1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jonah and the ???

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Dec 25, 2021.

?
  1. Great Fish

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Whale

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. They are the same

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The story was just a parable and is actually fiction

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Other answer

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About the story of Jonah

2. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, In Matthew 12:40 the KVJ quotes the LXX but does not translate the word kētos properly. The word can refer to any large sea creature, not necessarily a whale.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a coincidence. I just taught the book of Jonah in Sunday School two weeks ago.[We just started the minor prophets.] I have heard non-believers claim the Bible has a contradiction because the Old Testament says "great fish" and the KJV New Testament has Jesus saying "whale".

I wanted my class to know that non-believers sometimes purposely try to discredit the Bible and here's what I found in my getting ready for the lesson.

Here's the Hebrew word for "fish" = דָּג. It is tranlated as the word fish, but carries with it more of a meaning of "squirming as propelled through the water by a tail". That could mean a lot of things. A HUGE fish. It could also mean a whale. Were it not for the word "great" as an adjective, it could mean a sea snake or even a goldfish.

Here's the rub. The word in the Jonah passage is NOT trying to convey the classification of the animal but how, as a sea creature, it moved.

The Greek word, found in Matthew where Jesus is comparing himself to Jonah is κήτους. When the early, EARLY people were translating from Greek they found that Plato, Socrates, and many more ancients used this word in three capacities.
    • whale = [used by the King James]
    • great fish = [used by modern versions]
    • sea monster = [used by the Berean Bible]
    So, which animal was it? I don't know. But here's what I DO know.

Whatever animal is was, the whole thing was a miracle. Why?

• If is was a true fish, even as large as the largest fish on earth - the whaleshark, that creature's mouth is super large enough to encase a human being, but it's gullet or esophagus is only inches across and could never swallow anything larger than very small fish or other creatures.
    • If it was a true whale, such as a sperm whale, which is VERY huge - the only documented case there is of a human being completely swallowed by a sperm whale and living to tell about it - it could not digest the man and it killed the whale. [The man was inside the sperm whale for about 24 hours and was a stark raving lunatic for about 2.5 weeks before he came back to himself.]
    • If neither of these, God miraculously created a creature that could swallow a man, undigested for three days, and live to vomit him out and swim away.

#4 Scarlett O., Dec 25, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the whale had stomach issues, would it not vomit the contents up?

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, when we think of stomach issues that cause vomiting, that's the norm. Not to be gross, but vomited contents that come up are usually digested or partially digested. Blech!!

In the case of Jonah's whale or great fish, the Bible says God commanded the creature to vomit Jonah up.

In the case of the other man from modern times [late 19th century], it appears that he was big enough to "stop up" the digestive process and the animal could not digest/pass him or vomit him up.

I think the stomach issues were not typical ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great fish.
    The in 1611 the term "whale" was not yet meant to only mean the mammal.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably a whale, but has nothing to do with the "But not as/so also is" type of Christ contained in the book of Jonah.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fish may be the least important thing in Jonah.
    Jonah functions as an anti-type of Jesus.
    When God chooses Jonah to go to a depraved people and preach repentance, Jonah runs the other way. When God chooses His Son to go to a depraved world, Jesus obeys.
    Jonah gets swallowed to the bottom of the earth and is spewed out and goes home to wait on God to call again. Jesus dies for the people whom he came to save and death cannot hold him back.
    Jonah was a reluctant preacher, knowing God extends mercy. Jesus was a willing preacher, knowing the people would not repent.
    Jonah was angry when Ninevah repented. Jesus wept when Israel refused to repent.

Jonah was a prejudiced, bigoted man. Jesus embraces all who believe.

We see our sinful selves in Jonah and we see God's mercy and grace in Jesus.

There is so much more in the book of Jonah. The big fish is a tiny part of the story and not that important.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was for this thread

• Funny Funny x 1