1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Wesley and Charles Finney

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What is the criteria that decides that Finney and Wesley were horribly misguided and not the Baptists?"

That is a great question and one that I was hoping the knowledgeable people of the forum would take up and discuss.

I posted a link from a sign by Phil Johnson (not in support or non support of his views) as an outside reference on Finney. He contends that Finney was a heretic.

The question on what Scriptural criteria needs to be involved in the discussion is certainly one that needs consideration. Perhaps it even needs to be a major player, because such a criteria would extrapolate to the modern believer in perhaps greater discernment of affiliation and granting credence to a certain person or group.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agedman,

Friend, it is very incorrect to say that Jonathan Edwards started the first baptist church in America.

Roger Williams started the first Baptist church in America and he did so in 1638 in Providence, Rhode Island.

Jonathan Edwards was not born until 1703.

The Archangel

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If Fenney taught that Man's Moral Responsibility to obey God's law as the way of salvation the he certainly was a heretic. If he taught that once we are saved we are to keep the commands then he is biblical.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

OH MY SOUL!!!!!!!!!

You are right.

My sincere apologies to both men!

As soon as read the words Roger Williams in your post, I new I blundered.

Can you give what difference they may have held had they been first peers to the same age - move Rodger up or Jonathan back. And what might they say if contemporaries of this modern age?

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free at last,

Do you think that a person saved has the capacity to live a sinless life?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Absolutely! I know of some that has. I think I can prove it beyond reasonable doubt if you are interested. Of course if you have made up your mind I won't be able to prove anything even in the slightest of way. By the way I am not one of them who has, but tomorrow is a new day.
    And I certainly can show you where we are commanded to do it.

#26 freeatlast, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011