1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge and Jury?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dfwmia, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You obviously have forgoten the book of Ezra.
    then
    I'm sure these foreign women and Children were hurt.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You used Moses who in this instance allowed something that was never true since the beginning because of the hardness of men's hearts.

So, once I bed my lover, my legitimate marriage is over, and I'm free to marry my lover if I regret the initial act?

From the Law, Sermon on the Mount, Matt. 19 and Rom. 7., we know an offended spouse has the freedom to marry another. Again, I'm not talking about the Scriptural exception to the condemnation of divorce. I'm talking about the offending spouse, who is living in adultery with his new "wife."

I yield my thinking to the Scriptures. If you want me to agree, you should do the same.

The thing that does no on any good is to look for a way to negate Christ's judgment of a certain act.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I agree. The first marriage is the legitmate one and not the second unless the first marriage ended due to fornication. Even so, if the offender leaves his or her illegitimate marriage to go back to his or her real spouse it's a reason for celebration (if it is for reasons of repentance (wanting to do what's right)). However, the offended spouse does not have to accept the offender back. But, isn't it great when grace overrides sin and a marriage is restored back to what it is supposed to be? I would say it is.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if the second marriage has produced children... ????

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again I refer you to Ezra.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The children unfortunately are products of a marriage that never should have been. Certainly they are to be loved, cared for, affirmed, etc.. This isn't their fault. But, if the offender can go back to the real marriage then that is exactly what should happen. No one says it will be easy for what has been created is one big fat mess. But, to continue in what is clearly a violation of God's word is even worse. We serve a God of grace and mercy and who is an expert of fixing messes. But, we must first repent, and return to what is right if we are to have His full blessing.

7. Peggy

Peggy New Member

If a man is remarried to a second wife, it is unrealistic, ridiculous, and downright insane to ask him to divorce wife #2 to go back to wife #1. See, here is where the OP was saying about how legalistic we can become when we enforce our interpretations and opinions of Scripture on other people and become their judge and jury.

Scripture wisely advises us that it is better not to remarry in case of a divorce, which would certainly be better than the scenario described above. In that case it would be possible to be reconciled, or at the very least avoid messy situations.

At any rate, we are to conduct ourselves in Christian love to one another and obedience to Christ.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why does every one ingore Ezra?

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

They ignore Ezra because they don't want to face the truth. The man or woman never should have left the first marriage to begin with. In fact, the first marriage, in God's eyes, has never been annulled. The government, a judge, a pastor, etc. don't officially bring a man and a woman together as husband and wife. God does. It's to be done on His terms and it can only end on His terms. He established marriage and He set the parameters (not us!). The Bible (i.e., The Word of God) is very clear. There's no reading between the lines on this matter at all. That's the truth that many do not want to face. That's why Jesus called the second marriage "adultery, which it is" Now does that mean that God is unable to forgive. No! Am I going to stand in the pulpit this Sunday and tell all the divorced people to go back to their first marriages. No! But, when I do preach from these verses I present the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

#69 sag38, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same reason they're rejecting Christ's words on the subject. Scripture won't bow to their carnal reasoning.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But isn't there the issue of these re-married divorsees living in continued sin? Do they have to repent of that daily? See its becoming very conveluted. Should they put away their second wife and remain unmarried?

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A divorced man's second wife is not really his wife.*

*Scriptural exceptions are, of course, excepted.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly. So she should be put away and then repentance is valid because the sin stops. Right? So how does Sage38 handel that in his sermons?

14. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Have you actually observed a situation where a man will divorce wife #2 and go back to wife #1?

Or is this all pure speculation, legalism, and judgmentalism on your part?

And what if wife #1 doesn't want him back?

And wife #2 doesn't want him to leave?

Or wife #2 says "good riddance" but wife #1 says "no way"?

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Its the bible we are discussing. What do you think about what happened with Ezra? Or does the bible have to fit into your world view or paradigm?

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Is this what you're referring to?
    [​IMG]

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Always. :tongue3:

Who knows when I need to pay the boatman to cross the river Styxx.

(This will give the Rev more doubt on my baptistness)

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hahah! Good thing you didn't say anything about a paradox:

[​IMG]

Or mention Paradise:
    [​IMG]

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Deut God sets guidelines in which a divorced man may not go back and re-marry his first wife. This raises the question does God regulate things that He forbids? What a few have done here is failed to interpret a particular verse through a historical, grammatical, contextual means in light of the whole of scripture by cherry picking off one verse to support an argument that goes much deeper than attempting to establish a doctrine off of this one verse. Funny, when one considers the pharisaical “righteous” attitudes that Jesus was addressing when He answered that very question in the Gospels that one can begin to see the reasons why Jesus answered the way He did which plays a part in the understanding of His Words and some have missed this important point.

If I stated, “none of you have faith, you all have doubt in your heart, otherwise you would be able to remove a mountain and cast it in the sea” well I suppose I could then start a tread and argue off that point until the cows come home that it says what it says; sorry Charlie’s but only fresh tuna… :tear: :rolleyes:

We are told to interpret scripture line upon line, precept upon precept, and one cannot do this without regard to additional regulations and concessions such as by first failing to consider issues on marriage, divorce, and remarriage in light of 1Cor 7 where one can se the question is asked ‘Is it a good idea to remain single?” and they are told by Paul “If avoiding sexual sin requires one to get married, then get married.” And “If you can handle singleness, stay single, but this is not a command.”

It is clear that there is a difference between separation and divorce (which implies a status of being unmarried) and that in Matthew 19:8 Jesus is correcting a perception that Moses commanded divorce and this brings us back to regulations “after” divorce in which one should consider in light of the whole of scripture that God did not forbid it nor did he condone it and He does not regulate that which He forbids. (Post#20 and the first half of #21 goes into detail on this for those willing to educate themselves while considering the whole of scripture) No reason to paraphrase, “cliff note”, and spell it out till the end of 30 pages of debate for those who will refuse to go beyond forming their understandings and doctrines off of one verse.

Personally, I almost fell out of my chair laughing when TinyTim told us how he really felt when he said the argument being presented about adultery and leaving the second wife is the “Stupidest thing he ever heard”. :laugh: Ahh, the nonsense that goes on in debate on this board sometimes…

BTW, welcome to the board Peggy!

20. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Thanks, Benjamin!

Full disclosure here: I am divorced, not remarried, not looking, and definitely not looking to get back together with my ex.

I had very good reasons to divorce him that were Biblically confirmed with my pastor. This happened many years ago.