1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lenten Fish dinners

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

You better believe I'll eat a good fish dinner at a Catholic false church, if offered. I love fish.(as long as it isnt that nasty tasting catfish)

There might even be some christians there. :thumbs:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it doesnt bother you that your money is going to further Catholic false doctrine

3. Alive in Christ

What, all $5.00 or so of my money???

C'mon. :rolleyes:

If some of it goes to a Catholic soup kitchen, feeding hungry people, that'll be fine with me.

That false church is not going to get any significant support from me, and many times an occasion of this sort leads to witnessing opportunities.

Would you have criticized Christ, with those others, when He allowed the prostitute to minister to Him?

??????

#43 Alive in Christ, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two excellent points you brought up :thumbsup:

5. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Amen - whether that religion be Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, Quakers, Shakers, or candlestick makers!

WM

6. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Some people around here never miss an opportunity to attack the RCC. Ironically, not so long ago, I saw an add here for a Catholic Institution. Baptist Board certainly doesn't seem to have a problem accepting Catholic dollars. Hmmmm...

WM

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

My understanding is that the ads appear courtesy of Google, and that they vary according to your geographical location, and according to the content of the thread.

I don't imagine American members see an add for:

Christ Church Leamington A family Church with a warm welcome www.christchurch.org.uk

But I may be wrong. :)

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

If they were very evangelistic, it might bother me more, but mostly, they cater to their own with more bingo, drinking, etc.

Like I said above, if we are going to start playing that game, we'll end up with nothing we don't produce from our own hands, and we can't use any tools, etc., to do it, because every single company in the world is given to something that is not overtly "Christian" in their means, finances, etc.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference is these dinners, ect are fund raisers. Often a store may sell the food at cost, below cost or even in some cases donate it. (and I have no problem with a business that does that -) Thus very little overhead - more for their "evangelism"

Alive in Christ stated: "and many times an occasion of this sort leads to witnessing opportunities."

Just curious - what results have you had witnessing at such events

When It comes to a business, I prefer to patronize a Christian business as a rule.

10. Alive in Christ

Salty...

I've never gotten a conversion on the spot, but I have gotten some "I'll have to think about that" type of comments.

I call it "seed planting".

AiC

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer to patronize businesses that treat their customers and employees well. Sometimes they are "Christian" (just how does an entity follow Christ?) and sometimes they are not.

Back when I was pastoring, I got into a bit of trouble with some of my church members over where I went to wash clothes. One of the laundromats was owned by "church members" who hadn't darkened the door in more than two decades. I went by to visit them when I first arrived at the church and was told they had absolutely no interest in the church anymore and they would appreciate it if I never contacted them again until it was time to do their funerals. The other laundromat was owned by a couple who owned a drive-through beer barn. (For those who don't know what that is, it is like a garage where you pull you car into the building and they load it up with alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and snack food.) The laundromat was connected to the side of the beer barn as a side business.

I always took my clothes to the beer barn and talked to the couple that owned the whole enterprise. I got to know them after a visit or two and when they found out I was one of the three Baptist preachers in town, they were shocked. I had a number of opportunities to plant seeds and provide a gospel witness to them. On one occasion, I was also able to provide comfort and guidance to them when a family member had unexpectedly died, sharing the gospel and taking care of some of their emotional and spiritual needs.

When criticized by a few of the church members for associating with people like that and putting quarters in their laundry machines, I pointed to the example of Jesus. I believe my presence there as an ambassador of Jesus was an effective witness to them in a town where religious people usually shunned them.

I don't know where they are in relationship to Christ at this time (this was over 20 years ago), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in eternity.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A shop for groceries in a store owned/operated by Mormons. My car dealership is owned by Catholics. My insurance man is Wisconsin Lutheran. The rstaurant owners are Buddhist. The gas station is Unitarian/Universalist owned. And the ice cream shop is managed by Cruisematics.

