1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Judge Says Yes to Kwanzaa No to Christmas

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by leesw, Dec 26, 2007.

1. leesw

leesw Member

Memphis, TN -- Probate Court Clerk Chris Thomas of Memphis, Tennessee was told he could not have a Christmas party at the Shelby County Commission in Memphis, Tennessee on the basis of Christmas being a religious holiday and acknowledging religion is fobidden in a government building.

Henri Brooks of Memphis shortly after was allowed to book the same room for a Kwanzaa celebration. Upon realizing that Christmas was not allowed but Kwanzaa was, Thomas took the issue to Memphis Judge Walter Evans (STORY)

Please digg the story and put it on your blog so that people will see this biased decision.

#1 leesw, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Simple solution? Just have a holiday party. Include everyone and done.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder...did Chris Thomas get the day off of work on Dec. 25th? If so, then he is a hypocrite.

4. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

I live in the memphis area and have heard nothing about this on the local news. I wonder why? (Before anyone explains why I know) I am not surprised about anything in Memphis.

5. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

There's a simple difference between the two. Christmas is a religious celebration, Kwanzaa is not. Every discussion, every book on Kwanzaa mentions it is a cultural celebration of African roots.

Of course, in my opinion, Christmas is both. Our American culture has included Christmas -- therefore we should be able to celebrate it as part of our culture, just as we celebrate it as the birth of our Lord.