1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justification from everlasting !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Not surprisingly, none of what you wrote here overthrows the fact that Paul wrote in Romans 4:5 that the believer's faith is accounted for righteousness.

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Thats the difference between you and me, I believe Paul means that the object of the believers Faith [which is Christ] is accounted to him for Righteousness..and you believe that a man's Faith is his righteousness.

Isa 54:17

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, (KJV)

John 1:9 That [Jesus] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (KJV)

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"we shall be saved...THROUGH HIM". By grace (shedding of Christ's blood) are you saved through faith (justification)

you have no business stating that free will is antichrist when you deny justification through faith, a major position of christendom...

5. Doubting Thomas

Amen, brother! :applause:

6. Doubting Thomas

Nope...a man's faith is accounted as righteousness because it is the means one is united to Christ (the object of one's faith) whose righteousness is then imputed (reckoned) to the believer.

"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Cor 5:21

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

What is Justification ?

What is Justification ? This word as used in scripture is never used in the physical sense as to produce an inward work in the sinner, but it is strictly forensic, and it is opposed not to our condition as sinful creatures and enmity towards God, but to a state of legal condemnation.

The greek word is dikaiōsis and means:

the act of God declaring men free from guilt and acceptable to him

2) abjuring to be righteous, justification

The word is used twice in the NT:

Rom 4:25 ;Rom 5:18

It is a term of Law and utilized in Judicial affairs conducted in a court. Those whom Christ died for stand Justified, not guilty before God, solely on the principal or ground work of Christ Blood Rom 5:9 ! And that while they are in a state of impurity and sinfulness. See Rom 5:10

8. Doubting Thomas

Once again, nothing you say here overthrows the Biblical truth (supported by numerous Scriptures) that the forensic declaration of "not guilty" by God, of imputing Christ righteousness to the believer, is to the one who has faith in Christ.

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Justification is a external act of God [upon the sinner] as a Judge, acting in a Court of Justice on guilty sinners, and not the internal work of the Spirit on the heart as in 2 Thess 2:13. God is acting upon the principal of Justice,according to His Law, He Justifies the Ungodly, and those be the Elect of God. This Justification is not based upon having been renewed by the Spirit as per Titus 3:5, nor because they have repented or believed, nor any such obedience of theirs, but solely on the Obedience and Blood of Christ. Rom 5:19

19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Rom 8:33-34

33Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

10. Doubting Thomas

God's act as Judge of declaring sinners 'Not guilty' on the basis of Christ's objective meritorious work is only to those who are united to Christ by faith, as is demonstrated by dozens upon dozens of Scriptures (and I have mentioned nothing of the work of the Spirit in our sanctification, so your point here is a red herring). You continue to ignore or dismiss the numerous Scriptures that prove this, that justification is through faith--it is not subjectively applied to the sinner apart from it.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dt:

I have not once dismissed that one is Justified by Faith. I affirm that as well Rom 5:1

1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

I have been accused of denying that one is Justified by Faith. I would like to see the quote of mine where I denied or opposed being Justified by Faith.

My Point is that Justification before God is on account,and the sole account of Christ Blood is also Taught by Scripture, and thats my presentation.

You showing me a multitude of verses stating that one is Justified by Faith has not disproved any of my points. You have yet to do that.

Now, as scripture states clearly that one is Justified by Faith Rom 5:1, it states Just as clearly that one is Justified by Grace or the blood of Christ.

Rom 5:9

9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Titus 3:7

7That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

BY HIS BLOOD ! BY HIS GRACE !

Now if you do not accept that Fact, that is on you. What you are doing, you are opposing a Truth of scripture with another Truth of scripture, thats not good.

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

wd:

Now this is a false accusation. Can you please show us where I posted that I denied or opposed Justification by Faith !

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If justification is by faith, then whose faith is it?
    When I was justified, made right in the sight of God, it was when I put my own faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I had the free will to do so.

14. Doubting Thomas

Well, you could have fooled me. Up until this point you have basically ignored the verses I've cited which teach that justfication is through faith in order to defend your position that this justification is somehow already automatically true of the (allegedly unconditional) elect from eternity even before they have faith.

Regarding your accusation that I am "opposing the Truth of scripture with another Truth of scripture", that's not true at all. Neither I nor anyone else here (with whom you are 'debating') has denied that the meritorious ground of our justification is based objective Work of Christ; we've only affirmed the equal Scriptural truth that his justification is applied to the sinner by faith. However, this accusation actually applies to you in spades. Though you (finally) say that you accept those verses which affirm justification through faith, you fail to comprehend the implication these have on the validity of the argument you've been trying to make--that justification is from everlasting for the (allegedly unconditional) elect, even before they have faith. Though you may not have explicitly rejected justification by faith, you implicitly reject that in the very argument you have been making, for when you assert that justification is true for the elect "from everlasting" and apart from belief, then you effectively render nonsensical and meaningless the affirmation that justification is through faith. So in separating the two, and then nullifying the truth of justification by faith by asserting that justification actually occurs irrespective of faith, you are the one who opposes Scripture to Scripture, and in fact overthrows the plain meaning of Scripture by the tradition of man.

