1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jumping Pews

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not saying that David was doing the 'Holy Spirit moon step" there, but he was definitely getting excited/emotional in his worship!

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent point. God did not say "Be still and know that I am God" so someone can do a jig on the way up to the altar.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Say, have you ever traveled through West Kentucky near McCracken County or Paducah?

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Been through there, but stopped only for an iced tea -- unsweetened, of course. We Missourians actually know how to drink iced tea.

I'm from the north part of the state, rolling-hills farm country. The Ozarks were 300 miles away when I was growing up. That's where they grow cows with left legs 18" longer than the right legs.

[​IMG]

5. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

My dads and his family were all from Salem Missouri in Dent County. Right on the edge of the Mark Twain National Forest. beautiful country

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Persons Nonsense is another persons....

....priceless moment! I did not gather from HAMel that this was confusion! It seemed to be a moment of revival and healing!

I honestly believe that a great many folks will have a certain amount of spiritual shock to deal with when they get to heaven. I seriously doubt if heaven is all neatly wrapped and organized as so many believers have it down here!

In fact, if more churches left themselves open to the movement of the Holy Ghost such as in HAMel's church last Sunday....you may witness a greater manifestation of the outpouring of the Holy Ghost and come away from your Sunday fellowship gathering, with a deeper fellowship with God that would go a long way in enhancing your fellowship with your fellow man, and then there'd be less squabbling, backstabbing, and division within the church!

I've been in a lot of services where the sermon, weekly announcements and offering were dumped in favor of an unexpected visit from the Holy Ghost.

When the environment is right, man can do one of two things,

1) He can say, to heck with the movement of the Spirit [something I call, squashing the spirit]and forge ahead with the planned and scripted service on that day....or,
    2) He can yield himself to the moving of God's presence and let an exciting experience take place. One that will enhance, uplift, and draw the congregation closer to Him and each other through being spiritually spontaneous!

Of course, just like your comment was you opinion, this comment is MHO! :type:

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just as long as there is NO 'slaying in the Spirit""Holy dancing,laughter/rolling" "shouting/running around in the Jericho march" going on!

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

I don't see the Spirit corporately being poured out on the church until just before the end times, ala the Joel prophecy. In fact, it appears likely to me that event is post-rapture and not intended for the church. What I see the Holy Spirit doing for the church-age believer is to "fill" him/her on a daily basis, which means only that we allow the Spirit freedom for Him to occupy every part of our lives, guiding and controlling us. Then His power can be exerted through us so that what we do is fruitful to God.

The filling of the Spirit does not apply to outward acts alone. In fact, it mostly has to do with our innermost thoughts and with motives of our actions. We don't have to express the ostentatious actions of dancing, leaping, or even raising hands and clapping to show this off. In fact, I'm pretty sure He prefers we quietly reflect on what He's saying to us rather than expend energy on actions that do not truly glorify Him.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF you want to see what Christians would NOT be doing while under the inluence of the Holy Spirit, just google either toronto Blessing, or pensicula Fl barking and laughing in the "Spirit!"

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks there is a HUGE difference between David "celebrating" and David "worshiping."

His dancing before the ark was a celebration, NOT worship. I am not certain that I don't agree with Saul's daughter's (David's wife) assessment of David's conduct.

The sacrifices and offerings he made six steps from the door and upon the return of the ark to Jerusalem (when it again was placed in the tabernacle) were points of worship. There was no dancing at the altar of sacrifice.

There is NO place in the scriptures were anyone danced when they were in worship of the Lord - and there are numerous statements of worship of Him given.

The only place dancing was portrayed as part of a worship was at the gold calf ceremony at the foot of the mount. God certainly wasn't pleased.

If ever there was a place in which dancing would break out, it would be demonstrated in the heavenly. But, again, there is not even a hint of such conduct given anywhere in the Scriptures.

What is the most remarkable emotion expressed?

TEARS!

Tears in heaven.

Tears that only God can wipe away.

11. shadow0421

shadow0421 New Member

In our church some people get excited. Ususally it's just waving the Bible in the air or putting up their hand with a hearty "Amen!". I've only seen one guy jog around the pews holding up his Bible during a sermon. Me personally, I'm more reserved but I can't fault someone for getting that excited if it's sincere. Only God knows their heart. My question is what are you doing for the Lord OUTSIDE of the church? I seriously doubt God's going to say, "John, you did a great job leading people to Me but I'm disappointed that you didn't sit still during the preaching. Don't act so excited." Who am I to judge?

My Pastor has said many times during his sermons that we have no problem jumping up and down hootin and hollerin for our favorite football team but when it comes to worshiping the Lord in church we are like stone statues.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

Exactly. Terribly ungodly activities transpired at those churches. Calling those events "blessings" is tantamount to blasphemy. I'm certain God doesn't want grimacing in pain to be a sign of His work!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I especially "like" the times when the Pastor down in Florida would have us ho,d to the lord telling him to punch stomachs of pregant ladies!

14. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly in my experience when the Holy Spirit comes we're respectful and quiet with some people calling out to God or shouting amens...depending on what crowd I'm in. (Usually Southern baptist or nondenominational.)

But...IDK, my experience isn't necessarily going to be everyone else's experience. I've heard accounts where people were jumping up and down and running around when the Holy Spirit came, even from people in the fundamental baptist church I grew up in. Since it's a personal matter involving personal experience, I tend to take them at their word because they know themselves and their experiences best.

#34 evenifigoalone, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Can you define and show biblically us what this "move of God" is?

Is it possible that this is language that has overflowed the banks of Pentecostalism and seeped into your psyche unbeknownst to you?

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Dancing for joy over winning a war is what soldiers and their commanders do. Even the most STIFF Presbyterian soldiers jump for joy when they win battles.

What does that have to do with how one conducts himself in worship service in the house of God?

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, the Bible is pretty clear that their will be extraordinary reverence in the presence of God in heaven. There should be the same in his house down here.

This silly, wild, emotional ecstasy IS happening more and more in this land of ours and we are seeing less and less impact due to it.

It is EXACTLY this lack of reverence for God that has led our country to hell in a hand-basket.

We are supposed to be representing an awesome God to our countrymen with our worship services. Instead we are so silly that they cannot take God seriously.

We don't need more noise and dancing- we need more fear and trembling.

I doubt the Holy Spirit had anything to do with it.

#38 Luke2427, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just that the Lord looks at the heart, as Jesus Himself stated to us that the father wants those who worship Him in spirit and in truth, so we can get 'emotional" during praise and worship, but needs to be done decent fashion, not in the excess of holy laughter, screaming, Running around marching int he church, holy dancing etc!

god sees nothing wrong, imho, with saints raising holy hands to Him in praise, nor singing with zest and zeal unto Him, for worship in heaven will be extermely loud and boisterous!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m the type of guy who feels uncomfortable with people clapping hands in church. For me, I am to worship in spirit and truth – and for me clapping and shouting would be putting on a façade. (I also hate going to ball games because of the people who shout and cheer – it interrupts my enjoyment of the game). I would NEVER jump a pew, partly because I would feel foolish and partly because I’d never get back off the ground once my knees gave way. But I don’t go to church for my comfort and there are many who do worship with these displays of emotion. It would be wrong of me to judge them based on my own experience – for them to sit in silence when being moved by the Spirit may be just as much a façade. There is too much judgment on other’s personal expression of worship (and it goes both ways).