1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus ministry...who is to carry it out?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by awaken, Aug 31, 2012.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I still think you have the problem of what do you tell people if they have tried healing or some other miracle, and it doesn't work? Do you tell them there must be some secret sin they aren't admitting, or that their faith is deficient, otherwise God would have healed that person?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yes, miracles were ONE way that God pointed people to himself, but not every time, sometimes Paul simply went to a town and talked to people...

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

I actually experienced this myself...praying for my mother! I could not understand why God did not heal her.

My mother did not believe in healing the way I do. She rejected that the gifts are still here today.

I thought God would heal her because of my faith. But even the story of the men bringing their friend to Jesus through the roof. They believed! But would the man on the mat have been healed if he did not obey God! If Jesus said rise up and he just set there...wonder what would have happen?

All I can do is obey, when He tells me to lay hands on the sick...I will obey! But if they do not recieve their healing, is it my fault?

If I explain to someone the gospel and they reject it, is it my fault, or is it their unbelief?

God has already paid the price on the cross...so it is not God's fault?

I do not know why some are healed and some are not...I am sharing what I have come across in scriptures. Pray about it, search it out yourself...

I will share this..what I read in scriptures the ones that were healed it was because of their faith...

The first thing I came to understand is that healing comes by faith. I am learning now how to put my faith into action.

But where does faith come from? Here is God's answer:

"faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17)

This says that faith comes from hearing the message through the word of Christ. Therefore, every time you come across a Scripture passage, read it out loud several times so that you are hearing God's Word. You see, faith is not an emotion, as many people think. Faith involves a decision and an action, so make the decision that you're going to act on faith by reading each passage out loud, pondering it, chewing on it, getting the meaning of it, letting it really sink in. God says that this will develop faith in you.

What do you see in common in these scripture?

"Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ... "Get up, take your mat and go home." And the man got up and went home." (Matthew 9:2-7)

"By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see." (Acts 3:16)

"In Lystra there sat a man crippled in his feet, who was lame from birth and had never walked. He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, "Stand up on your feet!" At that, the man jumped up and began to walk." (Acts 14:8-10)

"Then he touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you"; and their sight was restored" (Matthew 9:29-30)

""What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see." "Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road." (Mark 10:51-52)

"Then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you."" (Luke 8:48)

"Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."" (Luke 17:19)
    Notice that their faith was involved in receiving their healing!

Think of faith as being kind of like a pipeline. If that "pipeline" is clogged by your doubt and unbelief then it can hinder God's healing power from flowing into you. Your faith helps keep the pipeline open (so to speak). Your faith helps bring the healing to you, so it's important to know how to use your faith in order to open up that pipeline and receive the healing into your body. That's what this article will teach you.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

I was not pointed to Christ by miracles. I am not saying that people can not be brought to Christ without miracles. But if God wants to manifest a miracle through us, why would we deny Him?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even unbelievers saw Christ's miracles. Let's see one.

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

...and they still did not believe!

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

In all of the examples of healing that God has provided in the New Testament, notice that:
    There's not a single case where a person was told that his sickness was for the purpose of building character or patience in him.

There's not a single case where a sickness was called a "blessing."

There's not a single case where a sickness was left unhealed for the glory of God (this includes Lazarus, because Jesus resurrected him back to life and health).

There's not a single case where God used a sickness to bring one of His children Home to heaven.

There's not a single case where a person was told that it was not God's will for him to be healed.

There's not a single place in the entire New Testament which says that an "Age of Miracles" will end before Jesus returns.

There's not a single place in the entire New Testament which says that healings or miracles will ever "die out" before Jesus returns.

Isn't it strange that none of these things appear in the Bible, yet these things are taught in churches today?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant. Regardless of whether or not I believe God created the world, I still see the world. So whether or not I believe God restored a man's withered hand, I can still know that the man's hand was withered and by some extraordinary means was restored.

Put up or shut up.

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you can not find in scriptures anything against what I am posting?

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

We tend to assume that God will approve or deny our requests for healing, so we say things like:

"I'm believing that God will heal me."
    "I'm patiently waiting for God to heal me."
    "I believe that God can heal me if He wants to."
    "Why isn't God healing me?"
    "Maybe it's not God's timing for me to be healed."
    "Maybe it's not God's will to heal me."
    "Maybe the answer is 'no.' "
    "Maybe God is allowing me to remain sick in order to teach me something."
    "Maybe being sick is actually a blessing."

When we make statements such as these, we're assuming that God can or might or will do something to heal us. But that's a false assumption because He's not going to do anything to heal us.

Why not?

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Because He has already done what needs to be done!

It's already paid for!

To understand this, think about it in terms of salvation. Will God do something to save unbelievers today? Notice that God has already done what needs to be done for unbelievers to be saved because Jesus has already gone to the cross. There's no other way for our sins to receive atonement.

It's already paid for! It's finished!

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Sorry, you are overreaching here...

