1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Latent Marxism

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Aaron, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Yes it is a denomination.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No it is not ..........Go ask Dr. Brunson, warning I already know what he will say.

3. FR7 Baptist

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ knew that Rome had a right-wing attitude toward people. :laugh:

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I gently suggest, sir, you do not know your history. Read the French Enlightenment philosophers and read the writings of the founding fathers and you will discover I am correct.

Begin with: Adrienne Koch; Power, Morals, and the Founding Fathers: Essays in the Interpretation of the American Enlightenment (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1961).

Then read the following:

Colliers Encyclopedia. Volume 15 pg. 681, The Enlightenment, Criticism and Reconstruction. Collier and Son Publishing, 1957.
    Kenny, Anthony. “The Enlightenment”, An Illustrated Brief History of Western Philosophy, Mass; Blackwell Publishing 2006, pp 266-271.
    Paine, Thomas. “Age of Reason”, Paine, New York; Literacy Classics of the United States, Inc., 1955. Pp. 731-734
    Rosen, Gary. American Compact; James Madison and the Problem of Founding. Kansas, University Press of Kansas, 1999, pp 10-42.
    SparkNotes. 26 Dec. 2007 http://www.sparknotes.com/history/european/enlightenment/section2.rhtml
    SparkNotes, 26 Dec. 2007 http://www.sparknotes.com/history/european/enlightenment/section3.rhtml
    SparkNotes, 26 Dec. 2007 http://www.sparknotes.com/history/european/enlightenment/section7.rhtml

Also Will Durant's volume on this era is very readable. In fact his entire 11 volume set collectively entitled "The Story of Civilization" is extremely readable. [/FONT]

#65 Crabtownboy, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do know my history. Whom did the founding fathers cite? That was my question.

I can find striking parallels between Plato and St. Paul, that doesn't mean Paul was influenced by Plato.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you must know that you have ask a misleading question in that our founding fathers did not footnote their writings. The footnote, as we know it now did not exist in their time.

Note the date of the origin of the word, 1835-45.

How do you know that Plato had no influence on St. Paul? Links please.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did you read your link? Baptist is a denomination, Southern Baptist is a cooperative:

"Southern Baptists are sympathetic to these concerns and so firmly hold to the principle of church autonomy and self-rule. The Southern Baptist Convention does not ordain ministers, assign staff to churches, levy contributions to denominational causes, dictate literature and calendar, or assign persons to churches according to place of residence. These are local church matters."

"The Convention is an alliance of churches working in friendly cooperation under the heading "Southern Baptist." A Southern Baptist church is about as independent as you can get and still be counted as part of a denomination(eg "baptist")."

9. FR7 Baptist

Yes, I read it and it supports my point. BTW, how do you know what my pastor would say?

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Denomination ... the meaning of the word denomination. For clarity in this discussion the definition is:

From a thesaurus:

#70 Crabtownboy, Feb 1, 2010
  11. FR7 Baptist

What I think the reverend is trying to say is that while "Baptist" fits the meaning of a denomination, "Southern Baptist" does not. But thanks for the definition, because it applies to the SBC as well and proves him wrong.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how whether the SBC is a denomination or not ended up in this thread. It is not on the topic of the OP at all. Maybe someone should start a new thread and let this one go back to its original subject....latent Communism.

Cheers.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

Why does it only seem important in a historical context?

>I do know my history. Whom did the founding fathers cite? That was my question.

No one on this list seems to care what Obama says, only the text of proposed legislation is important. Why, then, does it matter what the founding fathers cited? Only the legislation they stuck us with is important.

For that matter, the Declaration of Independence has no legislative value iin the USofA. There are no court cases on the Declaration of Independence. It is no part of US law.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

hehe yea go ask your pastor and while your there tell him he is wrong. And while you are there ask him about supporting an abortions as you do.

#74 Revmitchell, Feb 1, 2010
  15. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolded mine

Ole Paul will get an earful that he will spend the next semester trying to counter.:smilewinkgrin: Paul just might get his own personal "Hell-fire & Damnation" sermon - in abbreviated form of course!!:eek:

Mack is a local product & his mom & dad are still members at the same church Mack grew up in - all the oldsters remember him!!!:tongue3:

16. FR7 Baptist

I'm not going to dignify this with a response other than to say the bolded part is a lie.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actual I misspelled that word and it was supposed to be abortionist not abortions. And you did dignify it with a repsonse although an avoidance of the fact that your own pastor would support neither of your positions eg "the SBC is a denomination" or voting and supporting an abortionist.

#77 Revmitchell, Feb 1, 2010
  18. FR7 Baptist

Nope, I've never voted for an abortionist. I never would. If someone has performed an abortion procedure, I will not vote for that person unless they have repented. BTW, how do you know about my pastor's political views? I've never talked to him about politics. We do have a deacon who is a Democrat. I don't talk about politics very much at church because that's not the purpose of church.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I know go ask him. And an abortionist is also someone who supports the abortion cause:

a⋅bor⋅tion⋅ist
      /əˈbɔrʃənɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-bawr-shuh-nist] Show IPA
    Use abortionist in a Sentence
    See images of abortionist
    Search abortionist on the Web
    –noun
    1. a person who performs or induces abortions, esp. illegally.
    2. a person who favors or advocates abortion as a right or choice that all women should have: usually intended as an offensive term.
    Origin:

1870–75, Americanism; abortion + -ist

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abortionist

You support Obama therefore you support an abortionist.

20. FR7 Baptist

How
    do you know? My music minister once said that we should put aside our political differences at church and work together for the gospel. I think that is sound advice, so I don't talk about politics much at church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.