1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Learn In Depth Roman Catholic Theology in One Minute Seventeen Seconds

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Catholics still observe abstinance on Fridays. "It is a traditional doctrine of Christian spirituality that a constituent part of repentance, of turning away from sin and back to God, includes some form of penance, without which the Christian is unlikely to remain on the narrow path and be saved (Jer. 18:11, 25:5; Ez. 18:30, 33:11-15; Joel 2:12; Mt. 3:2; Mt. 4:17; Acts 2:38). Christ Himself said that His disciples would fast once He had departed (Lk. 5:35). The general law of penance, therefore, is part of the law of God for man."

The Church for her part has specified certain forms of penance, both to ensure that the Catholic will do something, as required by divine law, while making it easy for Catholics to fulfill the obligation. So the 1983 Code of Canon Law specifies the obligations of Latin Rite Catholics [Eastern Rite Catholics have their own penitential practices as specified by the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches].

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Walter, what does all that have to do with the Pope changing his mind about eating meat on Friday? It was once wrong, now it isn't. God's word does not change, but men do.

3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AiC:

Baptist Scandals

These are just a few of the Baptist sex abuse and cover-up scandals that received more extensive press coverage. You can see more stories about individual perpetrators on the News page. But whether a scandal is big or little, clergy sex abuse always carries a huge human cost.

“The world is too dangerous to live in -
    not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/twiceblind/BGCT.html

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/bellevue

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/gilyard_and_patterson.html

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/twiceblind/FBCFarmersBranch.html

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/greenwood.html

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/sbc_ministers.html

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/westside_victory_baptist.html

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/trinity
    Southmont Baptist Church, in Denton, TX

http://www.stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/southmont
    Westside Victory Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX

Please don't continue to tell me about how 'we always turn them over to the police'. There is example after example of just how that is absolutely not true. This is just a few examples of Baptists covering up sex abuse scandals. I notice my old church didn't make the list but it sure qualifies for it. The filth in my Baptist church not only covered it up but continually lied about it until they were exposed. Then and only then they 'repented'.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your websites are bogus. I don't know what you are talking about. Any person that has been involved in any kind of scandal is automatically disqualified from the ministry. He can't even pastor a church any longer. And yes, he is turned over to the police. I don't know what kind of churches you are referencing, but they are not the kind of churches I would go to. There are churches that wear the name Baptist and have a homosexual as a pastor. We had one such man as a member here for a short time. I don't consider them Baptist, but they have the name. I can't do anything about it. I can't do anything about the practices about some churches. The churches that I associate with are in complete compliance with both the Bible and the law. According to the Bible they are immediately disqualified form being pastor. According to the law, they are criminals, and dealt with as such. According to the Vatican they are moved to another parish. :rolleyes:

5. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you even know what your are talking about when you say 'the Pope changing his mind about eating meat on Friday'? Are you trying to say that the pope changed a dogma or that not eating meat on Friday was an 'infallible' teaching of the Church? Are you also saying that abstaining from meat on Friday was the only way one could keep the Friday abstinance requirement in the entire Catholic world? Would it surprise you that the Bishops conferences decide what is required to keep the Friday abstinance requirement and that may be actually 'adding prayers' or 'alms giving' or some other requirement? Would it surprise you to know that in my diocese the bishop decides what is required for abstinance and not the pope? Would it surprise you if I were to tell you that in most parts of Mexico, abstaining from meat and eating fish would not be a sacrifice (price and scarcity of fish) so other types of abstinance are in place?

6. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Walter,

Does listing all the Baptist "scandals" somehow "justify" all the "scandals" in the RCC? Do two wrongs make a "right"?

7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I commend you for not associating with any church that would behave as the churches and pastors of the links I listed. I also commend any church that behaves in compliance with the bible and the law in cases of sex abuse. I wish my former church would have done so. I began attending an Ev. Free church after the elders refused to admit wrong doing and cover up for so long.

