1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

King David and Saul's Daughter Michal

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sis. Sarah, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they were drinking...David, the men, and the women. But it was not to drunkeness. It was a gift from David in celebration of what God had done.

2 Samuel 6:19 - "And he (David) dealt among the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to everyone a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed everyone to his own house.

The bible is not clear at all as to what an ephod is. It reads, in the descriptions of priestly garments, like a vest or an apron.

Whatever it was, David was desiring to look like someone who was a worship leader.

And Michal's accusations were not false. In her eyes, he had demeaned himself. That's because she couldn't see past her own grief and pain and see what God was doing. In her eyes, David had "uncovered himself".

Does this mean that he only had on an ephod or that she meant that he had taken off any garments that would signify his authority as king?

I don't know......but she was calling it as she saw it. Unfortunately, she should have been focused on what the LORD had done for Israel that day. But she was too consumed with her own shame that her husband and father had forced upon her.

What he was wearing is not the important thing. What she was saying is not the important thing.

What's important is what David was doing - praising God and including all the people in his celebration.

And what's important is how Michal was enduring - shame that she allowed to turn her into a hardened woman.

#21 Scarlett O., Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

According the to the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary:

"In early OT history there are references to the ephod as a rather simple, linen garment, possibly a short skirt, apron, or loincloth. It isidentified as a priestly garment (1 Sam. 14:3; 22:18). It was worn by Samuel (1 Sam. 2:18) and by David when he danced before God on the occasion of the transfer of the ark of the covenant to David's capital city of Jerusalem (2 Sam. 6:14). From it's earliest forms and uses, it appears that the ephod was associated with the presence of God or those who had a special relationship with God. It is portrayed as a source of divine guidance, as when David wanted t know if he should trust the people of Keilah (1 Sam. 23:9-12) or when he wanted to know if he should pursue the Amalekites (1 Sam. 30:7-8)."

The article also says that the ephod was associated with the high priest and was an apron-like garment worn over the priests robe, described in detail in Exod. 28-35.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

This is my interpretation only. I believe this scene is a foreshadowing of Christ’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem before His death. He is the Ark of the Covenant. So if Michal’s heart was “hardened” toward David as you have written, Scarlett, I believe her hardening is equivalent to the sometimes hard knowledge God’s Church has that it is not by the power of any other priest, even of David’s status as the Pharisees were, trying to grab the glory for the Ark being brought to us. No one could serve the Bread and Wine to Israel but the Ark Himself. Had David been more focused on the care given to the Ark instead of his worshipping and serving, he would not have been afraid to bring It into his own house. I’m afraid there will be a lot of people who will be caught in the shame of their worshipping and serving practices when the Ark returns and they discover how they have let Him slip in their life down here. Many people want to worship God without giving care to serve Him. David was focused on serving the people in deed in his worshipping practice. He should have been serving God and worshipping Him in a contrite Spirit because He is the one who returned the Ark unto the sincere like Michal, not David. God only used David, perhaps as David had used Michal and Michal knew this I believe, which is what offended David when she spoke. I have to get to work now. I look forward to your replies. And thank you, Amy, that was very interesting information. I especially like the ladies’ replies. It is good to converse about such things with other women for not all have time to do such with husbands and families to care for. God bless,

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

My interpretation is the opposite. Michal was a bitter and angry person. As she looked out the window seeing her husband returning home and worshipping the Lord, she despised him. I see no evidence that David lost his standing with God. Therefore Michal was the one who was left barren.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the question is, how are some folks saying that David was naked?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't know. He wasn't naked. Who said he was naked?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three or four people in this thread said so.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Was he bare naked nude without any clothes on?

Sorry, I've always been amused by the redundant expression "bare naked". ;)

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. He was "nekid".

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Scripture is plain. He was wearing an ephod. He was not naked.