The FOE (Fraternal Order of Eagles) has great breakfast specials. I perform many weddings at the Elks and the Moose auditoriums. The American Legion just opened a top-quality restaurant and the VFW has a club atmosphere that plays only country music.

Seems like no matter WHERE I spend money or eat out I am de facto supporting something I do not like or agree with. I even pay my taxes to the government that uses some to kill babies and send innocent soldiers to die for no good reason.

It's called "life".

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look! A man [who is] a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is proven by her actions.”

13. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There you go with logic and reason again, Dr. Bob.
    We'll have NONE of that here, sir.

14. Alive in Christ

Dr Bob...

Why, I'm surprised at you.

Dont you know whe are suppossed to seperate from the sinners, and only patronize people of "our kind", and not give our money to those "sinners" over there, but only deal with christians...and if possible, only the Baptists?

Arent we??

ARENT WE ?????

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now for the rest of the story - There is a reason I use my Christian Business Directroy for services and product. I prodcued the CBD thur our Christian radio station and since they advertised with me I prefer to support them.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly understand that, but I kind of dislike the whole “Christian Business Directory” for a few reasons:

1.) In general, I don’t like the name “Christian” attached to anything that is not a person. Certainly, a school or church that identifies itself as Christian is telling the public where they stand in regarding to theological issues. And a Christian book store is identifying its area of specialization, but beyond those examples and probably a few more, I don’t like it. I believe it cheapens what it means to be a Christian.

2.) The Christian Business Directories I have seen make a point of telling Christians they need to spend their money within the household of faith, whenever possible, instead of spending it among the unchurched. I can find no biblical basis for this position, although I see Galatians 6:10 misused as the proof text for it. To the contrary, I think if we are to be salt and light to the world, we must constantly seek to broaden our relationships with the community around us, allowing us to influence others and share the gospel in word and deed as we do business with the lost world.

3.) Frankly, if a business feels the need to rely on the owner’s “Christian” pedigree to market their services, I have to wonder how good they are at what they do. If a business treats me fairly and honestly, does good work, and is concerned about my satisfaction, they have my business… even if it costs a little more. I’ve had very mixed results when dealing with allegedly “Christian” businesses. They may say “God Bless” when I greet them, but if they don’t fix my car properly or do a nice job of painting my house, I don’t want to deal with them.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying it is a Biblical position - and conversely Scripture does not prohibit us from giving Christian Business a preference.

As I mentioned before - our CBD was done thur our Christian radio station. Very few secular business choose to advertise on a Christian station.
    Therefore, I encourage people to support those business that support Christian activities.

I do not have a problem in itself doing business with a non-Christian and yes it is an opportunity to witness. But really are we actually taking the opportunity to share the Gospel with those we do business with.

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes sense to me. (Again, I'm not condemning you.) Christian radio stations usually struggle to stay on the air.

Not every transaction, but over time, I usually get several opportunities.

19. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I started visiting this site there was an advertisement that kept appearing for a place selling counterfeit watches.

To answer the question about eating Catholic fish- I've no problem with it, especially if it's salmon:praying:! (I know it'll never happen)

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmmm, I haven't seen our local Catholic Church do a fish fry.

They make a mean smoked pork butt and yummy ribs though! Usually around the superbowl, the 4th, and Labor day (traditional southern days for bbqing). (supports their local Hispanic mission)

My backyard neighbor sells me one about every time they get out the smokers. Wanna know the effect?

Even though I run a herd of dogs in my backyard and my limbs from some of my trees overhang her fence, she speaks highly of me to others. However, one of my next door neighbors (who has been in the neighborhood much longer than I) NEVER buys from her because she is Catholic because of this idea that Baptists shouldn't "support" Catholic causes and her opinion of him is not so good!

Christlike means Christlike. If Christ could sit with the tax collectors and heathen than I can buy a pork butt every now and again. Who knows what the effect on eternity might be. (I also buy from public school fundraisers, hmmm I wonder where those cookies are I ordered?, girl scout cookies and the like) Folks need to concentrate on the good, not the bad.