1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 3:16

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jul 15, 2004.

1. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I have been studying the Greek NT from E-Sword w/Strongs Numbers and I translated John 3:16 just to see how I could do this is what I came up with what do you guys think.

"In this way God loved the world; He sent His only born Son to give to whoever commits to His Son possesion of eternal life*" John 3:16

"*possesion of everlasting life."

I know most versions drop "begotten". I like "born" as it is a accurate translation and modern readers can identify with it.

2. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

In that vein you might be interested in the book "3:16 Bible Texts Illuminated" by Dr. Donald E. Knuth. Starting from the tremendous impact that John 3:16 has had on the world, he examines each 3:16 verse of the Bible. Check it out.

Links:
    http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/316.html
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0895792524/104-2248448-4261519?v=glance

The non-KVJO among us will be happy to note that HE re-translated each of these verses for his book, rather than use any extant version.

3. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

KJVOers: is there any substantive difference between "begotten" and "born" (in English, of course)? I looked them both up, and they both seem to mean "fathered by birth".

One difference that does not apply (to John 3:16) is that "begotten" can also be used as a transitive verb, but "born" becomes awkward that way:
    This day have I begotten thee.
    vs.
    This day have I born thee. Sounds weird.
    This day thou wast born unto me. Changes sentence structure.
    This day did I bear thee. Changes sentence structure, and wrong to boot. The father most definitely does not do the "bearing".

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some MVs (NIV, ESV and NET, for example) have chosen to translate it as "one and only."

— New English Translation note for John 3:16

I think "born" is a poor choice because its usage seems to imply temporality.

A similar objection can be made to "begotten," but the formulation has a long pedigree, including the language of the Chalcedon Definition.

FWIW.

5. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

AS with everything it's how you speak. You say po-ta-toe i'll say pa-tat-to.

Means the same just said diffrently. Over the centuries, words change but the basic idea is the same. It's the same with the Bible. People are trying to take the blood out of the Bible. And honestly you can't do that. If you do, you kill our salvation.

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

The ISV the version I like says it this way "For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believe's in him might not perish but have eternal life." Maybe that works well with the article above.

7. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I actually messed up above and I just realized it I left out a phrase "and not perish or die." I don't know the greek very well and I forgot to type it in my "translation".