1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJO point of view

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Winman, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want people to listen to several videos that are excessively wordy, that make use of fallacies and inaccurate claims, but you skip over or avoid considering accurate, documented evidence.

An odd omission on your part.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Horribly inaccurate and untruthful videos. They're designed for those believers who embrace, search for, and believe in chimerical apologues.

I wish believers weren't so gullible as these.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Ann, the footnote is saying Jesus is a created being. Jesus was not created, he is God and has always existed.

Jn 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

The Jews understood exactly what Jesus said here and tried to stone him (vs. 59) Jesus was saying he is God. When Moses asked God's name, God said, "I AM" (Gen 3:14).

Those persons who wrote the footnote for John 9:38 in the ASV 1901 did not believe Jesus is God, but a created being like you and I. There is no mistake here, they clearly state their view.

#23 Winman, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
  4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidently, KJV-only posters are unwilling to take 2 to 5 minutes to read documented evidence, but they encourage others to listen to one hour's worth of inaccurate and misleading accusations that falsely claim that all modern translations supposedly attack the deity of Christ.

5. marke

marke New Member

I haven't even watched the video yet, but I am KJV only, so I may lose any and all friends here in this one post for admitting those things. I do find that all modern English versions (as far as I know) have admitted such manuscripts as the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus and others which I believe were seriously corrupted. When I was studying this issue over 30 years ago I read through John Burgon's "The Revision Revised", which pretty much sealed the deal for me. I don't know ancient languages, but I have never heard or read anywhere of anyone debunking what Burgon said about some of those manuscripts which are being allowed into translation work of modern versions even until today. Perhaps that is why the instructors in the video lump all modern versions together in one group: they are all corrupted by the same corrupt manuscripts.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Logos, to be blunt, your posts are BORING. Folks do not want to be hit with a thousand points at once, it is too much to learn at once. Even Jesus told his disciples he had much to tell them, but they could not bear it at the time.

And I have seen you do the same thing to teach your preterist views, which almost everybody rejects. So quoting dozens of scholars does not necessarily convince, and is not necessarily true evidence, scholars are often wrong. Anybody can collect evidence to support a view while neglecting evidence that refutes it, the scriptures warn of folks who heap teachers to themselves (2 Tim 4:3). Not to be cruel, but this describes you perfectly. You think if you can find a hundred teachers who agree with you, somehow this makes you correct.

You could learn from that pastor, he gave simple, easy to digest points to support his view. His sermon was interesting and fresh. He did not overwhelm folks with a hundred points at once.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Truth to them is boring. They need bells and whistles, fantasticalism, rants, delusions, mysticalism and whims. That will keep them interested.

8. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PHP:
    Evidently you don't realize how long winded and boring your posts are.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can we please return to the point the thread?

My first objection to this guy's method is he is clearly cherry-picking what versions and what verses he is using.

Back to my original point. The heretical Jehovah's Witness New World Translation has no credibility to be used in any serious debate about the nature of the biblical text. It is a corrupt and destructive blasphemy of the Word of God. Any person who attempts to compare it to other Modern Versions is showing their hand outright and needs not be taken seriously. There is zero, absolutely zero, reason for taking the NWT as a comparable translation.

Now with that said there are other objections that I'll get to later on. I will also say this, I plan on using the original languages and, heck, I'll even reference the TR in doing so. This guy is approaching the entire conversation wrongly and his examples are not even good ones. Though he might be an okay communicator, at the bottom of his contention is nothing worth considering. (I'll be returning as I have time to rebutt his statements later in the week...Sunday's coming.) :)

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Was Jesus' body always existing?

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So facts i.e. truth bores you. Fiction is more appealing to you. You have an itching ear,do you?

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't own an ASV so I'm having to search online, but I can't find a footnote for John 9:38. Can somebody post the actual footnote?

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, long "copy and paste" responses bore me especially when I've seen the same information posted all over the internet for years.

Oh, and YOU also bore me! :thumbs:

#34 Baptist4life, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
  15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Apparently they took the footnote out. It doesn't appear in any online version that I can find. Does anyone even use the ASV anymore?

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Amy, that footnote is shown at the bottom of the page from the ASV 1901 Jerome provided, I just viewed it now.

Google "ASV footnote John 9:38" without quotes and you will find many articles on this subject.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, but that does not negate that Jesus is God and has always existed. The footnote in the ASV 1901 clearly says Jesus is a "creature". Jesus is not a creature, he was not created, he is the Creator. When Gen 1:1 says in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth, it is speaking of JESUS!

This footnote for Jn 9:38 in the ASV 1901 very much agrees with the JWs, they believe Jesus is a created being also. So the comparison was legitimate.

That was not the only example he showed where the MVs attack the doctrine that Jesus is the Creator and therefore God, watch the whole video.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If the Devil was trying to destroy the deity of Christ in MV's, he did a terrible job of it.

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess my initial reply will go unresolved. Makes one wonder if KJVO wish an actual critical conversation.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And He has had so much practice over the centuries too!

All the stuff I have heard over the years about the Devil being behind the new Bible translations is absurd. Satan has better plots in other areas to carry out His evil schemes. As far as I know the newer Bible versions tell the truth about the Devil and His minions. Satan has not been able to squelch the truth about Himself. He is the Father of lies. What folks are following the Father of lies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.