1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Leading Causes of Death

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It should be illegal to be stupid, but it isn't.:laugh:

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let's get the subject back to that which the article talks about ... death of people after living into adulthood.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Looking at the charts, smoking actually contributes to a small percentage of each of the leading causes of death with the exception of 'chronic obstructive pulmonary' and 'tracheal, bronchial, and lung' and 'other tobacco-caused cancers'.

Obesity probably kills more.

I don't smoke and no one in my family does.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

In all honestly, who really cares how many people die from smoking? If you aren't intelligent enought to realize that smoking can kill you....well you get what you got coming.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Believe it or not, there are many people who smoke their entire adult life and do not die from smoking. Likewise there are people who never smoke and die of lung cancer. My cousin died in 1970 in her early forties. She never smoked.

6. targus

targus New Member

I find it interesting that if you thought that you had only one more year to live that rather than using it to do the greatest good that you were able that you would chose to use it to gratify yourself.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Hey..he's spending his non-dying years saying that we should murder poor people. I for one would rather him sit around and eat ice cream!

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

:thumbs:

apparently my message was too short, so this is an addition to my too short message

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

so apparently we need to murder children becasue they might get welfare, oh biy, how about the babies whose parents weren't poor and wuld not ahve been on welfare. Man you'll search for any poor excuse to murder a child won't you, this beats it all, this has sunk as low as it can.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

>if you thought that you had only one more year to live that rather than using it to do the greatest good . . . .

Every day I become more cynical. I got tired of shoveling sand against tide several years ago. Yes, doing good boosts one's ego in the short run but nothing is going to change until Jesus returns. "This is my father's world . . . ." He hasn't told me his plan.

Or maybe the Rapture occurred in 1888 and we have been living in the Tribulation all our lives. Thousand years is like a day and all of that. Can anyone provide evidence that the Rapture didn't happen long ago?

11. targus

targus New Member

Doing good isn't about changing the world.

It's about obedience to the command to love your neighbor.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Can't it sometimes be both?

13. targus

targus New Member

Sure, but my comment was in response to billwald's remarks about his feelings of "shoveling sand against the tide".

We can't end world poverty but we can help one person not feel so hungry for at least one day.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's true. "The poor you will always have, but you will not always have me".

15. billwald

billwald New Member

>It's about obedience to the command to love your neighbor.

OK, what would be this century's interpretation of Jesus' teaching? His idea seemed to be that our neighbor was anyone with whom we personally came in contact.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If that ws Jesus' definition, then today's definition would be anyone with whom we personally come in contact. However, I'm not convinced that this how Jesus was defining "neighbor".

#36 Johnv, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  17. targus

targus New Member

Interpret it anyway you wish.

If you want to limit it to anyone with whom you personally come in contact with then so be it.

Perhaps you have relatives in need - be those emotional, financial or in need of some other sort of help.

Walk into the local homeless shelter and introduce yourself and help out.

Pick someone at your church that needs help and then give it to them.

What's with the questions anyway?

As a Christian you should already know exactly what it means to love your neightbor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.