1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Learning the books of the Bible

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think is the best way for adults to learn the books of the Bible?

Would you say plain memorization? How about getting similar Bibles and then just have the Bible study group go to page (whatever)?

Any other thoughts?

Salty

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've found that when I help people understand how the Bible is constructed, the major divisions, that helps in understanding the order of the books that comprise the Canon.

Most adults think that the OT is all chronological, with the Psalms stuck in the middle. Also understanding that Paul's epistles are ordered not chronologically (when written) but in order of length is huge for some people.

I just worked in the books long enough that I know them...sort of like knowing your ABCs...or alpha, beta, gammas...or aleph, bet, gimmels...;)

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There was a Christian rapper in the early to mid 80's that had all of the books of the Bible in order in one of his songs. I was around 13, 14 when I learned them all, and can still "rap" them to this day. :)

Man, I wish I could remember his name...

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There was a tape (pre-CDs) that my girls had called "Bible Break" where they did the books of the Bible to songs. I learned the books of the Bible in 4th grade so I remember them really well. I think any student of the Bible should learn where the books are - it's important, IMO. I would NOT get a set of Bibles so you can say "go to page....." because that's just a crutch. How would they find books on their own? When I've been around people who don't know the Bible well, I'll give them some hints - Psalms is in the middle of the Bible, Romans is in the New Testament after Acts, which is after the 4 gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. If I want them to go to Ruth, I'll tell them to go to Psalms and turn left - it's after Judges and before 1 and 2 Samuel - You know, that kind of thing. If they really need help, that's what their table of contents is for. :D

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

THAT'S IT!! That's the one I used to learn them all! Thanks:wavey:

6. palagislandgirl

palagislandgirl New Member

I agree. Don't get a set of Bibles so they can just turn to that page. It will take a little longer for everyone to find the text but learning to find them in the table of contents may be the best way to be able to locate the book that you are in. After a while-everyone will be able to turn right to where you are going.
    :godisgood: