1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Killing a thief

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 13, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The question is not protecting family or self - it is killing a thief.

Protection of your family is one thing, your "stuff" is another.

2. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

I'm surprised to hear this. Are you sure no charges would be brought against someone for killing somebody who was stealing your tv? I was pretty sure that was against the law in all states. I think manslaughter (or the equivalent) charges would be brought against the person.

The only time charges are not brought against someone killing someone else are for self-defense or accidental shooting, as far as I know.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That is not true, unless maybe they are stealing the television off your front porch. If someone breaks into your house then you have the right to use what ever force needed to stop them. The fact that they are breaking into a home that they know has people inside, would likely mean that they have no respect to the lives of the people inside, and could be a threat to them.

If it's 2AM and dark, and I see a person in my living room trying to steal my television, I am not going to wait to see if they have a gun or a screwdriver in their hand, I will shoot to protect my family. You never know if the television is all they came for.
    </font>[/QUOTE]NetPublicist,
    Actually your wrong the law differs state to state. As a former Police Officer I can tell you that in MD and I believe most if not all States you can't shoot someone for just coming into your house. If you do and that person is not armed your in a jam. And if they prove you didn't have to shoot them example if your by your front door and you could have run away even if the person is armed your in trouble.
    I woulden't shoot them I would tell him he can have it tell him Jesus loves him. But if he makes a move toward me my family he is history.

Bob

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Theives, as a general rule don't announce their intentions. If they are in my house, they are commiting a serious crime. I don't have time to psychoanalize them. If I hesitate, my family is in danger, I will not do that. 365 days from then they will have been dead one year. Now, if they are on my porch leaving with my TV, I will not shoot them or if they are merely on my property leaving with something they have stolen, I will not shoot them. I would, however, scare the dickens out of them with some very close misses.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was right about saying that shooting someone stealing stuff in your home is against the law -- see post by NetPublicist.

Those of you shooting an unarmed thief in your home who then died would be charged with at least manslaughter whether you think it was okay or not.

I realize you can't tell if someone breaking in is armed or not or what their intentions are, but this not the situation C4K has asked about. He specifically asked if you should shoot a thief. So assume that somehow you know the person is just stealing stuff. Is it okay to shoot him? I certainly do not think so.

Shooting to defend your life or the life of your family is not the issue.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Out where we live there is usually no difference between a thief and someone threatening your family/self. Thanks to the overwhelming amount of people addicted to drugs in this area even in the safe neighborhoods it would not be safe to just let the thief go. That would be an invitation to other druggies/thieves to come on over there's a smorgasbord without protection.

Theft rings not associated with drugs usually wait until the homeowners are gone to break in. Or steal things out of yard or outbuildings. Those people I would give a chance to drop and run, but my gun would be in my hand.

To answer the question: I wouldn't hesitate to fire a gun in the direction of anyone who has broken into my home where I am alone with my children. I'm a pretty good shot and would aim for the legs but if I missed and he died, tough luck. He shouldn't have been in my home.

In this state you have a right to protect your property, even if you have to use force. I wouldn't be charged with anything.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The thought of killing anyone for any reason isn't a pleasent one for me. If someone were to break into my home in the middle of the night to steal the tv, they would most likely go deaf from my alarm system screaming in their ears. Thats why I have it. To scare thieves off so I don't have to figure out if someone is there to kill me.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Would I kill someone who was stealin' my stuff??

What stuff???

I'm basically unarmed in the house---I have firearms but they are locked in a metal cabinet---unloaded! If I heard an intruder---what am I gonna say?? "Hey, Mac! Give me a minute to hunt up my cabinet key here in the dark!"

Regardless---I know your intentions, Roger---is probably the same as mine!! Folks don't know the real "trauma" of killing someone---even if its in self-defense! Which I suppose, Roger---your question was not---shooting and killing someone in self-defense---but merely if say, you drove up in your drive and saw the dude rippin' off your lawnmower or something----in that case, Wal-mart sells too many Lawnmowers for me to risk my life and perhaps the life of the thief, too!

Can you imagine the news video on the ten o'clock news??? "Homeowner dies protecting his 16hp Murray!!" It ain't worth it!!

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we should not kill and in some situations we should lay down our lives for others.

But it's not as simple as asking if we should kill a thief.

Here in the Seattle-Tacoma area there have been several bizzare killings on the streets, in peoples homes, several with no arrests or any information as to who, why, etc.

I spend a lot of time in commuting and hear the police constantly asking on the local radio stations asking for any information concerning some person or family that was massacred.

I'm sorry if I have to kill someone and would probably carry that burden to my grave but my wife and children come before my feelings.