The Apostles, however, as I have already pointed out, affirm and hold together both the objective work of Christ as our ground for justification AND the subjective application of the Christ's atonement to the believer through faith. For example...

"whom God set forth to be a propitiation by His blood, through faith.." Romans 3:25. Here Paul clearly links the objective act ("propitiation by His blood") with the subjective point of application ("through faith"). He reinforces this in the next verse: "...that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Christ". (*Notice it does NOT say "...whom God set forth to be a propitiation by His blood to the elect apart from faith", NOR "...that He might be just and the justifier of the unconditionally elect irrespective of faith---NO SUCH STATEMENTS CAN BE FOUND IN SCRIPTURE*)

15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk:

Thats according to you. Scripture does not state that. Paul never wrote, That he was justified before God when he put his own faith in Christ. Can you show us a testimony of that in scripture ?

I believe one is Justified by Faith before their own consciousness [Rom 5:1], not before God. They were Justified before God by the blood of Christ. Rom 5:9

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

And by Grace Titus 3:7

7That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Now you are stating that you believe you are Justified before God because of something you did.

I on the other hand believe that I was Justified before God when God saw the blood Christ He shed on my behalf. See the difference ?

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dt:

You fooled yourself into believing that. I never once dismissed or opposed Justification by Faith. I agree with it 100%. The Issue here is that you do not accept that Justification before God on the basis of His Grace apart from Faith, which the Bible Teaches. Titus 3:7

and Rom 3:24

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Paul even uses the word freely here ! The word is dōrean and means:

freely, undeservedly

It is also translated without a cause as in Jn 15:25

25But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

Christ had no reason within Him why He was hated by these people.

The elect have no reason within themselves why God Justified them.

Now the reason in vs 24 of Rom 3 is not found in the Justified ones, but God's Grace based upon the redemption in Christ blood, which agrees with Rom 5:9.

Faith of the sinner is not involved in this aspect of Paul's teaching on this issue of Justification. If you don't believe it, then find ! But don't say I have rejected Justification by Faith because of it. Thats a false accusation.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Paul did write that. He wrote it in Eph.2:8,9 and in Romans 4:1-5. Perhaps we will get into those verses later.
    Romans 5:1 does not say "their own consciousness." You are adding to the Word of God. You are inserting your own pre-conceived ideas to fit into your theology because you can't reconcile this verse with others in the Bible.
    His blood is how we are justified. Our faith is the means by which we are justified. You must take the entire Scripture into consideration not just your favorite hand picked verses.

Grace is how; faith is the means. Please learn.
    Have you ever "done faith"? How? Faith is not something a person does. It is not a work. It is not something a person does. The Bible also commands us to hope. Have you ever "done hope"? What do you do when you hope? How many calories do you expend? what kind of work is it? Hope and faith are not works a person can do. Who pays you to hope and faith?
    I see that you are one very confused person.
    How do you reconcile John 3:36 with your position.
    How do you know that God saw the blood Christ shed on your behalf? Maybe it was for some pigmy in Africa instead of you. How do you know it was shed for you? Are you a universalist? How do you know that you are one of the elect? Are you gnostic--have some special knowledge that Christ died especially for you? How do you know?

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk:

No where in those verses did paul say that he was Justified before God by placing his own faith in Christ.

It doesn't say by placing my own faith in Christ either.

Thats my Point. Faith is how one comes to know it, not cause it.

Paul says by Grace ! Please read it more carefully. Titus 3:7

7That being justified by his grace,

And by His blood Rom 5:9

9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Yes, the difference is you believe you are Justified before God because of the something you did, I believe it was because of something Christ did.

I don't see it needing reconciliation no more as I see Justification by Faith and Justification by Grace needs reconciliation. You have failed to show me why my view is in contradiction with the scriptures you have presented.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your view in in contradiction with the Scriptures in your unwillingness and total inability to reconcile John 3:36 with the Scriptures that you post.

20. Doubting Thomas

When you assert that justification can occur to the (allegedly) unconditional elect apart from faith, then you render justification through faith for this same elect superfluous and completely unnecessary--if they are already justified, how can they be further justified by faith? Therefore, like it or not, you are opposing justification by faith whether you admit to it or not. So once again, it is you who is making the word of God void by your own tradition.

And with this statement you just proved my point above. Any (alleged) justification before God apart from faith renders the Biblical teaching of justification through faith meaningless and nonsensical.

I'm sorry--where, pray tell, in this passage does it affirm that one is justified by grace apart from faith? Hmm?

Again, please show me in this verse where exactly Paul affirms that one is supposedly "justified freely by His grace apart from faith through the redemption that is Christ Jesus"? The answer is...NOWHERE! In fact just two verses down (v26), Paul clearly affirms that God justifies "the one who has faith in Jesus." (*And I'll remind you again that in verse 25, Paul states God set forth Christ "as a propitiation by His blood, through faith", not apart from faith*)

This has no bearing on your argument. Of course salvation by grace through faith is given to us undeservedly.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Seriously, with all due respect, you really need to quit with this whole line of argumentation before you embarrass yourself anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.