1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus had a human nature?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

YES! I ask God all the time, "who am I that You love me?" :tear: ....:praying: ......:saint:

Does anyone else feel God's Spirit here? Or is it just me?

#81 Amy.G, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Joe

Joe New Member

Hebrews 13:8 Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever

This means even as Christ is in heaven, he is the same as he was on earth.

When Adam sinned, he became a sinner.

Christ could not become a sinner by choice, as he is the same yesterday, today and forever.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

just you :D

4. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I wouldn't say the point is "moot," just that we can't comprehend all that the hypostatic union is and entails. In other words, it's a mystery we have no definitive or final answer for.

JDale

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

[​IMG]

:laugh:

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like it. Hypostatic union now we're back to the first and second eccuminical councils. Hypostasis the latin version of Homoousios.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember reading that when one of those Church Councils were hashing this out -- the common people were all-a-buzz discussing it. In the equivalent of barber shops back then, that was the topic of conversation.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

[​IMG]

Where's my Amy?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

AHHHHH! That is soooo cute! I want one!

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Agreed. Jesus was not 100% human as he is also the Lord from Heaven.

1 Corinthians 15:45-47*(NKJV)
    And so it is written, 'The first man Adam became a living being.' The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven

#90 Joe, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sabellianism was modalism - that God had 3 modes or roles and was not Trinitarian. It doesn't have anything to do with what we are talking about as far as I can see.

Not sure what you are thinking of -- Docetism maybe?

12. Joe

Joe New Member

ok, he's all yours!!!

he needs a flea collar & bath though :laugh:

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes that is the way I understand it as well. Also many may not know this, but the "sign of the cross"...ritual type of thing with their hands when they pray, found in high liturgical churches like the Eastern Orthodx, Oriental Orthodox, what was later to become the Roman Catholic church, and also Lutheran churches are traced back to these councils. Some used 1 finger meaning one thing some use 2 fingers and others use 3 fingers. This was how they showed what side they were on.

I forget most of what I knew about this stuff. :)

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Done! Now all I need is my husband's permission! :eek: and my 2 dog's and 2 cat's permission as well.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is that where that came from? I always wondered about that. Thanks for the info. It would do us all a lot of good to study church history.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Joining in late here guys----hope you don't mind

Yes---I stand firm on the impeccablility of the Lord Jesus Christ---He is not able----plus---He is not willing to sin

Now that the puzzle has been solved---maybe someone can answer this hypothetecal(sp) question----probably has nothin' to do with anything, though

but

What if------what if the Lord Jesus HAD sinned and become a sinner like you and I????

Now, I know He BECAME sin---but He never BECAME a sinner----becoming a sinner was and is an impossiblity for the Lord Jesus

But

What if??? What if He had become a sinner---what if He had sinned??

(1) What would that have made Him??

(2) Where would that have left us??

Remember we are dealing with a "What if" here

Bro. David
    aka blackbird

17. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Is that why we have all those old pictures with Jesus or the apostles making a "peace" sign with two fingers?

18. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Here's a few questions that have a bearing on the issues here and that I don't think have ever been answered.

Where in scripture is the "sin nature" described or identified? I don't mean the "sinful nature" that Paul refers to.

Where does it say that it was added to Adam after the fall? Genesis talks about them knowing good and evil but nothing about a "sin nature".

Where in scripture does it say the "sin nature" (if it exists) is passed only by the father?

If Jesus is 100% flesh but only 99% human what is the other 1% flesh composed of?

If Jesus literally couldn't sin, or even really be tempted, wouldn't that indicate that he was lacking in part of our normal human emotions?

Has anyone ever seen a newborn baby actually be born talking, much less telling lies? Is it possible the psalmist was using exaggerated poetic language in lhis lament and not trying to teach doctrine?

Okay, that's enough for now...

19. lbaker

lbaker New Member

(1) an imperfect sacrifice for our sins

(2) up the creek, way up the creek, with nary a paddle.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

Mark 14
    32 And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray.
    33 And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;
    34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.
    35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
    36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Luke 22
    41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
    42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
    43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
    44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.