1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johnny Hunt to be new president of SBC?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Feb 22, 2006.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. After much consideration, I'll do it!

Do I get a popemobile of my own?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, the deacons have determined that a popemobile would be too expensive, so we're giving you a skateboard instead.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Two questions if anyone knows

The only Doctorate that Dr Hunt seems to have is an honorary one - is that correct? I did not see an earned PhD or DMin on the brief bio that rbell provided.

Do you know what percentage of his non designated budget goes to the cooperative program.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hunt is a great guy and will be a fabulous leader of the SBC. (Lest we peons think we can do anything to deny his inevitable election.)

The biggest issue facing Hunt and his impending election is the fact that his church only gives a low percentage of their budget to the Cooperative Program. There are already several groups beginning to bring candidates against Hunt because of the lack of CP giving.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

\

No one is really "hand picked" to "be" President!! This group of men---Vines, Patterson, Smith---are good friends and probably get together over coffee and "chat" about who and when and where they can have a man to nominate----mark that---nominate---not appointed!!!
    [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]You are right. This little group doesnt "enforce" their way, but they DO sit around drinking coffee and deciding things. I hope there's another nominee as well. I like Johnny Hunt, from what I know about him. He preached in chapel several times while I was in seminary, and I really liked him. But its always best if we are really gonna be a democracy to have a choice.

5. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I move that either blackbird, or PastorSBC1303 be nominated for the Presidency of the SBC.

Do I have a second?

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I second that motion!

7. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Motion is seconded by mcdirector.

All in favor vote yea, all opposed vote nay.

Voting will now commence.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Two questions - I am a fairly conservative member of a Southern Baptist church, and I wouldn't know Johnny Hunt from Adam - and one comment. And please don't perceive this as an attack, for it is not, save on the thought process behind the questions posed.

Out of curiosity, what do either of the two above questions have to do with anything? Exactly what difference does it make as to the degree or what is one's formal educational level? Dr. Paige Patterson, Pastor, college, and along with Dr. Duke McCall, I believe, one of two to serve as president of two So. Baptist Seminaries, served two terms as SBC President from 1998-2000. He holds an earned Th.D.; The late Dr. Patrick H. Mell had only 2+ years of college, yet served as a pastor, Professor, and Chancellor of Mercer, turned down at least four other offers of college Presidencies, before assuming the vice- then Chancellorship, equivalent of the Presidency of that institution, and served as SBC President, GA President, and Moderator of the local association, simultaneously for over 15 years, and was arguably, with Boyce, the leading President of the SBC in its history. He did not have any degree BUT an honorary Doctoral degree, and a lesser degree conferred due to his abilities, which could have been assumed to be honorary, as well. (Two years is not normally enough time for a Bachelor's.
    Give me a Th.D. like President Patterson; give me an LL.D. like P.H.Mell; give me a lay businessman like Owen Cooper; a pastor like W.A. Criswell; a Governor like Pat Neff, all Presidents of the SBC. But, please, don't give me a messenger who is concerned about whether or not one's degree is earned or honorary.

On the second question, what business is that of anyone's, apart from the church, itself? I admit, here I am assuming you are speaking of the chuch he pastors. On the face, the assumption is made that one man alone, determines what the church body does. Is that a fair assessment?
    Secondly, I would assume he or anyone else, as an individual, can give any time, to any cause whatever amount they want, by designating, or even directly.
    Third, if the state you are in is anything like KY, "The Western Recorder" on a bi-annual basis publishes the total giving per church to CP causes, both on the basis of total amount given, and per capita giving, based on membership reported in annual church letters. Severns Valley Baptist Church, the oldest extant church in the state with a membership of between 2000 and 3000, don't remember exactly, the last time I checked has led the state in giving more times than any other church I'm aware of, and some years, both categories simultaneously. I haven't seen the figures in the last 4 years or so. And even that can be skewed. My own church is not giving as much, on a percentage basis to the CP as it once did. But we are sending out multiple mission teams in the last five years or so on a regular basis. As I type this, we have a team of some 15-20 working in Gulfport, MS, helping in rebuilding, where there was much Hurricane Damage, and we have talked about anothere to that area, plus we will have at least two others this year, including one tour to El Salvador, sponsored by Forks church. Giving percentage to CP down, here? Yes. definitely by 2 or 3 percent. Total 'giving' to missions up? You betcha'. Probably by 10 %. Total Amount up by a good 40%.

No matter what would-be 'kingmaker' thinks, any 'annointed' one is not guaranteed election. Only the messengers can determine this. Last time I checked, they had the final say.
    In His grace,
    Ed

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Ed

As to cooperative program giving - my thought is that the person that is the leader of the SBC sets the tone for the rest of the SBC. For better or worse the cooperative program is the avenue by which the SBC funds its missions. If our presidents church does not fully support the cooperative program - as many of our recent presidents churches have not, how can they expect the rest of the churches in the convention to fully support the CP.

As to education, there have been several threads on this board that have debated the merits of the earned doctorate verses the honorary one. My personal opinion is that someone with an honorary doctorate should be grateful to the institution that granted that honorary doctorate but not advertise themselves as Dr So and So. I dont know if Hunt's doctorate is earned or honorary - I was just asking the question. He seems like a good pastor and has grown his church from a smaller church to a very large one, but that in and of itself does not mean that he is worthy of our votes.

As a practical matter - recent SBC history is that he who is "annointed" has been elected. In my perfect world, we would nominate at least two, have BP run articles about each of them and have a good debate prior to the election.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Ed, I agree the messengers have the final say. However, when there is only one person nominated then it really becomes a moot point.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I have no problem with Johnny Hunt or the guys in the "inner circle" of leadership. I am as conservative as anyone else in the SBC. However, I do think there should be more than one candidate. Let there be Johnny Hunt v. Bobby Welch or a Johnny Hunt v. Al Mohler or a Blackbird v. PastorSBC1303 ;) . Have each share what their vision is for the convention and let the messengers have a real choice in the matter.

There may not be any one person "hand-picked", but it sure appears that way at times. This is not an issue of conservative against moderate or conservative against liberal. It is an issue of what is best for the Kingdom of God and our convention.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do think there have been times when a sitting president was re-elected to the 'traditional' second term without opposition. I am just not aware of when any were elected 'unopposed' to a first term. If you are aware of some, and I am mistaken, here, tell me. I know at times individuals have declined a nomination. But I don't know how many were actually nominated that particular time.
    Ed

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

[​IMG]

You are correct, it is not limited to just one person, anyone can nominate someone. However, I think you and I both know it is not just that simple.

But anyways, hopefully we will see more people involved and the SBC honor the Lord with all the resources the Lord has blessed us with!