1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge Orders School to Reinstate Spanking Supporter

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by carpro, Jan 20, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200601\CUL20060120a.html

Judge Orders School to Reinstate Spanking Supporter
    By Nathan Burchfiel
    CNSNews.com Correspondent
    January 20, 2006

EXCERPT

(CNSNews.com) - A New York State appeals court on Wednesday ruled that Le Moyne College was wrong to dismiss a student who wrote a paper in support of corporal punishment in elementary school classrooms.

Scott McConnell was dismissed from the graduate education program in January 2005 because of a paper he wrote two months earlier that advocated "corporal punishment," including spanking, as an effective means to create an ideal learning environment.

McConnell earned an 'A-' on the paper but the program's director, Dr. Cathy Leogrande, dismissed McConnell on the grounds that she had "grave concerns regarding the mismatch between [his] personal beliefs regarding teaching and learning and the Le Moyne College program goals."

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Makes sense. The paper was one of opinion and material supporting the opinion. That doesn't mean that the person who wrote the paper would institute it in a classroom setting. I know teachers would wouldn't mind little electrodes on the seats to shock students when they get out of line, but.....

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnv,

I really believe a lot of the problems in the public school system today can be traced back to a teacher's inability or unwillingness to enforce discipline.

There are other issues as well, but I believe it begins there. But most children that know they don't have to behave, and attend to the task, won't.

IMHO

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree. Unfortunately, for every person who points to the lack of discipline enforecement as above, there's another person who complaining every time a teacher does try to enforce discipline. Know what I mean? It comes down to "I want them to discipline, but they better not discipline my kid".

Anyhoo, while that could be an interesting topic, it's not what the OP is about, so let us return this forum to its original upright position.