1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Latinos and Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Ps104_33, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I was a little disappointed when the Expos moved to Washinton DC. It is obvious to all that watch baseball that Latinos dominate the sport. Why wasnt Mexico City or San Juan, Puerto Rico considered as a site for a pro baseball team? If they were considered, why were they not chosen? I think a professional baseball team would be very sucessfull at either of these cities.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Why would they want to move them from one mess in Canada to another one in Mexico City or San Juan??

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

How do you know that it would be a mess? A San Juan baseball team would be a gold mine. Canada ia a hockey country. They never appreciated the game of baseball. The only thing I would be afraid of in Mexico City is the safety of the umpires. I 've seen what they do to them at soccer games. [​IMG]

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ps104_33,

Canada hockey country? That may be true, but Canadian cites still don't have the market for NHL teams. Most of the Canadian NHL teams have moved to the US. Winnepeg moved to Phoneix Arizona of all places!

San Juan could not sustain a Major League Baseball team, nor Mexico city (a soccer town). So the best choice was to move the Expo's to an American city.

Even though there are Latinos who play the game that doesn't mean they come from areas with an economy that can support a Major League team.

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Major League baseball is strictly American. I know there are and have been Canadian teams, but it is an American thing.

Even though we call it the World Series, we know that there are numerous countries in the world that excel in baseball including the Dominican Republic and Japan to name only two.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Actually, San Juan, PR was home to many of the Expos "home" games as an alternate site. San Juan is very pro-baseball, especially MLB baseball. Plus, they're a part of the US, which means the complications of inter-nation play are absent.

However, DC had a better infrastructure than San Juan or any other location considered, which I think is why DC was probably the best choice. San Juan may eventually have a MLB franshise, but it's probably many years away.
    So is San Juan, Puerto Rico.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

John, yes you are right San Juan was a site for several Expo games. However, hosting a few games as an alternate site is not even close to being the permanent home. It would not be a good site permanently. DC was a much better choice for the team, fans and baseball in general. I stand by my statement that San Juan or Mexico City would just be one huge mess for the team to have to wade through again.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

follow the money

luxury suites and corporate $$, not to mention lobbeyists are aplenty in DC - dont know how many you would find in PR

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was hard for US players (still a large part of each team and almost all administrative levels) to feel "at home" in Montreal - different language, customs, surly people, etc.

And moving to Mexico City or San Juan would improve that? Hardly. It was intensify the problem at least.

Having faithful fans paying $20 for a ticket and $10 more for "stuff" at the stadium is, if one is to believe teams like the Twins where I attend games, a MINOR part of the income.

Large corporations, sweetheart deals, lucrative radio and TV, et al, bring in the lion's share. And again, that will be worse in Puerto Rico than in Montreal.

They made the right choice for D.C. Just need more Black players to reflect the ethnicity of their home town . .

10. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Well, there is always affirmative action.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there is always affirmative action. </font>[/QUOTE]If we had that, there would be 90% of the NBA WHITE instead of 87% Black. [​IMG]

Quotas and affirmative action are never mentioned by Black politicians in relationship to professional sports.

Sounds like a good topic for a thread???

12. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Because sports teams want the best. Is it wrong to stereotype in a positve way as opposed to a negative way? If I said that, generally speaking, blacks run faster and jump higher than whites, is that a racist statement or a true one?

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jimmy the Greek lost his job for saying that exact thing, Ps104. He said that years in slavery and "selective breeding" like race horses, allowed them to be better physically adapted than hispanic or whites.

And "normal" blacks from Africa are somewhat different in build than the US-descendants-of-slaves.

14. OCC

OCC Guest

I think them moving to D.C. was a good thing for the Montreal fans who loved the team...it is not too far from Montreal is it?

4hisglory...you're not totally correct. Winnipeg moved to Phoenix not because they couldn't support the team. They moved because the owner would not stay. I believe there was enough of a fan base there to support the team and it was better for hockey to keep them there than to move to a DESERT.

Just for the doc...dang Twins beat my Tigers last night. Don't think for a second it's gonna happen again...after tonight...when Santana kills us.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, after the embarrassed performance of the ViQueens in Detroit on Sunday, we are glad for ANY good news . . . [​IMG]

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    San Juan has had several outstanding amateur baseball leagues for years, with the teams having a very loyal fan base...as does Santo Domingo, DR. Those fans have been quite upset with MLB for signing up every talented 16-yr-old they see, especially pitchers, as that has had some impact upon the quality of many amateur teams..

What advantages do Latino ballplayers have in developing into MLers? First and most obvious is that they can play all year 'round. Baseball is still the "nat'l pastime" in many Latin American nations. There is a large number of excellent coacher and instructors in these lands. There are the aforementioned well-organized amateur leagues. There are fewer sports to take boys and teenagers away from baseball; soccer and basketball are the main ones. Most Latino athletes commit to one sport early on and strive to be the best they can be at that sport. The absence of football is significant, leading more boys to commit to baseball.

And let's face fact...the populations of San Juan, Santo Domingo, and Mexico City do NOT spend money in the ballparks like the people in DC do. How many $35 tickets would be sold in any of those 3 cities? I have some Mexican neighbors, a proud family of craftspeople who make a handsome living making/selling genuine Mexican clothes crafts, & bling, obtaining their raw materials from Mexico. (I've helped lead them from the RCC, steering them to a baptist church.) They tell me that they make five times the money per article sold that they did in Mexico. They tell me that the average Mexican family saves money all year for one big event per year, such as a championship boxing card, a major bullfight featuring the top matadors, or a big-time soccer match. They generally don't attend sporting events regularly, not even those with free admission now that TV is widely used.(except their childrens' events) I mean, let's face reality...the large Latin American cities' populations simply don't have the money to spend week in, week out on sports.

Hey, Dr. Bob...Dem Tigres has improovd from about 8 years ago! I reckon that was the time of the bleakest summers of yer life!