1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you were selected for Jury duty - would you serve?

Would it make a difference if the penalty for the crime was the death penalty?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been selected for jury duty twice.
    the way it works here is that each night for a week, you call in to see if your number has been called for the next day.
    My number was not called for either time.

Now, due to medical reasons, I would not be able to serve on a jury.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it’s been 6 times I’ve served,
    4 county and 2 federal. Another time I was on call but didn’t have to go. (My wife has never been called).
    All but the last were civil cases. In every civil case no money awarded.
    This last one, this spring was a criminal case involving a local guy who was a straw purchaser of 17 firearms. I was alternate #1 so I listened to the case but wasn’t involved in the deliberations.
    Guilty, he got 20 years (64 years old).

Biden’s son has been charged with a similar crime.

Rob

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've actually sat on six different juries? Six trials? Wow. I've served on two different juries, one civil, the other criminal, both were very educational experiences for me, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

Nope.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think I would have a choice not to serve unless the voir dire questioning eliminated me.

I would have to show up and if picked for voir dire I would state that I would not agree with the government carrying out the death penalty.

I have served on two juries. I was eliminated via voir dire by the defense lawyer in another one.

The first one was just for determining sentencing.

Calion resident sentenced to five years probation in connection with January 2007 stealing spree
    By: Sara Mitchell - El Dorado News Times - Published: 05/23/2008

Christian Spall, 20, of Calion, was sentenced to five years probation during a jury trial Thursday after being found guilty of two counts of commercial burglary and multiple counts of theft of property and breaking or entering. In addition, Spall was ordered to serve 100 hours of community service by Circuit Judge Hamilton Singleton.

Spall also faces the possibility of up to $19,500 in fines which will be determined by Singleton on Thursday, June 5, in Circuit Court.

“You have dodged the bullet today,” Singleton told Spall. “You owe this community the best you can give it for the next five years. This is the last bite of this apple.”

Singleton also gave Spall the possibility of serving two years in the community correction center and/or 120 days in the county jail if he violates probation.

In February, Spall rejected an offer of 10 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction.

The second one was for someone accused of robbery. The government did not come even close to proving their case and it didn't take us long to find the defendant not guilty.

Local man acquitted of charges
    By: Allison Gatlin - Published: El Dorado News-Times 01/18/2012

His shoulders sagged, the breath he’d been holding exhaled and cries of “thank God” from his mother accompanied the announcement that Joseph Lee Ford Jr. had been acquitted of all charges against him and the petitions to revoke his three suspended impositions of sentencing denied during his trial Tuesday in Union County Circuit Court.

The not guilty verdict followed nearly seven hours of testimony but only 30 minutes of deliberation, during which the jury of nine men and three women considered whether Ford was guilty of aggravated robbery and possession of a firearm by a certain person. Taken all together with the petitions to revoke his three SIS agreements, the charges could have meant up to life plus 80 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction and a $15,000 fine for the 20-year-old defendant.
    After listening to closing arguments, each vehemently arguing the holes in the other’s case, the jury was advised of the state’s burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt and released to the deliberation room.

Only 30 minutes later, they emerged rendering a not guilty verdict.

Subsequently, the three petitions to revoke Ford’s SIS agreements — which could have gained him an additional 40 years in prison and a $15,000 fine — were denied, though Judge Hamilton Singleton still held his disbelief in the defendant’s innocence.

“I’m not impressed with your defense,” the judge said. “But while I believe you did it, this jury has spoken.”

Following the not guilty decision, a visibly relieved Ford was thankful though upon advice of his attorney, kept his words short.

Said the 20-year-old, “I’m very appreciative and I want to thank the jury.”

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let’s see… I can’t seem to remember all the court related cases over the past 40+ years.
    (1) an international computer chip manufacturer being sued for 19M by a spurned want-to-be employee. (Federal court, a 2 week trial decided by the judge right before we began deliberating)
    (2) an international hotel chain sued a local businessman saying he failed to fulfill an agreement.
    (another Federal case, another 2 week trial, innocent of charges, they made up and he joined them)
    (3) County court - a slip and fall on an ice covered sidewalk in the dark, in front of a house. Jury decided that both parties were 50-50 at fault, no money exchanged.
    (4) County Court - Straw purchaser of 17 firearms in Croydon (March 2023) 10-20 year (convicted by the jury, sentenced by the judge)
    (5) County Court voir dire - not chosen in a criminal theft trial.
    (6) Count Court on-call for a week, never called.
    I’m sure there was another jury trial episode but can’t remember now.

Then there’s a few times where a sat for depositions relating to hospital related incidents.

And twice called to testify before a jury.
    (1) gun shot incident against the perp.
    (2) hospital incident

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  8. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. I would definitely serve if I could. I think it would be interesting. (I'm dealing with some medical issues.)