1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 21

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JerryL, Aug 16, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

What is the significance of the three different types of love mentioned in these verses? Jesus used a different love in his question to Peter than what Peter answered with.

John 21.15-22

15 ¶ So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (αγαπας, agapas) thou me more than these? He saith to him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (φιλω, filo) thee. He saith to him, Feed my lambs.
    16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (αγαπας, agapas) thou me? He saith to him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (φιλω, filo) thee. He saith to him, Feed my sheep.
    17 He saith to him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (φιλεις, fileis) thou me? Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, Lovest (φιλεις, fileis) thou me? And he said to him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love (φιλω, filo) thee. Jesus saith to him, Feed my sheep.

#1 JerryL, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  2. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I have always understood this to be how Jesus was redeeming Peter for denying Him three times, but I don't understand why Jesus used two different "loves" and why Peter answered in the third "love".