His propitiatory sacrifice is included (cf. 1Jn 4:3)”

Peter tells us more of these false prophets and false teachers, in the next chapter, where in verse 3 he calls them “mockers”. Even these, says Peter, “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance”. The “YOU”, here includes the “false prophets and false teachers”, that God does not “desire” (boúlomai) to be lost forever! It is quite pointless to refer these words only to the “elect”, as some do, because it is impossible for these to “perish”, and not “come to repentance”, which is what Peter is saying here. The oldest Greek manuscript, and textual support, is for the reading, “ὑμᾶς” (YOU), which was changed at a much later date to, “ἡμᾶς” (US), by some who did not like the FACT, that God DESIRED the salvation of the entire human race!

It is quite absurd and a fallacy, to argue as some to, that, if God “desired” the salvation of the entire human race, then the entire human race will be saved. It is equally true from the teachings of the Bible, that God “desires” that no humans, especially His children, so not sin, but the reality is, that humans do so every day! Does our failings mean that God has failed? Absolutely NOT! All humans have FREE WILL, so that they could live lives that please the Lord, or not. This is also the case for true believers in Jesus Christ, we CAN live lives that please the Lord every day, but the greater majority never do.

Salvation is a GIFT from the Lord, and can be REJECTED by any human. Jesus says this to the Jews who wanted to murder Him in John chapter 5, “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life”. These were UNWILLING to come to Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour, so that they could have Eternal Life. They FAILED, and not the Lord!

The same FREE WILL in REJECTING Eternal Life, as clear in Acts 13:46:

“Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, "It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles”

Theses Jews REJECTED the Gospel for their salvation, and they CONSIDERED THEMSELVES not worthy of Eternal Life. God did NOT so consider them, THEY CHOSE to do so!

In Luke 22:19-21 we read

“And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me. Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table”

Some argue, that the Greek does not have the word “is”, which is in italics in Versions like the King James. However, the Greek participle παραδιδόντος, used here, “of him who betrays”, is in the present tense, which means the use of “is”, is correct.

In Mark 14:24, we read the Account, “And He said to them, This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many”.

Luke uses YOU, which no doubt includes Judas; and Mark uses MANY, on which John Calvin says;

“Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse”

On Luke Account we have:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

Dr A T Robertson

That betrayeth (tou paradidontos). Present active participle, actually engaged in doing it. The hand of Judas was resting on the table at the moment. It should be noted that Luke narrates the institution of the Lord’s Supper before the exposure of Judas as the traitor while Mark and Matthew reverse this order.

John Bengel

(ἀνάμνησιν) of Himself should be for the future celebrated by His disciples—V. g.] This particle serves as an argument that Judas was present, and took part in the Lord’s Supper. Comp. Luk 22:14 (“The twelve apostles sat with Him”)

Judas is also included in passages like 2 Peter 2:1, 3:9, etc, for whom Jesus Christ Died on the Cross.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT ONE PRECIOUS... SINLESS... DIVINE... DROP!... Brother Glen:eek:

#2 tyndale1946, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...don't lose any sleep over the quacks consumed with CDS...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never do!... Brother Glen:)

Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

#4 tyndale1946, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about responding to the Bible passages in the OP? What do you think 2 Peter 2:1 is about? What about Jesus giving Judas the cup that represents His Blood shed on the cross?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 14:9, . . . For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Philippians 2:10, . . . That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; . . .

Colossians 1:20, . . . And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well yes, of course He did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Christ became the propitiation or means of reconciliation for the whole world, all humanity, there is not one drop of truth in the false claim Christ died ONLY for those already individually chosen for salvation.

He died to provide reconciliation to the lost, that is why we have the ministry of reconciliation as ambassadors of Christ.

But did He die for those had physically died already and had not "gained approval by faith?" Those taken and consigned to Hades rather than Abraham's bosom? I think not. I do NOT believe once a person dies and is taken to Hades, they will have a "second chance" to obtain salvation.

Bottom line, I would change the title to "JESUS CHRIST SHED HIS BLOOD FOR THOSE HEADING TO HADES, JUDGEMENT AND THE LAKE OF FIRE"

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing from the Bible

What is the point of this passage in relation to the OP?

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume this rant is aimed at ‘Limited Atonement’.

He bought the whole field, but He particularly bought the treasure buried in that field.

I prefer ‘Particular Redemption’ over ‘Limited Atonement’.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can go with that but if it's Particular it is Limited!... Brother Glen;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another misdirection post.
    The post says Jesus did not die for those already in Hades, but did die for those heading to Hades, as indicated by 2 Peter 2:1

Since Christ became the propitiation or means of reconciliation for the whole world, all humanity, there is not one drop of truth in the false claim Christ died ONLY for those already individually chosen for salvation.

He died to provide reconciliation to the lost, that is why we have the ministry of reconciliation as ambassadors of Christ.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a false claim found in a linked article:
    " He did not die in order to put us in a savable state, but he died to bring us to God; and if He died for that purpose, then He brought everyone to God for whom He died.

This claim presents a false dichotomy, claiming Christ died only to bring those already chosen to Christ. If God's election for salvation is "through faith in the truth" (2 Thessalonians 2:13) then our individual election for salvation occurs after we put our faith in Christ. Thus when Christ died, not everyone who would be saved, had already been chosen individually.

Did Christ die only to put the lost into a savable state? Nope. Again, Christ became the propitiation or means of reconciliation for the whole world, all humanity, but this did not accomplish salvation. When, and if, God transfers a lost sinner into Christ, they undergo the washing of regeneration, the circumcision of Christ, and arise in Christ a new creation. Thus Christ both provided the means of salvation to the lost, but also provides salvation (reconciliation brings us to God) for those chosen for salvation.

17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read Bradley and the PB's that I have interacted over the years and the Perseverance is changed to Preservation... The PB's that want to stick with Particular Redemption and Perseverance, I can understand that but the reason the saints have Particular Redemption and Perseverance is because of the Lords Particular Redemption and Perseverance for them, IOW... They are Preserved... Brother Glen:)

Btw... PB's for those who want to know... Stand for The Old School Primitive Baptist!

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and that document was published in 1957 sooo :Whistling

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To each his own... No different than here... Brother Glen:)

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the Calvinists trend towards Puritan and lordship salvation belief system dogma leading to total predestination of all things. This is not the direction I want to go down. I fully recognize my sinful nature in dwells within me but from my very soul I would never suggest that my God would relegate people to hell because of bad behavior, or call someone a heretic because of a different belief system, blah blah. That to me is just stinking thinking. Rather I want to believe that saving grace and mercy are the primary operating systems…. And I refuse to get into a proof text battle with another believer because my interpretation differs with the other person. None of these activities bring any of us closer to Gods truth, but they do cause hard feelings and life’s too short for that.

• Like Like x 1