1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jobs for Vets at the VA

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a Vet have an automatic priority for a job at the VA?
    Click here for link on story

How about this ideal - often a one- termer will have - say 6-9 months left on his enlistment after a short tour (ie Korea). Assign him to a VA facility - in a job that his MOS (AFSC,rating) calls for - ......

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

As a Disabled Veteran, I get a preference in hiring at the VA. I believe I got my job because the VA paid for me to go to school and then I couldn't find a job - so they hired me. About 70% of us are veterans and most of the veterans have a service connected disability.

I'm trying to find something closer to my skill set. I set at a computer for a living and I'm just not good at it. The position changed and I haven't been able to meet the performance standards for the last 4 months.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in favor of finding jobs that vets are actually suited and qualified for. It has been an issue at my agency. Full disclosure, I'm a vet and I'm guessing vet's preference played at least some part in my hiring but my degree suited my profession regardless of military experience. We have a three year intern program heavy on training and certification but for some reason we are bringing in military retirees in their mid 40's instead of the cream of the crop from our surrounding colleges. They aren't going to be the future of the organization. It's just treading water until they can retire.

At a conference our agency director said the average age of the employee was 55 years old. He said he was "concerned" for the future. I feel like there has to be a better way to take care of veterans than shoehorning them into roles they were never meant to fill.