-->Paul's thorn in the flesh could have been a sickness, or simply an annoying person...we simply don't know.

-->A man was born blind and lived that way till adulthood for the sole purpose of Christ Glorifying God by healing him.

-->James was killed for the faith...why didn't anyone raise him from the dead?

--> 2 Cor. 4:16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, gour inner self his being renewed day by day. 17 For ithis light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, (EVERY NT BELIEVER DIED...EITHER BY BEING KILLED, OR BY GROWING OLD AND GETTING SOME DISEASE...(probably cancer or heart disease, since they didn't know what to call it back then). They were not promised healing, but promised hope beyond this life.

-->Heb. 13 These all died in faith, cnot having received the things promised, but dhaving seen them and greeted them from afar, and ehaving acknowledged that they were fstrangers and exiles on the earth. (lack of faith was not the reason for their death...these people are upheld as models of faith...yet faith could not stave off death.

--> Sorry, but if I tell a 80 year-old man with cancer that if he only had enough faith, God would heal him...I'm not doing that guy any favors...and I'm not being biblical...because we don't make those sorts of demands of an almighty God. God can heal, but doesn't have to just because we want it.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

I will take one at a time..lets take Paul's thorn in the flesh...

Did God give Paul this thorn in the flesh? I believe we can know!

II Corinthians 12
    7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
    8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

First thing I see is that This is from satan and not God.

The Greek word translated "messenger" here is also rendered "angel" elsewhere in the NT. (Luke 1:13; 2 Cor. 11:14; Galations 4:14). So I see this as a dark angel, sent from the devil to buffet Paul.

14. awaken

awaken Active Member

I will agree that healing always glorifies God!

I also see three main reasons why people are sick.
    One is sin..After healing the man at the pool of Bethesda, Jesus said to him:
    " thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee."
    Jesus made it clear that this man's sickness returning, and even something worse that what he'd had, could come on him if he sinned. This is not the only reason that people get sick, but it is one!

When Alcoholics drink all of their lives and get a liver disease, they did that to themselves. God did not do it..they are reaping the results of their sin.

Second..A direct attack..

We are in a battle with the devil!
    Jesus spoke of this as He walded by a man who had been born blind.

John 9:2,3
    "And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
    And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."
    This was not because of sin. There is a spiritual battle going on, and satan is going about seeking whom he may devour!

We are living in a fallen world! Sometimes satanjust attacks us with things. So sometimes sickness could be an attack of the enemy.

third...Natual things..
    Some times things just happen naturally.
    If we are not paying attention walking down the stairs, we could trip, fall, and break a leg or worse. This is not sin or the devil! It is just something that just happen.
    We can catch colds, get an infection etc. for purely natural reasons.

Since mankind fell and sin tainted the earth, all kinds of things germs, bacteria, viruses, and fungi that were good became corrupted and not fight against our human bodies.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just giving you the opportunity to do a very simple thing. You want to say "be warmed and filled," but you give nothing to the cold and hungry. Faith without works is dead. Show me your faith by your works.

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well if you want me to raise the dead...God has never told me to do it!
    Jesus only Did what the Father told him!
    I have laid hands on the sick and they have recovered! How you expect me to prove that over a forum is mystery to me!

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

Can not answer that! Jesus was also killed! Some of us will not be raised until God does it by the same power he raised Jesus.

Jesus did not raise all the dead while He walked on earth...only the ones His Father told Him too!

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

So imagine that an unsaved person says things like:
    "I'm believing that God will save me."

"I'm patiently waiting for God to save me."

"I believe that God can save me if He wants to."

"Why isn't God saving me?"

"Maybe it's not God's timing for me to be saved."

"Maybe it's not God's will to save me."

"Maybe the answer is 'no.' "

"Maybe God is allowing me to remain unsaved in order to teach me something."

"Maybe being unsaved is actually a blessing."

These are false assumptions, right? Jesus has already gone to the cross for that unsaved person, so God is not going to do something to save that person. It's already done!

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

But if we substitute the word "heal" in place of the word "save" in the above statements, then those are things which most Christians tend to say. Again, God is not going to do something to heal us. He has already done what needs to be done.

Notice that if an unsaved person makes any of the above statements then his wrong assumptions are hindering his salvation. In other words, if you look closely at the above statements then you can see that he needs to change his thinking in order to have proper faith for salvation. Similarly, if we make any of the above statements (substituting "heal" in place of "save") then our wrong assumptions are hindering our healing. In other words, we need to change some of our thinking in order to have proper faith for healing. It's possible to receive healing even if we have some wrong assumptions, but it's far less likely to happen.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is classic charismania, deriving its life, as do nearly all cults, by a noncalvinistic, man-centered theology. God can't save or heal you until you make a change.

Hey, Down's Syndrome person. The reason you're not healed is because of you!

Hey conjoined twins, see above!
    In attempting to make your gospel appear powerful, you are in effect presenting a very weak and ineffective Christ.