1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John 5:25-29??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Let me explain it so that you can understand.

Were you born with faith in Jesus? No.

Does that mean you could NEVER believe in Jesus? No, and the fact that you now believes proves this.

The fact that some men do not have faith in Jesus does not prove they will never have faith in Jesus. It does not prove they do not have the ability to believe.

Faith is based on knowledge and reasoning as Spurgeon wrote. It is not magic. Nobody zaps you with faith.

Spurgeon said;

Spurgeon said faith in Jesus is just like faith in anyone else. It is like trusting your spouse, or your mother and father. It is not some magical force that enters our mind.

We trust people that we know love us. We trust our parents because we know they love us, we trust our spouse because we know they love us.
    But a perfect stranger we are reluctant to trust, because we have no knowledge or experience with them.

You folks have made faith into some mysterious thing that no one quite understands, and folks are even less sure they have.

How do you know when you get this mysterious faith? How do you know it is real saving faith? After all, Calvin taught that men can have a false faith that seems so real that a person can be deceived, believing themselves a believer when they are not.

I often get the impression that Calvinism is more about creating doubt than faith.

#241 Winman, May 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Naughty! Naughty! Naughty! just plain Bad webdog. You should not call Scripture "hogwash"! Jesus Christ died that we might have it.:tear:

3. OldRegular

Sure they do webdog!

Luke 18:10-14
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Sadly the Pharisee sounds somewhat like some "freewillers" talking about those who believe the Doctrines of Grace!

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Boy, you do not know scripture. The Pharisee did not believe he was lost at all. You left out verse 9.

Luk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

The Pharisee had faith, his faith was in himself. He believed he was righteous. He did not believe he was lost whatsoever.

Everybody has faith, it is the object of our faith that matters. If you trust in a false god you will be lost. If you trust in your own righteousness you will be lost.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do not confuse the details of faith as an instumentality....like Spurgeon describes...with the origin of saving faith granted to the elect at regeneration.:thumbsup::type::thumbsup:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Blasphemy! Your distorted words are not Scripture! How dare you!

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh:

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isa 6....and Rev 1 show us that we here on earth cannot have a right view of it. John had seen Jesus after the cross....but in Rev 1 when he sees the glorified Lord he falls as a dead man......When God allows a man to see Jesus savingly ...that person cannot go back, but are changed eternally.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

10. OldRegular

webdog,

If you will check my posts you will see that I always post Scripture in Dark Red!

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and my initial reply to you was done on a post with no Scripture posted. Follow along.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Another problem I have with pre-faith regeneration is that y'all state emphatically that they are given life, in this life, the gift of faith, and when they exercise this gift, they are saved(this is how it comes across to me, btw). Now, faith is what justifies us. Without justification we are under condemnation, correct? So, in reality, y'all have someone who has life, and yet are still under condemnation because they haven't placed their God-given gift of faith, in Him.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So?
    ----------

15. OldRegular

For those who believe that saving faith is inherent in fallen man I submit the experience of Abraham:

Romans 4:17-22
    17. (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
    18. Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
    19. And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb:
    20. He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
    21. And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
    22* And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Here is Abraham about one hundred years old Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations.

Now really and truly and whatever, is that the faith one exercises when he starts his car?:smilewinkgrin::laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.