1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Large reptile remains found. Reported by AP

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by EdSutton, Oct 5, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's what I always understood a Leviathin to be....

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Nessie?

:type:

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, as much I love a good dinosaur story, I felt the article was a little "sensational" in referring to the extinct animal as a "monster". That makes good reading and good headlines, but not good journalism.

Yes, they found some skeletal remains of some pleiseosaurs and yes, the big one was about 33 feet long and had teeth the length of "cucumbers", but there many marine animals today are just a big and just as "scarey". But we don't make them "monsters" and this find doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the leviathan of the bible.

Frankly, to me, a cockroach is quite unnerving!! :laugh:

• blue whales=100 feet
    • whale sharks=40 feet
    • basking sharks=45 feet
    • great white shark=16 feet
    • extinct megaladons=30 feet
    • extinct super "croc"=40 feet
    • Nile crocodile=21 feet
    • manta rays=22 feet
    • giant octopus=23 feet
    • giant squid=60 feet
    As far as the leviathan of the bible, (it's mentioned 5 times), the description in the book of Job, to me, is describing a large crocodile.

[​IMG]

Job 41....God said about the leviathan that
    • its hide is not penetratable
    • you can't catch it with a fish hook
    • it's not friendly
    • fishermen can't sell it at the marketplace
    • it you tried to "wrestle" it, you would not live to tell about it
    • its teeth are scarey
    • it drags across the ground, meaning it can live on the land as well as water
    • it "thrashes" in the water making the sea "boil" (like a death roll)
    • it has no natural enemies
    Whatever this animal was or is, it is not proper, in my opinion, to label it as a "monster". Large, scarey, mankillers, majestic, or terrifying.....but not a monster.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A crocodile's hide is penetratable, and it doesn't "drag" across the ground. They are quite fast.

Job 41 could be describing a used car salesman! :laugh:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to be nit-picky, but everything is penetrable, even solid rock.

When God says, "Who can penetrate his hide?", I think He is speaking relative to all other sea creatures that can be "caught" with a simple fish hook. God is saying that this creature, beit crocodile as I believe to be or Puff, the Magic Dragon as some others believe it to be, has a hide tougher than leather. :laugh:

And again, not to be nit-picky, but yes they do drag or "trod" when they are not running. And their heavy tails and underbellies can leave trails in the mud just as verse 30 says.

Now, with all of that nit-pickiness being said, the whole point of an entire chapter of the book of Job giving the dreaded description of the leviathan and God stressing that mankind should fear it greatly is to say that how much MORE should we fear God, Himself, who made the creature in the first place.

Verse 10..."No one is fierce enough to rouse him. Who then is able to stand against Me?"