1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kenosis or Hypostatic Union?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mnw, Dec 15, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

In preparing for a sermon I have come across Luke 2:52, again. I have given it consideration before but never come to a full understanding.

Looking at it again, and to be consistent with what I know of the rest of Scripture, I am inclined to perhaps put into the category of doctrines of the Holy Spirit - I don't fully understand it, but it is still true.

Does this sound like someone looking for an easy out?

As I understand kenosis it comes from Philippians 2 and implies Christ emptied Himself of some of Divine attributes in order to take on humanity. Those against say that Christ could not become "less" God or His substitutional sacrifice would be null and void.

As I understand the hypostatic union it is the doctrine of Christ being 100% man and 100% God. His Deity was not comprimised by His humanity and His humanity was comprimised by His Deity.

Now, how was it, then, that Luke could say Christ grew in wisdom? I am finding tying it in with Luke 2:40 helps somewhat. But still I am not completely clear. And like I said, maybe in this doctrine it is not possible to be so.

Henry commentates on this passage:

Does it mean that as Christ grew older he became more aware of Who He was? Was there a time when Christ realised Who He was or did He always know?

My "preconceptions" would lead me to believe He always knew Who He was, yet how then did He grew in wisdom?

Any ideas?

2. mnw

mnw New Member

I just found a quote by Ryrie that seems to clear it up for me, mostly. :)

Another takers? Ideas? :)

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello mnw,

BOTH.

The hypostatic union 100% man and 100% God was in place at all times. As you rightly said..."His Deity was not comprimised by His humanity and His humanity was comprimised by His Deity".

nevertheless emptied himself….has nothing to do with removing anything from this union. It speaks of submission of attributes. It speaks of Christ faithfulness. Christ kept all of everything that was God within Him at all times. Being that He did not use all attributes of God while on earth, does not mean he did not have them to use.

"In fact, he could have called 10,000 angels." Or, He could have just open His mouth to decree something.

He submitted to the limits of the human body. He was not everywhere, for a body cannot be everywhere. He could not fly or walk though walls, with His earthly body, for we cannot do this. His glory was not fully shown, though we saw peeks of His glory at times. He submitted to death and pain that a body has. He became a "servant" to the human body and was made in the likeness of men.

Therefore we read….
    But made himself of no reputation and took upon him the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men.

In Christ....James