1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, May 24, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes, Cultural Studies in the Gospels
    By Kenneth E. Bailey
    Paperback: 443 pages
    IVP Academic (January 11, 2008)

Striping away our inaccurate, historically acquired impressions, Kenneth Bailey provides a fascinating rediscovery of the life of Jesus in the gospels.

He grasps your attention in the early pages of the book by examining the birth of Jesus.
    After reading his account, you’ll shake your head at the inaccuracies we readily accept in our traditional Christmas pageants.

“No room in the Inn”?
    The word for “inn” used by Luke in his gospel (10:34) was "πανδοχεῖον" [pan-dokk-i’-on]. It was an “inn” where the Samaritan left the stricken man.

The Greek word used in the story of Jesus birth is “καταλύματι” [kat-al’-oo-mah-ti].
    It is only (mis-)translated once as “inn” in Luke (2:7).
    The same word is also used in Mark 14:14 and Luke 22:11 and translated as guest room.
    “There was no room in the guest room.”

If the guest room was full, Joseph and Mary would have stayed with the homes owner in their communal family living room.
    Typically, the family animals would are confined at one end of the room with a manger separating the animals from the family.

Bailey uses various unique historical witnesses often casually dismissed, including Old Syriac, the Peshitta and the Herclean as well as other early Arabic translations in his presentation.

I've turned over many well-worn pages in the gospel accounts: I've read these passages so many times,
    but seeing them through different eyes, through a new perspective, I find that some words and phrases have begun to jump out at me, alive with new meaning.

Highly recommended but not a book for beginners!

Rob

#1 Deacon, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was an interesting read.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A diamond ring is admired and worn with pride, but with the passing of time,
    it needs to be taken to a jeweler to be cleaned to restore its original brilliance. The
    more the ring is worn, the greater the need for occasional cleaning. The more familiar
    we are with a biblical story, the more difficult it is to view it outside of the
    way it has always been understood. And the longer imprecision in the tradition remains
    unchallenged, the deeper it becomes embedded in Christian consciousness.
    The birth story of Jesus is such a story."

The Story of Jesus’ Birth
    LUKE 2:1-20 [LINK]

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting artlcle

bump