1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just how inspired is the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Plain Old Bill, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been away for a while. A small matter of a 200-mile wide hurricane. But here we go. Again, the discussion is on inspiration. To wit:

Well, actually, no, my feelings are not inspired. Good thing, too, since my feelings have led me astray more than once. But when I align my feelings with the inspired word of God, then I'm fine.

"inspiration" in a biblical sense is "God breathed." The words of the bible are inspired. In our common language, we may view a magnificent sunset, get a liver quiver, and say "I'm inspired." Or we may say that Shakespeare or some artist leaves us with an inspiring feeling. But these are NOT the same as biblical inspiration. Shakespeare and Picasso's works are not God-breathed. The bible is.

But to the first point above, I respectfully disagree.

The autographs are inspired, and God has indeed preserved his inspired word through the copies. A variety of factors can confidently lead us to the conclusion that we hold the inspired word of God in our hands. Again, God preserved it.

However, we know that we have instances of known, proven printer's errors, poor translations, etc. So how do we reconcile this? Easy. WE KNOW WHERE THE COPY ERRORS ARE. We can compare scripture with scripture and identify the inspired Word of God.

But can we agree that EVERY copy of EVERY version in EVERY language is completely faithful to the autograph? I'm not ready to say that.

The bible we hold in our hands is 100%, totally inspired, as long as it's faithful to the original.

We agreed on this a good while ago on this thread (Remember....who killed Goliath?) So what's the big deal?

Interpretation is another issue for another thread.