If some one forcibly breaks into my home, I'm not going to have a dialogue with the intruder or ask him for his resume or rap sheet trying to determine if he's here just to steal or rape or bludgeon or cut my family into pieces.

HankD

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

C4K, people keep answering your question as though it was, "Would you shoot someone who broke into your home?" instead of "Would you be willing to kill a thief?" :confused:

Of course, at this point, I am not sure I want to see the answers.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even under the law a thief was not to be killed.

But, like I said in my previous post it's not that simple.

If my dogs start barking and I hear glass or my door breaking, the scope suddenly widens as to the intent of the intruder whether a thief or a murderer. Especially here in the 21st century in a high violent crime area.

HankD

11. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

Hypotheticals are so much fun, but how many of us truly believe that ALL things work together FOR our good.(period) Can we really look at all things working for our good no matter what they are. God didn't want Adam and Eve eating form the tree of the knowledge of good an evil. We are to eat from the tree of life and NT believers. Some things that appear good are not necessarily so and the same for things that appear evil. In other words we are not to judge things by how they appear -- good or evil, but by how they establish God's will and kingdom on the earth. Some other verses to ponder.

1Pe 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness’ sake, happy [are ye]: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; (notice happy)

Ro 5:3 And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

2Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

Jas 1:2 ¶ My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

One more factor. We who are born again already have eternal life. If we die we are going to heaven. I am confident of that. The person who is killed by you is not going to have that opportunity and will spent eternity in hell.

12. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

You know when your confronted in that situation things are alot diffrent than just talking about it. I have been in shootings I have been shot. One guy said he would shoot them in the leg your so pumped up your ame is not that great I'm a expert shooter believe me its hard to hit your target. So if you shoot and miss him and the bullet goes out the window where is it going to go. I have talked to people who said they would shoot in a minute and when the situation came up they could not pull the triger they choked. My hope is I won't get into that situation, I hope I would tell Him to take the stuff and let him knows Jesus saves. But if he even blinked the wrong way and I felt threatened he is history.

Bob

13. booklady

booklady New Member

The original question was "Should a Christian kill someone who is stealing their television?"

For stealing my television? No way. But if my children were in danger you'd better believe that this mama tiger would pounce!

14. booklady

booklady New Member

The original question was "Should a Christian kill someone who is stealing their television?"

For stealing my television? No way. But if my children were in danger you'd better believe that this mama tiger would pounce!

15. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Amen! If you don't want to get shot, stay out of my house unless you have a formal invitation!

16. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

True story.

A Christian man was walking home late in the evening in NYC and turned down a side street. A man started walking toward him from in front. He also notice someone coming at him from the right, from across the street. Sensing something was wrong he glanced behind and saw another person coming from behind. He stopped and was surrounded by three men, one with a gun and was demanded to give all his money up. He responded by saying, "I belong to Jesus Christ and the wicked one cannot touch me."(IJohn 5:18) The leader of the three robbers said, "What did you say?" and again "I belong to Jesus Christ and the wicked one cannot touch me." was the response. The response from the robbers was "Oh" and they walked away and left the man alone.

17. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

I had heard that story before Now that takes real courage/faith I like that. [​IMG]

Bob

18. delly

delly New Member

If someone wants my 18 year old tv they can have it as long as they don't come into my house to get it. lol If someone is in my house, I have to assume they are there to harm me and I'm not going to have a 20 questions conversation with them to determine their intent.
    There was a case in Memphis earlier this year where some people went to an elderly couple's house and asked to use the phone. When they got inside they robbed the couple and left. A few days later another person in the same gang pushed their way into the same house, tied the couple up, robbed the couple and began beating the 90 year old woman. The old man was seated on the couch and kept a gun hidden under the cushion. He managed to get the gun and shot the robber who fled. The elderly woman died the next week and her 94 year old husband soon after. The trauma and grief was just too much for him.
    Two men and a woman were caught and are awaiting trial. I don't believe anyone could agrue that this elderly gentleman was wrong for shooting a "robber" who turned into a murderer.
    Would you want something like this to happen to your elderly parents or grandparents?

19. Rooster

Rooster New Member

If someone broke into your home it wasn;t to share the gosple, they intend to steal and or do you some harm, as a responsible gun owner the gun would be locked in a safe unloaded as blackbird pointed out, I would not shoot because I would not have reasonable access to my firearms, but I do have reasonable access to my base ball bat and would take thier head off with it.

20. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

I think Jesus said: Mt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

I don't hear anyone willing to turn the cheek. I hear a lot of resisting evil.

Some other verses:

Lu 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the [one] cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not [to take thy] coat also.

Jas 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.