1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Edwards is my Homeboy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Burrito Breath, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Burrito Breath

Burrito Breath New Member

Mi hermanos y hermanas. Reformeristas be on the march!

"Trudging back from my mail box this afternoon I found included in all the advertisements and flyers my monthly copy of Christianity Today. (Yes, let's not go there. )
    The shows a tee shirt which says "Jonathan Edwards is My Homeboy."

Then the main article title: "YOUNG, RESTLESS, REFORMED; Calvinism is making a comeback and shaking up the church."

Even C.T. has noticed that there is clearly a reformed revival going on among the YOUNGER pastors and students.

What is obviously true is those of a reformed bent are the most serious about the great doctrines of Scripture and the people are savagely hungry for steak and potatoes. Enough with the chips and salsa, enough with the desserts; bring on the meat and potatoes of The Living Word!" (found on fundy blog)

Burrito here: Cant we put dis back in the box?

2. whatever

whatever New Member

You can try but it might not fit. Why would you want to, anyway?

3. Burrito Breath

Down the Turlet

Eef thees keeps on; King Jamez Only down the turlet. Beeg Problemo

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

At least the historic Johnathan Edwards is worthy of a T-shirt, unlike his modern day namesakes.

5. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

The reason, for one, that there is a revival of Calvinism and not a revival of people being saved/converted, more missions, etc. is because many people "convert" to Calvinism because they think it makes them better, more theologically prepared, etc.

Satan is glad when people just convert from one theological set to another without ever converting to Christ! I know some people who live the most unChristian lives but they sure do have their infralapsarianism, supralapsarianism, and sublapsarianism in order, their verses ready to spout on _____ subject, etc. yet they lack the holiness and the fear of God which the Puritans held, which Whitefield, Edwards, and numerous other Calvinist preachers possessed. Most contemporary Calvinists show their lack of spirituality in their preaching and conversation, which is nothing more than jumping on their Tulip-Treadmill at every chance.

I know first hand, as I used to be one of them!

#5 Spoudazo, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  6. whatever

whatever New Member

Don't you realize that this is a logical fallacy? Your first-hand experience does not prove anything about others. You can say that people aren't being saved or doing more missions or whatever, but I bet you can't prove it.

7. Burrito Breath

U go Spudzo

Hey Spudszo, I theenk my seester had one of those operationes; just not sure which one.

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Spoud, how very disappointing it was to read that post. I thought you had a light of understanding in regards to Edwards, Whitfield, et al.

Perhaps YOU were the type of "calvinist" that you describe.

If you think the theology of the Puritans, Edwards, and Whitfield was not the driving factor in their Evangelism and holy lifestyle, you do greviously err my friend.

There may be marginal christians that call themselves "calvinists", but how does that presuppose that there are no marginal christians of other stripes?

I will stand over there, for thou art holier than me.

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Did you miss my point completely?

I am not saying the system of Calvinism is horrible or produces hypocrites.

I am saying that if you're going to be a Calvinist, at least be a good one!

Also, Edward's Reformed views were intertwined in every facet of his life, so I would say, yes, it did contribute to his holy life and testimony, same thing with Thomas Watson and many others.

And prove that more people aren't being saved? Where's the fruit if they are? Where are the people preaching with the power of God, when even the people outside of "religion" fear God (Matt. 10:28) as in the days gone by. Many towns would close every worldly attraction if a preacher was coming to town. Now we just have preachers who go "preach" and "enjoy" those worldly attractions! Whether it be Jimmy Swaggart (well, I'm not going to go there) or Jimmy Baker, or the "purpose driven" folks whose only purpose it is to appease the conscience of unconverted church members.

#9 Spoudazo, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, Spoud, I think I did miss the point. Sorry. I realized that last night after I had shut down and gone to bed, but I was too tired too get back up and make a correction.

I noticed on another web site that Phil Johnson (a significant leader among calvinists today) has expressed concern over calvinism becoming a "fad", even a "fashionable" thing for young people that are looking to express dissent, and since the "church" today is so predominantly non-calvinist, they are attracted, not to the preaching of the true Gospel, as true calvinism proposes to be, but rather they are attracted to it simply because it is the minority position. If that is the case, all in due time, God will test and cleanse His Church.

11. whatever

whatever New Member

Yep, I missed it too. Sorry about that.

12. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

No problem, I guess I should have been more clear. :)

13. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I highly doubt those people who wear those T-Shirts are even familiar with Edward's intense discipline and doctrinal beliefs.

Where can I get a T-Shirt ?