However, to say that the Catholic Church continues to move sexual predators from parish to parish would be speculation on your part. I don't believe anything like that is going on in my diocese, but that is speculation as well.

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Never said it did. I was responding to those who would continue to bring up the past sexual abuse cases in the Catholic Church as if nothing like that ever goes on in Baptist churches.

9. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The bottom line is that Rome preaches "another gospel" and is led by "another spirit" and believes in "another Jesus" than what the Bible teaches.

Neither you, TS or any other Catholic advocate on this forum has been able to respond intelligently to my post on Romans 4:6-8 and the Catholic Church Catechism about circumcision.

Abraham is the New Testament mold for defining justification by faith in regard to:

1. Works - Rom. 4:1-6
    2. Ordinances - Rom. 4:9-12
    3. Mosiac Law keeping - Romans 4:13-15
    4. Definition of justifying faith - Romans 4:16-21

Romans 4:6-12 completely dismantles the whole Roman Catholic doctrine of Sacramentalism and denies that "sign" and "seal" external rites have any sacramental value whatsover as he already "HAD" the righteousness of justification BEFORE he was circumised and thus was justified WITHOUT external divine rites.

He was already justified by faith in the gospel (Gal. 3:6-8) BEFORE he left Ur of the Chaldees as Genesis 12:1 uses the perfect tense "HAD".

His OBEDIENCE in going out from Ur to Palestine was PARTIAL and thus IMPERFECT OBEDIENCE as he did not leave his kindred when he left Ur. He did not leave his kindred when he left Haran and that is precisely why he was reminded at Haran what the Lord "HAD said" to him in UR when he received the gospel by faith but then IMPERFECT obedience followed.

If sacramentalism falls, the whole Roman Catholic Church falls and it falls before the mighty Sword of God's Word in Romans 4:6-12.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

I prefer "The Old Dope Peddler."

11. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Well, if we are going to poke fun at our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ, how about a good "Baptist joke"?

Here goes: St. Peter was giving a tour to some new arrivals to heaven one day. The new arrivals were a mixture of Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Assembly of God, Lutherans, Roman Catholics, and Greek Orthodox.

St. Peter showed them the streets paved with gold, the stately mansions of the Twelve Apostles, and other spectacular sites in the Celestial City.

However, at one point in the tour, St. Peter turned to the group and whispered, "Shhh! Be VERY quiet while we pass by this next building."

"Why?" asked someone in the group.

"The Baptists are inside. They think that they are the only ones here!"

a Lutheran Christian
    www.LutherWasNotBornAgain.com

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If it is not one scandal, it is another.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/popes-butler-placed-under-house-arrest-vatican-180419714.html

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is really hillarous since Catholic doctrine boils down to saying all not members of the one true church, the RCC, are headed for the Lake of Fire.

If you are going to tell a good Baptist joke, make it realistic, like

Jews do not recognize Jesus
    Protestants do not recognize the Pope
    Baptists do not recognize each other in a liquor store

14. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

I like your joke, brother!

However, your comment about the RCC condemning all non-Catholics to hell is incorrect. The RCC, as well as Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox, and Anglo-Catholics believe that anyone who professes Christ as Savior and has been baptized in a trinitarian Christian church, is a Christian.

They may consider you a heretic, but they still consider you a Christian.

a Lutheran Christian
    www.LutherWasNotBornAgain.com

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

But then by that definition they don't consider Quakers and Salvation Army members Christians, and yet members of these two denominations have followed Jesus more consistently than most.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And my Auntie was a Catholic nun who is now a serious Christian who works hard to pull people out of Catholicism. She has converted most of her 5 children & two have their own ministries.

17. targus

targus New Member

Nuns have kids now?

#37 targus, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  18. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And my Aunt was a Baptist missionary, now a serious Catholic who works hard to bring the love Christ to the lost.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, after they leave the order

#39 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith: